Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar happenings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Solyndra:
Each of the company's cylinders is actually two glass tubes, one nested inside the other. Rather than silicon, the solar cells use a mixture of copper, indium, gallium and selenium deposited on the inner tube.
Those don't sound like inexpensive materials to build with, not to mention I believe Nanosolar is in competition for the same elements for their thin film panels.

One Billion Dollar 200 MW Solar thermal plant announced in Arizona.

The Arizona Department of Commerce and Albiasa Solar of Spain will announce Monday a $1 billion solar-thermal power plant will be built near Kingman next year, generating enough power for 50,000 homes at once when it opens in 2013.
Solar-thermal power plants don't use the common black panels to make electricity. Instead, they use mirrors to focus sunlight on liquid-filled tubes. They use the hot fluid to make steam and spin turbines, much like coal, natural-gas and nuclear plants operate, but without the need for fuel.

Concentrating Solar Power (“CSP”) is a core climate solution, indirect dry cooling systems (also known as “Heller” systems) will be a crucial enabling technology, since large-scale CSP will be located in desert regions.

Climate Progress » Blog Archive » The secret to low-water-use, high-efficiency concentrating solar power
figure3-small.jpg

figure4-small-300x170.jpg

Last edited:
The time to payback is a bit long right now for most folks, I think.
That's what most folks tend to think... but that's normally because they don't take all the benefits into account. I can't think of many other investments that immediately and consistently pay you back - tax free - just about forever. The folks who took out some investment money to buy their PV systems last year - couldn't image a better investment. Most folks found more of their money vaporized than they paid for their systems.

And a final note - my payback period was *instant*. The moment I turned my system on, I started saving money. This is due to having an EV and Time of Use Metering. I couldn't have afforded to NOT have PV.

I think people are nuts for not installing solar PV systems.
You and me both, brother!

The payback would be much quicker if the price of using coal wasn't artificially cheap. The way it works now the coal industry doesn''t pay the cost of destroying mountains or the cost of using the atmosphere to dump their pollution. That's how corporations work in general, externalize costs, internalize profits.

Still, most people wouldn't buy solar without incentive money because you have to pay all the cost up front and get paid back later. Our society encourages just the opposite behavior; get instant gratification now, pay for it later, or maybe not at all.

That's what most folks tend to think... but that's normally because they don't take all the benefits into account. I can't think of many other investments that immediately and consistently pay you back - tax free - just about forever.

The power in my neighborhood is kind of lousy. With a PV/Battery system I started a return on investment immediately on the electronic equipment I was not having to replace due to brownouts.

Not to mention the convenience of always having power -- certainly that is worth something above and beyond just the lack of having to pay electric bills.

If they end up being inexpensive enough, it could be a nice supplement to typical rooftop PV. Their efficiency is too low to replace todays PV of course, but if your rooftop surface area is already 100% used by PV, this could be a way to extend your surface area somewhat.

Micro-inverters attached to each solar panel.

More AC Power from Solar Panels

Startup Enphase Energy of Petaluma, CA, is now making the first micro-inverters. These smaller inverters can be bolted to the racking under each solar panel, to convert DC power into AC for each panel individually. The company claims that the devices will increase a PV system's efficiency by 5 to 25 percent and decrease the cost of solar power.

Startup sells solar panels online - SFGate.com

bu-solar18_ph2_0500146644.jpg

Last year, Sungevity added a page to its Web site that lets prospective customers plug in their home addresses and see how much various solar panels would cost and how much energy they could save over several years.

A Sungevity engineer can calculate these costs in about 10 minutes with help from Microsoft's Virtual Earth - mapping software that helps him visualize the length, width, pitch and orientation of a roof and how much sunlight it can get.
Home solar systems - Residential solar power by Sungevity