Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As @RagingWhisky says, DNO approval does seem a postcode lottery.
what I can’t understand is why.
I have one set of panels that are allowed to export and one set that aren’t. My Powerwalls can’t either but not that I would want them to.
I could in theory double the number of secondary panels without issue.
If I’m exporting, my secondary panels shut down. They light up again if start using more than I’m generating. How hard is that?
Surely if panels and batteries can be set not to export, why on Earth can only some of us get approval for what we want?

agree - they have a 3.68kw ‘limit’ for the assumed consent and inform option, but is that allowing up to 3.68kw export (or are they assuming some level of self consumption?). You should be able to have any home setup that is guaranteed to not exceed that level of export and still only be inform. Eg a 20kw pv and 5 powerwalls shouldn’t matter as long as its set to no more than 3.68kw export.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I have a quote for a 5.6kwp array (14x400w panels) 3.68kw inverter, zappi and a 10kwh battery. Installation is in Scotland. Installer highly recommends the 3.68 inverter rather than upping to a larger inverter. It will clip to the battery so I am told but can’t help thinking installer can’t be bothered with the DNO paperwork. Excess over 3.68kw may only be for a few mid summer months. Does anyone see any issues with the 3.68kw inverter?
If it was me I'd rather have the capacity to use all, yes maybe only for limited months admittedly but that's just my opinion

Isn't it quite common practice to "oversize" the PV array... ie. have say, 4.5kWh of solar panels, but only a 3.5kWh inverter... I think the logic is that a) the inverters can for short periods cope with more and b) solar panels almost never generate what they say on the tin... the peak output quoted is, like WLTP a figure only ever achieved in a lab in ideal conditions.

I'm perhaps over playing that... but I swear I'd read it... and indeed here's the first google result telling you why: Why Should You Oversize Your PV Array?

So yes, maybe they don't like dealing with the DNO (it's not just paperwork, there's also a significant delay), but also perhaps this is why.

Reactions: Sixer
I thought that on the two, maybe three months that I may go over 3.68 it would just clip to the battery i.e charge it. On those months I would charge the car more. I understand a £650 charge is applicable for DNO approval

I thought that on the two, maybe three months that I may go over 3.68 it would just clip to the battery i.e charge it. On those months I would charge the car more. I understand a £650 charge is applicable for DNO approval
Check who your local one is as some don't charge I'm with Western Power and they currently are free.

More info on the 0% VAT from QrizB on another forum:
Bad news for DIYers, it seems the reduced rate of VAT only applies to installed products
:(

I read it here:
Budget 2022

yes but isn’t 5.6->3.68 a bit *too* clipped?
I agree with you. I was told that total potential generation of up to 15% over the rated Inverter limit was acceptable but more than that and it could damage the inverter. My roof isn't true South - more SSE and my 4.380 panel output into the 3.68 inverter would be within tolerance. All I know is that on reasonably sunny days my system is running at its max of 3.68Kw for hours.

It’s a super crappy day here - raining, cloudy. But I’m still trickling in 200w from solar which is almost covering my daytime baseload

Must be the right kind of cloud because sometimes I get 0 and this seems pretty much worst case

Very dull this morning but covering 400wh baseload.
the afternoon perked up a little and produced 17.75kWh today
Powerwalls at 72% now, probably 60% by the morning and tomorrow is less dense cloud so should top up ok.