Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Garage Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks also. I hope our builders consider this (though I guess they would). Is it common these days?

I'm certain that it is required by building code (It might even also be part of Title 24 in California). You probably won't get your permits unless you have adequate ventilation on your plans. There are rules about how many vents are needed per square foot of roof space, etc.

/Mitch.

And, if getting a roof re-done, also consider getting a thermal radiant barrier - either integrated in the plywood or laid out in the attic.

Depending on your type of roof, this can be a bad idea as it will reflect the heat right back at the roof and heat the tar holding your tiles on. Much more harm than good.

Regarding the attic fans, they are the most efficient way to keep your attic cool, but solar powered fans typically aren't strong enough to do the job right. If you get four or five, like Mitch mentioned, then it might be enough, but they are MUCH less powerful than a normal, hard wired AC powered fan.

If you do them both at the same time, you'll have better looking results. We've got a spanish/mediterranean style roof, but with our upcoming remodel we'll be able to inset the panels into the roof - it'll look clean and neat. (the roof remains one plane, no panels hovering over tiles). Our contractors tell us that they'll basically install a composition roof first, then the panels, then backfill the areas around the panels with the tiles. I think it'll look nice.

Sounds very good and way better than what SolarCity did atop my existing concrete tile roof back in 2007 - they had these anchors installed in lieu of some of the tiles and the panels atop these anchors. This left a 9" clearance between the panels and the roof tiles: a perfect nesting area for pigeons in the summer! @$%#

Yes, always best to consider installing solar alongside a new roof replacement. It helps to ensure roofing material and workmanship warranties are not voided, as well as providing cleaner installations. There are many solar attachments that are specific to new roof installations, and can be installed by the roofers. The solar installers can come in later and very quickly place the panels.

Consider a metal standing seam roof. They last practically forever, and allow the solar panels to be clamped onto the seams, removing the need for roof penetrations. Why punch holes in your roof if you don't have to? View our latest install below: (FYI, install made customer net-zero, even with an EV estimated to drive 8000 miles a year)

IMG_2367.jpg