Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar + Powerwalls Install Fails City Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 weeks ago this Wednesday 11/20/2019 the City Inspection failed so could to move forward with the Interconnect to SCE.

I understand these things happen and fully expect a quick fix to resolve the issue. But no, I have not hear from Tesla on how they plan to resolve this issue since it failed.

I reached out the day after it failed the inspection and got a return call that they will work with the City to get it resolved. I have not heard back since. No reply to my text and no reply to my emails.

I left a message with them 30 minutes ago. I guess I will have to now go through the long process of escalating this issue. What a pain. Can they not simply do their job!!!!!

Be very careful with Tesla Energy. I am not the only person they will not communicate with when there are issues. See others on this forum.

Some details: I believe the problem is that the City wants them to replace all of the Breakers they put in the new sub panel and also tie down the breaker in the main panel that feeds the sub panel.

The other open issue is that they could not get the sure start working in my AC. But this is not related to the City.

When an AC starts up it draws to much Amps (I think this is what it is) which can put too much strain on the Power Walls. Especially when you only have 1 battery (I believe). I have 2x Powerwalls.

The SureStart causes the AC to start with less Amps and builds up slower. That is my understanding.

Thanks. I have heard of something called soft start that sounds like the same thing.

Can you expand on this? Why replace the breakers and what is meant by "tie down."
I was able to get them to address most of my problems today. The city wants them to use ARC Breakers. The electrician said they tend to trip more and prefers the other breakers that they installed but if the city wants these they will put them in. Doing that now and the AC kit.

In the main panel there is only the 200amp main breaker and the 100amp breaker used for the new backup panel. The inspector does not want the 100amp breaker to move. The other words are hold down kit (tie down).

The manufacture of my panel had no option for this and no third party option so I was told today looks like I will need to replace the main panel to be able to satisfy this requirement. This has been the hold up but was kept in the loop. Still waiting on that.

Reactions: charlesj
I was able to get them to address most of my problems today. The city wants them to use ARC Breakers. The electrician said they tend to trip more and prefers the other breakers that they installed but if the city wants these they will put them in. Doing that now and the AC kit.

In the main panel there is only the 200amp main breaker and the 100amp breaker used for the new backup panel. The inspector does not want the 100amp breaker to move. The other words are hold down kit (tie down).

The manufacture of my panel had no option for this and no third party option so I was told today looks like I will need to replace the main panel to be able to satisfy this requirement. This has been the hold up but was kept in the loop. Still waiting on that.
I called the City directly today and found out that the inspector wrote on the notice incorrectly. He said that what is needed is to place a hold down (tie down) on the 2 breakers for the 2 Power Walls and NOT the 100am breaker in the main panel. I said but he wrote "in main panel". He said yeah that was written wrong. And per Tesla this is a much simpler fix and will be done today.