Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA challenges on solar journey here in Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We decided to go solar this year and add batteries next year (hoping Power Wall 3's are available) so after getting 4 quotes/proposals I opted to go with Straight Up Solar here in St Louis. So I submitted my request to our HOA and included a copy of the Illinois law that was passed 2 years ago which prevents HOAs from blocking PV panel installation. That was on July 12th, on July 19th I inquired what the status was of my ARC request and was informed it was forwarded to the "HOA Committee". So I didn't know we had a "committee" as we are a brand new development and the builder's owner was/is the HOA. Sure enough, I was informed it was forwarded to him.

But the HOA admin lady then offered this, "Mr xxx handles all the requests and he has 75 days to respond per the Governing Documents (IL legislation document). Because the HOA's Governing Documents state that "they do not allow Solar panels", Mr xxx has asked me to get a legal opinion. I will have to get back to you".

So my project is on hold. I don't know if this is a delaying tactic or due diligence on the part of the HOA but it's frustrating as I was told due to demand and supply chain issues, had my request been granted on/about July 15th they could guarantee installation by mid-Oct. If my HOA drags this out the full 75 days that most likely will push us into next year.

Here's a copy of the IL statute supposedly preventing an HOA from denying a homeowner's request:
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3278&ChapterID=62

Do any Illinois resident care to share their thoughts/experiences navigating recalcitrant HOAa?

More to follow.

Another option is to do it and let them try and sue you?

Or, as I have done, I hired a lawyer to fight my HOA, and I won. They know if they come after me again, and I believe I
am right, I would quickly hire another one. I also loved with I get my local TV station involved, twice with issues. Amazing
how quickly that got things resolved!!