Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how disappoionted are you that the D event wasn't also an X event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main disappointment is with how this D event has upended TMC, with dozens of threads all about the same thing, and many meta-discussions about how upset or happy or this or that with the event or the new D versions of the Model S, etc. It's all gotten old really fast.

The reality is, Tesla is a tech company. They move fast. They innovate quickly. Their pace outpaces the historical pace of the ICE automotive world and its annual model upgrades (if any), dealer networks, etc. Dealers are not the only thing being disrupted by Tesla. We the buyers are too. Our expectations are. The intervals we're used to are being compressed. We can't keep up.

If you were not disappointed this time, you will be next time, or the time after that (you know, just after you they deliver your P85D and they announce the P110D, etc).

It almost seems like the way to play the Tesla game is to a) first play the TSLA stock market game as aggressively as Tesla's playing the automotive disruption game, and b) commence an ongoing lease / trade-in / lease cycle so you always have the new shiny thing that comes out, using TSLA stock market winnings to pay for the leases. As long as (a) stays ahead of (b) you might keep up with Tesla.

That way you wind up "subscribing" to Tesla, which may in the long run be the only sane way to deal with Tesla without disappointment.

But this forum is full of happy threads too. Why shouldn't we as a community celebrate the full spectrum of emotion and opinion?

So, Tesla moves fast. Surely that warrants discussion, opinions and some suitable group therapy where necessary.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I am pleased with the continued innovation, technical and feature development and industry leadership. On the other hand it feels like I am on the receiving end of an unintended downgrade especially since I have the same appearance and model designation except for the last letter. I wonder if it would have been better to have even a minimal body redesign into which all the latest innovations are incorporated and then designate it as a different model. Model D for instance. Then you could have Model D-60, D-85, D-P85 and D-P85+. Going further, how will they name the car when they incorporate further developments that make the present ones passe'? Add another letter or number after the D?

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I am pleased with the continued innovation, technical and feature development and industry leadership. On the other hand it feels like I am on the receiving end of an unintended downgrade especially since I have the same appearance and model designation except for the last letter. I wonder if it would have been better to have even a minimal body redesign into which all the latest innovations are incorporated and then designate it as a different model. Model D for instance. Then you could have Model D-60, D-85, D-P85 and D-P85+. Going further, how will they name the car when they incorporate further developments that make the present ones passe'? Add another letter or number after the D?

Perhaps you will feel better by just taking the lettering off the back of your car..... :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

It just means another amazing party yet to come.

��

I am looking for that invite in my inbox every day :smile:
Perhaps on our shared birthday although I doubt they will do anything in late December.

Last edited:
Once again, bonnie has the correct answer.

The X Alpha has been in testing since August 9th. I think Elon said this stage would last about 2-3 months. If the Alpha stage is complete by early November, Tesla can start the Beta process.

I expect another event in late November or early December to unveil the Beta. That would mollify impatient reservation holders as well as the financial markets, lol.