Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar energy questions and answers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In areas where prevailing wage rates are high, it's sometimes more cost effective to not take the grant/rebate because you would come out ahead with the lower labor rates. (The increased labor rates would outweigh the incentive.)

For whatever it's worth, I thought I would add to this discussion.

A) Enphase Micro Inverters are good, if you plan on adding to your system, or have shading.
B) We were sued by our HOA BEFORE the State Law allowed us to install. Here is the news story. We knew we were in the right, because here is how our neighborhood voted in a survey:
SurveyResults.jpg

C) The earlier model M190's can fail. I've had 3 out of 132 fail in 4 years. They always overnight replacements - no charge.
D) We have added onto our system 2 years in a row, because ONCOR only pays up to a 10Kw system each year. We now have a 30Kw system, and are NET-ZERO!
E) Find out what your State Law says, the State Law trumps whatever your HOA says. I know, my HOA has sued us twice! Our Law is here.
F) Our HOA says they can't go on the front of the house, but they also said they are allowed in our yard. Here is the funny part: They approved our request for the 13 on the front, and denied the ones in the yard! News story here.
G) Do your own research and if your HOA is against you, make sure you are in the right by researching your Law. You may have to spend a little money in the courts when they sue you, but the bad press they receive makes it worth it!
BoysInTesla.jpg

You mean as long as prices don't outweigh the incentives? because if the prices go up by the amount of the incentives. Then wouldn't that be free upgrades?

No. I mean that a car is announced at $21,000 and then the government comes up with a $7,500 incentive and all of a sudden the same car is $28,500.

No. I mean that a car is announced at $21,000 and then the government comes up with a $7,500 incentive and all of a sudden the same car is $28,500.
This is a well-understood and generic issue, tax incidence. Taxes are not necessarily incurred by the people who pay them, nor are incentives received by those who get them. For example, in the US employers pay 50% of Social Security taxes and employees pay the other half, but studies suggest that wages are adjusted by almost $1 per $1 increase in the SS tax rate, so the incidence is almost entirely on employees.

In your example, 100% of the incidence falls to the car company. That outcome requires that demand for that particular car is extremely inelastic (i.e., quantity demanded doesn't change much with price). Competition in the mid-$20s vehicle range is sharp, though, so demand for a particular model is likely to be highly elastic. Therefore, most of the incentive will likely be captured by the consumer, not the car manufacturer.

The opposite is probably true for the Model S. Tesla probably perceives that demand is fairly inelastic for the Model S -- after all, it's at a high price point (=attractive to a market where cash isn't a big obstacle), truly competitive vehicles like the BMW M5 have a much higher LCO, and there simply are no competing luxury EVs. One of the reasons Tesla can earn 25% gross margins is by absorbing much of the federal & state tax credits.

Our house is on the DFW Solar Tour this Saturday. There are 30 homes in DFW on the tour this year.
They have asked all the homeowners to have EV cars at their events. I probably could use more Tesla's but don't want to interfere with Cars & Coffee. This is their 18th year doing this, have 165,000 people visiting 5,500 homes in the US. Here is the link: http://www.dfwsolartour.org/locations/squyres/

If anyone is interested in Solar, our house is always open for tours. Just let me know.

If interested in tracking our Solar production, visit here: https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/3PJ33260