Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Charger for Non-Tesla EV (with PW3/solar)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently planning a PW3 with 12kW solar install (when released in Australia). Also planning an EV purchase around the same time (not a Tesla, most likely VW group). Intention is to charge off excess solar.

Is there any advantage in going with a Tesla charger in this situation? My reading is that the smarts with a Tesla charger/ecosystem (eg Tesla Charge on Solar etc) requires you to have a Tesla vehicle. I wonder if they'll support this function with non-Tesla EVs down the line.

Charge HQ is one alternative to provide excess solar EV charging but does not support the Tesla Charger without a Tesla EV. They support many other EV chargers to support this feature e.g. Wallbox.

Is there an option to go Tesla Charger with CTs to achieve this same thing?

Any point going with a Tesla Charger in this scenario?

Tesla has only recently released a "charge off excess solar" function and after seeing others report that it wakes their car up all the time, I dont use it.

I would say that in your situation you probably want something that others in your area use, like charge hq or a wallbox or something. I dont see any specific benefit to getting a tesla charger in your case. You would really want to get the universal one, and I dont think you will find it doing anything with excess solar you cant do with something else, at least as well.

If I go with a non-Tesla charger (eg wallbox) with a PW3, how do I get those neat graphs/visuals showing solar production, battery charge/discharge, grid import/export *and* EV charge simultaneously (like below)?

Can the Tesla app still show this with a CT on EV charger circuit, or do I need a third party service eg Charge HQ etc?
1000081395.png

If I go with a non-Tesla charger (eg wallbox) with a PW3, how do I get those neat graphs/visuals showing solar production, battery charge/discharge, grid import/export *and* EV charge simultaneously (like below)?

Can the Tesla app still show this with a CT on EV charger circuit, or do I need a third party service eg Charge HQ etc?
View attachment 1033790

This graph is not generated by anything from Tesla itself. You would need to see whatever third party solution you are looking at that is generating that graph supports your wall charger.