Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Cal Edison TOU Plans, are they worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ ok, thanks. I've scanned the internet, but no luck yet finding something that uses green button data. It is surprising to me that SCE, with all the data, cannot provide a calculator that compares the options given you add kWh for the car and otherwise assume usage is the same as in the past. I did have them run an analysis, but I thought it was worthless.

I believe this the tool poeple are looking for

sce
Yes, that's the site I was referring to
If I'm not mistaken, the rate structure changed after this tool was released, but not significantly
I'm not sure it has been updated
It was a small learning curve to use, just follow the instructions
Use of the tool totally confirmed what I suspected just eyeballing rates with our usage
I did a whole years of data to look at each month separately

P.S. just looked at tool again, not sure it's still working

Tho I can pretty much assure you if your average monthly usage is near ours ( 700+kWh/month ), the TOU-B will be beneficial. And for us, more beneficial that an SCE EV plan
The other thing you can look at is a medical allowance that would give you an effective cheaper rate. From what I was told, it's easier to qualify for that allowance than you would think. Best thing is just ask them

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: outie
Yes, I'm still on the tiered plan. My usage in the last year is around 500 kWh/mo. TOU-A may be better for me, that is why I'm checking.

The link provided earlier is using the old rate structure with 4 tiers. They raised the price and went to 3 tiers.

It said my costs should be:

With the 4-tier plan: your electricity cost is: $72.15
With the TOU-D-A plan: your electricity cost is: $46.61
With the TOU-D-B plan: your electricity cost is: $107.51
With the TOU-D-T plan: your electricity cost is: $73.550

Actual for 3-tier was $101.31.

Last edited:
(I'm cross posting from the Tesla forum)

SCE is finally opening up their rebate program through the California Clean Fuel Rewards Program. PG&E and SDG&E had each published their programs much earlier this year.

The website is Clean Fuel Rewards Program | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

Interestingly, there is not one word of this program on the main sce.com website. None. I wonder how many people are aware of it, since it seems to be a well-kept secret. Fellow Tesla owners, it's no secret to us anymore!

You'll need your SCE account number and proof of vehicle registration to get the $450 rebate. It is now taking "30 days" for them to even look at your application, and an estimated 90 days till you get the check. Not like SCE is dragging this out to hold onto their money...

Oh, and there's more: The pull down menu for Tesla Model S omits several variants, including the 70 and 70D. I used the 60D to get the application in, but I'm betting that SCE will reject it (whenever they get to my application in the next 30 days -SMH) because it's not the "actual" variant.

I started with much lower usage than most, about $60 per month on Tiered plan. The Tesla shoved us into tier 3 and 4 at much higher rates. Edison customer service compared several representative weeks of usage in the prior year for me, tiered rate vs TOU, and it turned out that TOU would have been $25 cheaper than tiered rate over the course of a year.

I use a dryer plug and 10-30 adapter to charge from as low as 5% to 90% in about 10 hours at $0.12/kWh.

SCE is finally opening up their rebate program through the California Clean Fuel Rewards Program. PG&E and SDG&E had each published their programs much earlier this year.

Interestingly, there is not one word of this program on the main sce.com website. None. I wonder how many people are aware of it, since it seems to be a well-kept secret. Fellow Tesla owners, it's no secret to us anymore!

You'll need your SCE account number and proof of vehicle registration to get the $450 rebate. It is now taking "30 days" for them to even look at your application, and an estimated 90 days till you get the check. Not like SCE is dragging this out to hold onto their money...

Oh, and there's more: The pull down menu for Tesla Model S omits several variants, including the 70 and 70D. I used the 60D to get the application in, but I'm betting that SCE will reject it (whenever they get to my application in the next 30 days -SMH) because it's not the "actual" variant.
Thank you, I'll be applying

Thanks!
This should be in it's own thread!

Thanks !!! Great catch !!! Between this $450 rebate and the ~ $450 we save every summer on SCE's Summer Discount Plan we'll save 45% this year off our typical $2,000 annual SCE bill.

Summer Discount Plan | Rebates, Incentives, & Savings Tips | Your Home | Home - SCE

• Informative
Reactions: BruceR61
I'm not convinced on TOU. Our highest usage (outside of EV charging) is during the highest TOU charge. I don't have solar. If the payback was 5 years I would probably go for it. Since it is more like 8-10 years I'll wait.

We moved into our current house November 2015, we literally doubled our floor space, added a pool and central AC to our family home that we bought. We have been on the basic 3 tier plan, now that I have the MS, I need to make sure we are on the right plan through So Cal Edison. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 small children, my wife and I work full time and we are pretty much out of the house from 7am - 6pmish (FYI: we have multiple layers of security including neighbors that are home all day) so our usage weekdays is primarily early in the mornings and later in the evenings. For some reason we always assumed that we were on a TOU plan so we instinctively tried to shift energy use to be on during the late night, like our pool pump, I currently have it set to run from 12am - 5am.

Today, I called SCE and switched to the TOU-D-B which is:

TOU-D Option B (TOU-D-B)

TOU-D-B has three different time or “peak” periods and associated pricing.

• This rate option has generally lower peak prices
  • There is no baseline credit on this rate option
  • The daily basic charge is $.54 per day
  • This rate option is generally attractive to high usage customers, with monthly usage of more than 700 kWh
Close peak hours and pricing
Hide

TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg

I get home around 7pm and right now have to charge the car with the basic 5-15 plug because I need to upgrade my panel from a 100amp to a 200amp service. I should have that complete hopefully by the end of this month at which time I will be getting a 14-50 on a dedicated circuit installed, then eventually going solar.

Currently I'm charging the MS all night and leave around 7am, so its plugged in anywhere from 10-12 hours nightly into the early mornings. Our current bill is anywhere from $111 - $160 per month, I've calculated about another $50-$75 more a month just for adding the MS.

For those in the So Cal area that have Edison, have you changed to a TOU plan after you got your Tesla? Can anyone with a similar situation shed some light if changing to a TOU saved you money or did it make your bill go up?

T.I.A.

OP, can you give a link for where you found this image you posted? I'd like to see the TOU-A plan graph if they have one.
I've searched all over the SCE site and googled for it but can't fine it.
Thanks!

I have the TOU-D-B plan which is supposed to be for users over 750 KW/ month. I am averaging about 2,000 KW/month with pool, 5 ton AC and a Tesla I drive 80 miles round trip to work plus side trips (5K miles in two months). My car charges at 10:00 PM. I also changed my pool filter to run on weekdays starting at 10:00 PM. I think I am essentially charging the car for free with the other savings I am seeing.​