Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do they determine who gets these updates and when? I'm a brand new 2016 90D owner and just curious since it's not appeared yet for me.

Elon chooses a VIN from a comically large Boring Company hat once every second until all the cars are updated, then it starts over again.

Slightly more seriously, there is no rhyme or reason. You get it when you get it. You can watch Teslafi.com/firmware to get an idea of where the fleet stands in terms of update distribution. Unless you’re seriously behind - like on a release that less than 5% the fleet is - everything is normal.

Elon chooses a VIN from a comically large Boring Company hat once every second until all the cars are updated, then it starts over again.

Slightly more seriously, there is no rhyme or reason. You get it when you get it. You can watch Teslafi.com/firmware to get an idea of where the fleet stands in terms of update distribution. Unless you’re seriously behind - like on a release that less than 5% the fleet is - everything is normal.

Ah okay. I also happened to think I had Advanced updates on when I just looked again and it was set to Standard. That white on grey-white interface can be confusing as to what is on and what is off :-(

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Are you saying you're on HW2.0 with MCU1 and you have dash cam now? I feel like that's be huge news out here on the forums if it were true.
Sorry, of course not. See my signature. AP 2.5.

As I said, the dashcam was toast on MCU 1 even with AP 2.5 at 2019.16.2. This wasn’t any magic superpowers addition, it was that firmware breaking the feature. :D

Which I think was fixed at 20.1. The icon now appears, at any rate, when you insert the USB and turns red when you press it. I still haven’t gotten any video off of it, it had some corrupted files the first try so reformatted it, icon is back and will try again.

(At 16.2 you had a permanent gray dashcam icon.)

Reactions: rjshar
Sorry, of course not. See my signature. AP 2.5.

As I said, the dashcam was toast on MCU 1 even with AP 2.5 at 2019.16.2. This wasn’t any magic superpowers addition, it was that firmware breaking the feature. :D

Which I think was fixed at 20.1. The icon now appears, at any rate, when you insert the USB and turns red when you press it. I still haven’t gotten any video off of it, it had some corrupted files the first try so reformatted it, icon is back and will try again.

(At 16.2 you had a permanent gray dashcam icon.)

I have a very similar car to you (build date within a month, AP2.5, MCU1, X100D), and my dashcam worked fine on 2019.16.2. That's fascinating how much day to day difference there likely is to these cars..

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Well, I can't say for sure whether advanced does anything, but I have it selected, was one of the people on the FSD list and am still stuck on 16.2, with my router showing no large download from my car any time in the last few weeks. I'm in CA, have a Model S 75 AP2.0. Pretttty disappointed, especially since AP has been near useless(frequent red hands, randomly slowing down for nothing, etc) for me ever since getting 12.1.1.
Try a reboot - someone else mentioned that they had not received an update notice in a while but said they got a download that evening after doing it. Guess it resets the WIFI and signals the mothership it is out there...

Last edited:
I have a very similar car to you (build date within a month, AP2.5, MCU1, X100D), and my dashcam worked fine on 2019.16.2. That's fascinating how much day to day difference there likely is to these cars..
That is very interesting. I tried about everything with several USBs and reboots/power offs and it worked before 16.2. Others reported this also. Wonder what caused this on either side?!

2019.20.2.5 started rolling out. Anyone get it?
Unless someone has this and can say different, this should be assumed to be early access, like 2019.20.0.1. I’d assume just an update to the Advanced Summon and Auto Wipers Beta on that but not see any notes posted anywhere.

Interesting only 6 on TeslaFi vs 30 (meaning were 36) for 20.0.1. Unless a smaller/slower sample for this EA version?

I do a lot of non-interstate driving and found a problem with the newest release - my HW2.0 is NOT seeing that I am on a 4 lane road.

Happened multiple times (e.g. M-47 which is 2 lanes in both directions and a 5th turn lane). I am in the right most lane and start FSD. My screen is showing just a single lane despite going 60. When I use the turn indicator (either a quick press or full on) it refuses to go into the left lane. If I nudge it, it disengages and allows me to move over. Then it starts to see there are two lanes.

I never had this issue with any of the previous versions. Anyone else see this?

Reactions: croman
I do a lot of non-interstate driving and found a problem with the newest release - my HW2.0 is NOT seeing that I am on a 4 lane road.

Happened multiple times (e.g. M-47 which is 2 lanes in both directions and a 5th turn lane). I am in the right most lane and start FSD. My screen is showing just a single lane despite going 60. When I use the turn indicator (either a quick press or full on) it refuses to go into the left lane. If I nudge it, it disengages and allows me to move over. Then it starts to see there are two lanes.

I never had this issue with any of the previous versions. Anyone else see this?

Yes. Lane recognition is worse in your example but it's way better about not recognizing the shoulder and it detects only lanes really well. They come on as a narrow strip and grow into a full lane on the IC. So way fewer false positives and some false negative is improvement for me.

A couple things:
1)
There is no full self driving yet. We all just have access to a Level 2 driver assist aka auto pilot. Whether or not you paid for FSD makes no difference as you are still operating at Lvl2 across the entire fleet.

2) Autopilot is not designed to be used on non-divided highways.

I use FSD in posts because of the various changes that have been made to AP and EAP, especially in recent vehicles - this way there is no doubt about what I have for people responding. And while I know the car cannot do FSD yet, I did buy it so yes, it does have FSD capabilities which are currently software (and hardware) limited.

As for point #2, a large number of the Michigan "M" roads that I use ARE divided with a huge median (grass that on some roads like M84 are 20-30 ft wide). Previous versions had no issues on these roads or the other M roads that only have a continuous middle turn lane, but now this version does, thus the post. The odd part is after forcing the lane change, it seemed to realize the road as a multi-lane for the remainder of the trip and works correctly, turning left or right with the turn signal. Tomorrow I will be taking both of the above-type roads with stops along the way. Will be interesting to see if it remembers it.