Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2019.20.1 as well. Maybe it's just me but AP is still:

- Mortally scared of big trucks. Following a truck with TACC will leave a huge gap to it, maybe proportional to how tall and scary the truck is.
- Paranoid schizophrenic about cars crossing at 90 degrees, even if distance if half a block away. Will slam on the brakes every time.
- Steps on the brakes when changing lanes, even if for a split second. It's like a nervous tic now.
- OCDing about running in the middle of the lane, and will veer right on EVERY on-ramp where the lane widens.

Maybe AP is smart enough now to make me a sandwich, etc but I don't see any improvement from 16.x in terms of driving. In fact, I think it has regressed since 2019.12.x.

I received 2019.20.1 tonight for both Model S and Model 3. Upgrade of Model 3 was no issue. For Model S, I initiated the update from my phone. After 45 minutes, I went to check the car since I never received an "update completed" message like I had in the past. The console showed that there's a software upgrade available and whether I wanted to run it at 2:45 am or now. I pushed "Upgrade Now" and it popped a message saying "Sentry mode needs to be manually turned off". After I turned it off, I could perform the upgrade manually. The mobile app never returned an error or a message about the Sentry mode.

After the update on Model S, I noticed that Dashcam icon was missing. I removed the USB stick and reformatted it and put it back to make the dashcam work. I don't know what happened, but between Sentry mode that had to be manually turned off and the USB stick which had to be reformatted, something really strange happened with this update.

I received 2019.20.1 tonight for both Model S and Model 3. Upgrade of Model 3 was no issue. For Model S, I initiated the update from my phone. After 45 minutes, I went to check the car since I never received an "update completed" message like I had in the past. The console showed that there's a software upgrade available and whether I wanted to run it at 2:45 am or now. I pushed "Upgrade Now" and it popped a message saying "Sentry mode needs to be manually turned off". After I turned it off, I could perform the upgrade manually. The mobile app never returned an error or a message about the Sentry mode.

After the update on Model S, I noticed that Dashcam icon was missing. I removed the USB stick and reformatted it and put it back to make the dashcam work. I don't know what happened, but between Sentry mode that had to be manually turned off and the USB stick which had to be reformatted, something really strange happened with this update.
This is a known bug for a while, where Sentry breaks the remote update process. Too bad they haven’t added a pop up on the app to tell us to go to the car to turn it off or have it toggle it automatically, etc. Most people probably have Sentry off at home but some are running it, of course!

As for the TeslaFi being a good sample, of course it’s hard to tell. But it’s the only data we have. And it is a good geographical and time disperse (car age) sample. Based on the mileage and VINs, not sure what we could see as ‘not representative’ perhaps except maybe ‘tech-savvy’-ness of owners which should be irrelevant.

Am I missing something as to why it’s a ‘bad’ sample or why we care?

Last edited:
People using TeslaFi are likely far more tech savvy than other people, and as such far more likely to select Advanced software updates or even be aware of the option, as such making it highly likely that it is over representing recent firmware installs if the Advanced selector works as advertised.

For all other aspects it's indeed most likely statistically near enough to reliable.

People using TeslaFi are likely far more tech savvy than other people, and as such far more likely to select Advanced software updates or even be aware of the option, as such making it highly likely that it is over representing recent firmware installs if the Advanced selector works as advertised.

For all other aspects it's indeed most likely statistically near enough to reliable.
Definitely so on that point. So far we don’t know what if anything Advanced actually may do. :D

Got 2019.20 installed last night for my S.

Car will not 100%. After long delay (3 minutes to start) on power up I was able to drive twice. No audio in car.

On the third power up after sitting through the delay, I did a reset and got the audio back.

Still don't have streaming or phone. Get "no internet access" when I press the phone button.

Any thoughts?

Got 2019.20 installed last night for my S.

Car will not 100%. After long delay (3 minutes to start) on power up I was able to drive twice. No audio in car.

On the third power up after sitting through the delay, I did a reset and got the audio back.

Still don't have streaming or phone. Get "no internet access" when I press the phone button.

Any thoughts?
Are you scroll wheel rebooting or menu powering off? If both, out of ideas.

As for the TeslaFi being a good sample, of course it’s hard to tell. But it’s the only data we have. And it is a good geographical and time disperse (car age) sample. Based on the mileage and VINs, not sure what we could see as ‘not representative’ perhaps except maybe ‘tech-savvy’-ness of owners which should be irrelevant.

Am I missing something as to why it’s a ‘bad’ sample or why we care?

There are a few read flags that any statistical study would question

- You must sign up for your car data to be used. There is no way to ensure that those who found TeslaFi are a cross section of the cars sold

- From what I understand, you also must pay a monthly fee to use TeslaFi. Again, I find it hard to believe that a statistical cross section of owners/car types/cars with FSD would occur with that plan.

- I have not seen any information where TeslaFi has shown they have a statistically representative group of users

With the above points and TeslaFi having a very small sampling of overall Tesla vehicles in their dataset, I think most statisticians would say the only information you can glean is for that unknown grouping of vehicles. While this information is interesting, I think the best use of the data is for people who have not received a software update and they are in the bottom 1-5% of cars still on it in that dataset. But for someone who has the second-to-newest version, and sees that 50 or 70% got the newest one, he/she cannot say they have been skipped over.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Are you scroll wheel rebooting or menu powering off? If both, out of ideas.

OK rebooted twice and power reset twice.

Car is now working good.

I have had issues with Voice recognition for quite a while. I meen so bad I used my phone instead of the car. This issue is finally gone. Tesla had looked at the Parrot card and reflashed it without luck. This update fixed it. Phone and Nav work again. :)

OK rebooted twice and power reset twice.

Car is now working good.

I have had issues with Voice recognition for quite a while. I meen so bad I used my phone instead of the car. This issue is finally gone. Tesla had looked at the Parrot card and reflashed it without luck. This update fixed it. Phone and Nav work again. :)
Things like this are why I always reboot after a firmware load. I hate to think how many issues I've skipped by doing just that. Never had issues where I needed more, but it's nuts that we occasionally need to do this. Wonder if things aren't 'done' and the further reboots allow them to complete? Doesn't sound logical, but, something must change....

Well, I can't say for sure whether advanced does anything, but I have it selected, was one of the people on the FSD list and am still stuck on 16.2, with my router showing no large download from my car any time in the last few weeks. I'm in CA, have a Model S 75 AP2.0. Pretttty disappointed, especially since AP has been near useless(frequent red hands, randomly slowing down for nothing, etc) for me ever since getting 12.1.1.

Excellent.

20.1 does appear to fix the dashcam issues for MCU 1 cars where it was broken. I was on 16.2 and it was toast. Gray icon all the time, USB or not. Instantly fixed with 20.1.

And the X’s are supposed to have the walk away lock notification which I’m still testing. I agree not much change for an S!