Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software (2022.12.3.20) reinstalls itself and resets settings to factory defaults while charging at Supercharger during long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, while charging at the Tejon Factory Outlets, 6 hours into an approximately 8 hour drive from Sacramento to San Diego, my 2019 Model X (Raven) with the FSD Beta seemed to do a total operating software refresh out of the blue, without warning. I lost ALL my settings and all existing profiles disappeared. No prior energy consumption figures remained, no prior locations that I had navigated to remain, and my location via GPS made absolutely no sense. It thought I was in Palo Alto CA when actually I was outside Los Angeles.

I attempted to fix the weirdness going on by changing the wheel size back and forth a total of 3 times (to no avail) as well as rebooting using the scroll wheels.

I did take a picture of a screen that said the following: “Reset Complete. Introducing Software 11.0”. My Tesla app currently indicates it has v. 2022.12.3.20 installed. This is the same software I had before yesterday’s fiasco started. I’ve had it since 6/1. TeslaFi shows that this software was installed both on 6/1/22 and again during this episode, 6/19/22. TeslaFi does not indicate what version installed yesterday (the field is blank) but it does show that 2022.12.3.20 installed back on 6/1/22. The Tesla app shows that my software is currently 2022.12.3.20.

This whole process lengthened my trip about an hour. Not a fun way to receive a software refresh or upgrade. But apparently this was neither a refresh nor an upgrade as I originally thought. I guess the operating system got corrupted and the car was “smart” enough to reinstall it. The good news is that it got itself working. The GPS began working a few miles down the road. The remainder of the trip was uneventful aside from realizing that things no longer worked the way I expected because all settings were at their factory defaults. Once I reset those settings, it was clear sailing.

I have never experienced this before in almost 3 years of ownership. Have others had this experience? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jon

Attachments

• 93A70EA1-ABBC-4555-B967-653E58BDF1E8.jpeg
    93A70EA1-ABBC-4555-B967-653E58BDF1E8.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 75D5C3D2-C7FB-4999-9865-4D9B45B15CEB.jpeg
    75D5C3D2-C7FB-4999-9865-4D9B45B15CEB.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 939662FB-0784-49B3-8D72-D25218AFAF2C.jpeg
    939662FB-0784-49B3-8D72-D25218AFAF2C.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 90A9BDB4-3207-43A4-8C9A-ED9D32FE6041.png
    90A9BDB4-3207-43A4-8C9A-ED9D32FE6041.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Every setting and preference has had to be reset. It’s a pain to have to reconfigure the Homelink settings for three locations. The only thing the car seems to recall is that I have one ding against me of the 3 allowed before the FSD beta is revoked. Darn, that’s the one thing I was hoping would disappear.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I guess the operating system got corrupted and the car was “smart” enough to reinstall it.
That was my first thought. I’ve never had this happen and normally there should be no reason to do so. For a routine software update you would also need to approve it first.

Is suggest opening a service ticket and see if they can pull any logs that may give a clue as to what happened.

It is just the normal buggy software. I lost all my energy stats, including those beginning from when the car was new. I never noticed losing any other settings though, and not sure which update did this, as it was months ago.

Service center technician was able to look at my log remotely. He was concerned that something was going on with the USB bus. He seemed quite certain that I was playing games on the Tesla when it happened; however I’ve NEVER played games. He asked if I had just plugged in a game controller. Of course, the answer was no since I never play games. Then his focus shifted to the screen display since this also uses USB. He was concerned about overlapping images on the large screen (as shown in my original post); the smaller screen over the steering wheel also showed overlapping images. He couldn’t do any more remotely and he suggested setting up an appointment to check the hardware. I declined since I thought it was unlikely that they’d find anything wrong and the car has been acting fine ever since. He agreed that it was likely a software bug. He stated quite matter-of-factly that the software did NOT get reinstalled; instead the profiles simply got wiped. He offered to restore my profiles which he DID have available, but I declined since by then I had reset pretty much EVERY setting. However, every once in awhile I find yet another setting that needs to be configured.

Reactions: sleepydoc