Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Cal Edison TOU Plans, are they worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
aus: Go to this link and under each plan click on "Close peak hours and pricing" for the images

Time-Of-Use Residential Rate Plans | Rates | Your Home | Home - SCE

BruceR61: Seems like we have a very similar setup, we also have a 5 ton A/C, I switched my pool pump to run from 12am - 5am, I actually start charging my car at 8pm because I'm still on a 5-15 plug, so I'm only getting around 30-40 miles per night.

We barley switched to the TOU plan, this will be our 1st month on it and seems like it will be saving us some money because I've logged into SCE and have been monitoring our "projected next bill" area and so far so good!!!!

Also consider SCE's discount plans we use as "add on" discounts to our TOU-D-B rate plan:

Summer Discount Plan ("SDP"): Summer Discount Plan | Rebates, Incentives, & Savings Tips | Your Home | Home - SCE

Smart Savers SoCal Program ("SSSP"): https://www.ecobee.com/sce/

We’re on TOU-D-B-SDP + SSSP

Time Of Use ("TOU-D-B') enables us to charge our Tesla between 10:00 PM & 8:00 AM at SCE’s lowest kWh rate (~ 13¢ kWh for us)… Plenty of time to refuel any EV battery

Summer Discount Plan ("SDP") saves us about $450 each summer by allowing SCE to cycle off our AC compressors from May to September

Smart Savers SoCal Program ("SSSP") got us one Ecobee3 electronic web connected thermostat (almost) for free after rebates… plus you can earn additional SSSP billing credits of up to $60 / year

All these savings reduce our annual SCE bill from $2,200 to $1750 = 20% savings... Better than almost any investment.

We're in the design phase of our solar project, our solar installer is asking us to switch to the TOU-D-T plan from the TOU-D-B plan, said we would benefit more on this plan once we cut over.

Hmmm... If you're charging your Tesla at night like we do TOU-D-T is 4¢ to 5¢ per kWh than TOU-D-B... buy what SCE buys your power at during On Peak on TOU-D-T is slightly higher than TOU-D-B so if your solar installer has actually run your usage using your actual "household" + "Tesla" TOU usage then projected in your "solar" generation then his recommendation might make sense. LOTS of variables to consider... and really no bad decision in the long term since you can switch SCE rate plans once your solar generation is up and running.

I've been looking at solar for 2 years but the R.O.I. is really long for us since our SCE TOU-D-B-SDP bill averages $150 a month for 1,200 kWh: 600kWh Super-Off Peak (primarily Tesla charging), 450kWn Off-Peak, 150 On-Peak. We rarely use AC & FAU natural gas heat here at the coast so we get $450 a year in SCE Summer Discount Plan credits.

What is your average kWh usage & average SCE bill? What is the kWh size of your solar system? How much of your SCE bill are you going to offset? What is the total cost of your solar system?

I'm very curious since I believe in solar but the R.O.I. is tough for our actual usage.

Attachments

• TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg
    TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 88
  • TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-2.jpg
    TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 43
  • TOU-D-T-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg
    TOU-D-T-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 53
  • TOU-D-T-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-2.jpg
    TOU-D-T-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 41
I dont have full numbers yet because our 1st month on TOU-D-B will end in about 4 days, on the SCE website it says we are projected to use about 1,122kwh this month, which is up about 22% from this time last year.

In April we used about 891kwh (got the Tesla on April 21st), average bill was about $170, we also have a pool pump that runs about 6 hours a day (12am-6am) and in the hot summer months, the central A/C does get used. July of last year we used 1,058kwh and our bill was $217.

We have received a few bids, the current solar company just hit us with a "larger" system to offset the Tesla charging, when we were getting bids we didnt have the Tesla.

One company offered us a 7.6kw, 23 panel system for about 25k, another company was about 7.360kw 23 panel for about the same.

Last edited:
Sorry I jumped the gun before realizing you asked about So Cal Edison

As inexpensive as you bill seems, the real benefit is the super off peak usage rate and you don't seem to have much of those hours by comparison. I charge my car at 10PM and run the pool starting then as well most of the time. Our usage is now less than 20% peak with about 60% super off peak. But, great bill with all you apparently use!!!

As inexpensive as you bill seems, the real benefit is the super off peak usage rate and you don't seem to have much of those hours by comparison. I charge my car at 10PM and run the pool starting then as well most of the time. Our usage is now less than 20% peak with about 60% super off peak. But, great bill with all you apparently use!!!

My usage is about 1/2 1/2 off peak / super off peak. The difference is ~ .064-SOP .073-OP so almost insignificant. June -Sep1 is .34 3:00pm-8:00pm so avoid that like the plague