Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar, batteries, EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Well, am testing new things with my setup. I bought my first Model Y last week, and today is the first day I am charging.

My 5 EV ports are wired between my main panel and the gateways, so there is no ability to see the charging pull from the app.

I have one set of panels recharging the batteries, and the other set is sending back to the "grid" since the batteries are 100% charged. But, what is happening with this excess power and the EV charging? So I went to my PGE meter to see if I could get more info. Watching the meter for a while, it did not move one way or the other. This has me believing that the excess from the one solar panels is going to the EV car, 32 amp charging first, while the small excess is then being sent to PGE.
The numbers seem to suggest this, does this make sense? If so, in my case, charging during the day is the way to go. At night, I could not get to the batteries since I do not export the batteries. I did wait to plug in until lunch time when my panels have pegged both inverters. They love this clear cold air!!

Right now I am using a gen 2 wall connector plugged into a 14-50 plug, 50amp breaker, which charges the car at 32 amps. I am working on my first Gen 3 wall connector to be able to charge 50% faster, at 48 amps with a 60 amp breaker. I keep changing the design so not ready yet. Once I get the design done, then I have to see if I want to implement up to 4 more Gen 3 wall connectors in the garage, for a max of 5. Then I can see if the fw works to load balance these to have fun.
I just love the ability in my one app to see the car, solar, and batteries. Fun. :)

Reactions: holeydonut
If you added another CT you could then see the EV charging added to your whole house load, if that's something you would want to see.

The solar power will go wherever there is a load. The EV provided the load so it never went back past your meter to the grid.
Interesting, I wonder how that would be done. Yes that would be nice to have.
I just LOVE using the extra solar I have to try and minimize costs. So for me, charging the EV during the day is the way to go

Interesting, I wonder how that would be done. Yes that would be nice to have.
I just LOVE using the extra solar I have to try and minimize costs. So for me, charging the EV during the day is the way to go
It's simple if you have a GW1. Just put a set of CTs on your charger circuit and set this into the Neurio adapter for the house CTs (backup loads).

When the grid is up the car chargers and gets added to the house load. If the grid is down and no charging.

This image shows my breaker (left) for the Wall Connector outside of the gateway, which is tied to the 125 amp breaker on the right.

20220118_110334.jpg

This image shows the CT feed from the main panel (Wall Connector) going up to the Neurio home port. Its the two gray ones coming from the left. Sorry they disappear behind so I cannot tell you which port they go into. (I think its D based on the gray cable, the red marker on the plug and connector, but not 100% certain). You will need to get your installer to put it on the right tap, but it is trivial.

20220118_111251.jpg

Congratulations! I just bought a Blue Y.

With Either a GW1 of GW2 you will want to have a meter on your car charger. The actual mechanics are pretty straightforward either way.

Honestly you might want to have at least one charger on the backup side if you have a Tesla. This way, when off grid and the PW batteries are full you can push the power to your EV battery as a 2nd priority after the Powerwalls. Much better than frequency shifting the solar to turn it off, as otherwise this power would be wasted or you have to manually worry about when to charge.

This whole feature is automated if you get a charger on the backup side.

Also the new feature to send extra PV power to the EV while on grid will be good but since I don't have it I don't know how it works very much.

With Either a GW1 of GW2 you will want to have a meter on your car charger. The actual mechanics are pretty straightforward either way.

Honestly you might want to have at least one charger on the backup side if you have a Tesla. This way, when off grid and the PW batteries are full you can push the power to your EV battery as a 2nd priority after the Powerwalls. Much better than frequency shifting the solar to turn it off, as otherwise this power would be wasted or you have to manually worry about when to charge.

Also the new feature to send extra PV power to the EV while on grid will be good but since I don't have it I don't know how it works very much.

Dude you gotta update your avatar. I was like "wtf someone hacked Vines' account"

It's simple if you have a GW1. Just put a set of CTs on your charger circuit and set this into the Neurio adapter for the house CTs (backup loads).

When the grid is up the car chargers and gets added to the house load. If the grid is down and no charging.

This image shows my breaker (left) for the Wall Connector outside of the gateway, which is tied to the 125 amp breaker on the right.

View attachment 924648

This image shows the CT feed from the main panel (Wall Connector) going up to the Neurio home port. Its the two gray ones coming from the left. Sorry they disappear behind so I cannot tell you which port they go into. (I think its D based on the gray cable, the red marker on the plug and connector, but not 100% certain). You will need to get your installer to put it on the right tap, but it is trivial.

View attachment 924650
Cool, I do not have a neurio. I have a gW2

We wanted a blue Y, but they only had a white in the 7 seater and trailer hitch, Long distance model. I cannot believe how fun the car is to drive!!! I had crow for dinner last night
It is not practical to get any of the EV charge lines to the backup side of the house. I could get a CT on the line that was tapped into where all my equipment pretty easy. I really do not care about charging car if power is out. I plan to keep a couple of ice cars. Since I have not had a power outage in the last 3 years since I bought the batteries., .....

We wanted a blue Y, but they only had a white in the 7 seater and trailer hitch, Long distance model. I cannot believe how fun the car is to drive!!! I had crow for dinner last night
It is not practical to get any of the EV charge lines to the backup side of the house. I could get a CT on the line that was tapped into where all my equipment pretty easy. I really do not care about charging car if power is out. I plan to keep a couple of ice cars. Since I have not had a power outage in the last 3 years since I bought the batteries., .....
H2O, I'm disappointed in you. You should have bought the Mustang Mach-E California Route 1. Much better safety rating than Tesla. Also, EVERY Ford dealer can work on them. IF I were to buy an EV, that's the one I would go with. As a Disabled American Veteran member I get X-Plan, (employee discount), from Ford. Cuts $3-5000 off sticker and no hassles!

H2O, I'm disappointed in you. You should have bought the Mustang Mach-E California Route 1. Much better safety rating than Tesla. Also, EVERY Ford dealer can work on them. IF I were to buy an EV, that's the one I would go with. As a Disabled American Veteran member I get X-Plan, (employee discount), from Ford. Cuts $3-5000 off sticker and no hassles!
Since having access to the tesla super charging network was a must, .... :)

Reactions: jgleigh
any idea when this feature will be available? I’d really like this; I’d much rather the car adapter to the available solar, charging faster when it’s sunny, and slower, perhaps not at all, when it’s not.

Reactions: morph3ous
I think I have the opposite problem. When I had my 3 PWs installed they said my whole house was backed up. I wasn't thinking about the EV charger and I have an EV6 not a Tesla. I don't want my EV to drain my PWs in an outage. How hard is it to back out my charger from the backup?

I think I have the opposite problem. When I had my 3 PWs installed they said my whole house was backed up. I wasn't thinking about the EV charger and I have an EV6 not a Tesla. I don't want my EV to drain my PWs in an outage. How hard is it to back out my charger from the backup?
The tesla gateway 2 has integrated 100A lugs designed for non backup loads. You will need additional overcurrent protection at a maximum 100A if you connect to these lugs.

You can easily drop in a 100A or 125A subpanel with a 60A main breaker, and then use this subpanel for non-backup loads.

Loads from these 100A lugs are already metered without any additional CT's.

• Informative
Reactions: getakey