Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar + Powerwall Quote/Plans Received Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very excited and very likely moving forward once we get a few kinks worked out. As expected from reading posts on this forum, my adviser does not seem to be very knowledgeable about the system. Its very frustrating. But he was nice and it seems I will get what I was looking for. I'm going to just list out some things for feedback and for others still waiting on quote for what to expect.
1. 11.65 kW solar proposed with one powerwall and partial backup. Standard rate of $2.65/watt for solar plus $6,700 for powerwall, $1,000 for gateway and $2,750* for powerwall install and additional hardware. I'm hoping the "*" after the price means includes everything and not excludes anything that comes up.
2. The solar plan indicated 37 panels split pretty evenly between west, south and east facing roofs. The plan also indicated 2 inverters and 3 rapid shut down devices. I think the "D" is for disconnect and "B" is for battery, but I'm unsure what two "LC", one "ESS", and two "AC" symbols are for. I requested an alternate panel layout with a few more south facing panels and combining east/west to just east (PV Watts indicates 5% better production on east facing and there is also less tree shade). When I asked if I could reduce panel count or only in 4kW increment per the new online quoting method, his response was that mine is a custom design still so I can customize it. I first started the process prior to the new 4kW levels, lower pricing and no site visit, but they are honoring the new price per watt. I think I'm getting the best of both worlds, which is why I'm planning on moving forward and locking it in!
3. My main concern is the production amount per kW of solar panels. Tesla quoted 1,160 kW/year per kW in one setup and 1,050 kW/year per kW in another. PV Watts indicates 1,500 kW/year per kW on east and about 1,300 kW/yr per kW for east/west for my location in South Florida. When I asked adviser why so low and if they are conservative in production value, his response was that it could vary and they take shading into account. I have some large oak trees near the house, but not really sure how much they take those into account. The difference between the 1,400 I was expecting and the 1,100 quoted is a big impact (20%) on how much the solar end is costing me over the life on the equipment. Its now more expensive than power from FPL when splitting cost over 20 year loan with interest, but that also assumes power rates stay the same as they are now. I'm still going to move forward, but I wish I could know for sure if production is going to be 20% better than quoted for my peace of mind.
4. The cut sheets were helpful to understand the components. Clamps (S-5) for standing seam metal roof attachment, rapid shut down device (Delta), inverter (Delta with Solar City label), Trim pieces (ZEP Solar), solar panels (Quantum Duo).
5. The warranty of the different devices per the adviser was conflicting with the cut sheets. I asked for actual warranties to better understand. He explained the inverters had a 20 year parts and 10 years labor, but the cut sheet only indicates 10 years. The solar panels indicate 12 year product warranty and 25 year performance guarantee. When I asked the advised what if the panel just craps out in year 13 and his response was that then its covered by the 25 year performance guarantee and then gave me some line about no moving pieces in solar so nothing to worry about.
6. I requested whole house backup and its looking like they can do that with two powerwalls. Waiting on updated quote.

Next steps are applying for loan (did it already, very simple) and then signing tesla install agreement and loan agreement.

Update after call today.
1. Second Powerwall looks like it will be $6,700 installed. Adviser has no idea what the " * " stands for.
3. Adviser basically disregarded my proposed layout and said the designers came up with a new layout due to wind requirements in Florida. But this was the same plan online before I sent him my layout. I asked him to go back to designers and request something closer to my layout and that I want higher producing panels over panel quantity.
6. I found warranty info in a 14 page contract that could be downloaded after clicking "review and sign contract"

I also came up with a few more questions if anyone knows about FPL in Florida and their rules. I remembered there was a 10 kW rule where if over there are more fees and insurance required.
A) Does anyone know what solar size the 10 kW rule kicks in, I think its power going to grid after accounting for losses, so maybe 12 kW is ok.
B) Does anyone know what the increase in insurance coverage is for $1M liability per year? Do they check every year or just initially?
C) FPL net metering vs FPL tiered rate structure. I was hoping to offset the more expensive electricity by getting a system that only offsets half my energy needs, buy I was using the average month use and production, but in reality I'll only get credit for the higher rate in 7 months and the other 5 months will be a mix of higher tier and lower tier since I will be using less than 1,000 kW. I guess this one inst a question, just looking for confirmation I am correct in my logic.
D) I thought from previous research that FPL wouldn't give you money for excess solar and credits expire at the end of the calendar year, but the FPL website indicates they will apply a cash credit in January for any excess at the end of the year. Is this the case? If, so, i guess you don't benefit from the taxes on the kW savings, just the raw lower tier of around $.09/kW.