Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so when do we get a test drive !?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked today about RC's for test driving. The answer was that "Tesla definitely wants the first cars going to customers".

I'm guessing from that answer that Tesla has so many reservations they want a critical number of cars out the door first; they have to find a balance between getting cars into owners hands (Impatient? Us? Noooo....:wink:) and getting cars to stores for test drives. I also heard today about someone with a five figure reservation number so Tesla isn't having trouble selling cars without test drives.

And assuming their deductible is not greater than the damage they cause when they're so busy trying to figure out all the features that they're not looking at the road. And assuming they actually have insurance. Some folks have liability but no comp. And even if they do have full insurance and take responsibility for the deductible, there's the hassle of repairs and the misery of being without your car while it's shipped to the nearest Tesla facility for repairs. Etc.
Did you even read my post? You even quoted the relevant line. I said "assuming they have insurance and enough coverage then the car is covered while they're driving it." And mean collision, not comp. Comprehensive is for theft, vandalism, etc. Things that happen when you're not driving the car. Collision is for repairing damage to the car you're driving and Liability is for repairing damage to anything you hit.

What features does one need to figure out? You push D and then you go. There's nothing to look at BUT the road; no distracting energy screens like the Pruis, no extra pedals, no paddle shifters, no manual shifter.... That's the beauty of the Roadster. It just works and anyone can drive it (unlike many ICE vehicles).

I'm not saying I would let some random person standing on a street corner drive my car but if you've talked to a person for 10 minutes you should be able to tell if they're going to drive you into a tree. I've only let one "stranger" drive my car - he worked at a local Ford dealer and was displaying a car at a local Earth Day event. We talked off and on throughout the day and I trusted his driving history. Other people have been friends I know well or coworkers. It's just a car. People are more important than things.

A person driving your car temporarily will be covered by their own insurance. So assuming they have insurance and enough coverage then the car is covered while they're driving it.

It may vary state to state, but generally the auto insurance carried by the owner of the car is considered the primary insurance in the even of an accident, not the insurance of the driver. This is certainly true of CA where you're at. Long story short, insurance is linked to the car, not the driver. So be careful letting your friends drive your Model S!

@onlinespending is correct for CA, with exception to legitimate test drives and rental cars. You must check your insurance to be certain, but nearly all post coverage for these conditions. It's the only factor you should decide on when renting a car and determining if you will pay for LDW. Most renters already have coverage, but to avoid a rate hike and deductible, you may choose the LDW.