Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But indicators are in fact optional. If you crash into someone because they didn’t signal, or signalled incorrectly, then it’s your fault not theirs.
What if you crash into someone because you’re momentarily distracted by trying to use the indicators? Or are you really suggesting Tesla drivers should now just not bother indicating at all?

I think I’ve heard it all now

Last edited:
So, is an OBD device an accessory or a mod? Or maybe one of the many Android-based dash displays? Or how about the current SEXY buttons? My car has the TopFit display, which connects via a Y cable into the car’s main computer and I’ve had it with Tesla SC with zero mention or complaints about it (since the problem it was in for was the suspension).
With respect that’s all well and good while you don’t have a problem. When you get an electrical/electronics problem of some kind let’s revisit how willing Tesla are to turn a blind eye to something that’s plugged into the CANBUS that they can blame.

Plugging something in to the CANBUS that can send messages (even if it doesn’t) is a slam dunk for Tesla to blame in the event of pretty much any electrical issue.

I agree. I've installed an aftermarket powered tailgate, which relies on a CAN signal.

Since then I've had issues with charge port, my infotainment screen and my speakers. Tesla have not once tried to wriggle out of any warranty work.
That’s more likely to be because it’s not at all obvious that such a thing would even be plugged in there, so they’re not going to discover that without looking for it, whereas a screen that gives info on the car and acts as an alternative UI to it is patently going to wired that way.

yet many of the people who say that are advocating paying extra for indicator stalks. Apply my “what would you think if BMW, Audi or Mercedes did this?” test and many supporting Tesla on this would be at the front of the queue to criticise them.
This question is slightly irrelevant in this case - they are giving you a different way to indicate and if you don’t like that then you can have it as an option. BMW doesn’t give you a cup holder to begin with and it comes as £75 option. Tesla is the first main stream company (if you can call it that way now) to give customers so much extras as part of the car rather than selling it as an option or selling it as SE, S or some model name.

It’s not warranty that’s being talked about, it’s insurance

I think indicators are the nearest to being a primary control as you can get once you take into account steering and the go and stop pedals, it’s a material function to driving, I’d argue more so than gear select which isn’t touched when moving, and therefore the consequences of it malfunctioning are greater than anything other than steering and brakes, and the time you actually use indicators are during the busy times of driving, ie junctions, lane changes, roundabouts, so just when you have the greatest demand on your cognitive skills whilst driving.

But it doesn’t matter what you or I think, it’s for the insurance company to decide, unless you like the idea of being personally liable for any third party claim should the worst happen, all for the sake of asking the question.

I also find it somewhat amusing that “the thing I like about Tesla is you don’t have to pay extra for options like heated seats…” and yet many of the people who say that are advocating paying extra for indicator stalks. Apply my “what would you think if BMW, Audi or Mercedes did this?” test and many supporting Tesla on this would be at the front of the queue to criticise them.

Everything about the Highland seems to be a massive step forward, if the Performance comes with better seats and improved suspension even better, it’s just so frustrating to be so close to a peerless car to go and do what they’ve done, and I say that as both a Tesla owner an£ shareholder.
Fully agree with this George.

When it comes to insurance it’s the law in the UK that you have to inform your insurance company when you modify your car. It’s not something that’s a matter of opinion to debate on a forum, it’s a matter of fact imposed on us by the government.

I’m fine with people modifying this. If they want to maybe lose their warranty and I suspect pay a larger insurance premium for it then their choice. Just don’t come on a public forum advocating for people to break the law by not telling their insurance company. We have enough uninsured drivers on the roads, should your insurance company find out you’d just be another one of them. Do it the right way or don’t modify the car at all.

This question is slightly irrelevant in this case - they are giving you a different way to indicate and if you don’t like that then you can have it as an option. BMW doesn’t give you a cup holder to begin with and it comes as £75 option. Tesla is the first main stream company (if you can call it that way now) to give customers so much extras as part of the car rather than selling it as an option or selling it as SE, S or some model name.
We have a Tesla and a BMW and I can assure you our BMW comes with 2 cup holders as standard in the front, and 2 in the back in the arm rest. I've just checked the configurator (as I like to research a point before I make a claim) and cup holders aren't even a configurable item on a 1 series.

And personally, I used to enjoy the buying experience deciding how I wanted the car to be configured. What combination of seat trim and dash finish, which of 7 different alloy wheels I fancied, etc etc. Paying for extras isn't a con, you take the package price and determine if its worth it. Would I prefer to pay 30k for the base and only include the bits I want to make the price 34k or pay 35k for a one size fits all and stuff that never gets used?

You seem to have a greater hatred for the brand than just about anyone I know. Let it go, quoting incorrect facts just diminishes any valid points you may have,

Uh oh, you've done it again.

Also as @GeorgeSymonds has pointed out, that statement is pure fiction.
It is not, I paid £75 as an option to configure the cup holder (adaptive) at the back in the X3 in 2013 - realised this later and ditched the whole car and bought the Velar - but that is a complete different storey. Today BMW may not charge for cupholders but that was always not the case.

@GeorgeSymonds has to check his facts over a period of time rather than accusing someone. Btw, BMW still charges 80Euros/£75 for front adaptive cupholders in US markets.
see the chat below:

I think moderators need to be more polite when dismissing opinions and experiences.

I am really sorry to be rude but the fact of the matter is legacy car makers were milking all the money as options and Tesla changed that. You may not want to admit it and you may love the option lists but that is your own choice and others prefer different choices. Please do respect others choices.

have a greater hatred for the brand than just about anyone I know. Let it go, quoting incorrect facts just diminishes any valid points you may have,
Not really, I just don’t like companies pixxxx me off for years and years just by modifying their trim levels and option lists and calling it the driver’s car.

Last edited:
Last time I checked, we were not in the US, so this is totally irrelevant

2013... again, totally irrelevant to today. Next you'll moan that you had to spec parking sensors back then as well...
Don’t take that out of context - still adaptive cupholders in Europe cost extra 80Euros. I know we are not in the europe market. But I also mentioned about my own experience in 2013 which you conveniently dismissed.

If you need UK market see the link: Again some trim levels do not come with the front cupholder even now and it is an option.

Don’t take that out of context - still adaptive cupholders in Europe cost extra 80Euros. I know we are not in the europe market. But I also mentioned about my own experience in 2013 which you conveniently dismissed.

If you need UK market see the link: Again some trim levels do not come with the front cupholder even now and it is an option.
Even now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that link for cupholders if for now must be time warped as they look to be for a a 1996 car? If so, its pretty good that they are still selling accessories for a 26 year old car.

There is a disclaimer saying images are for illustrative purposes only, shows how up to date their online sales team is :) if you ask me? - half empty all the time not half full when it comes to the B brand. @Zilla91 avoided mentioning the name.

I think you need to check your facts about exactly what model it refers to. And you can double check them on third party websites too.

Reactions: Durzel
Holding a grudge against BMW since 1996 explains a lot though. ;)
Yes, I liked the 80s M3s(Teslas of the 80s maybe) unfortunately not the fan of 90s M3s.

1699015719671.jpeg

1699015806214.jpeg

Last edited:
What if you crash into someone because you’re momentarily distracted by trying to use the indicators? Or are you really suggesting Tesla drivers should now just not bother indicating at all?
Like looking for buttons on a steering wheel when it’s upside down perhaps? 🙂 I reckon it may well be safer not to indicate at all if all you’ve got are stupidly placed buttons that require a visual check to locate them.

Fortunately for Tesla, it would still be your fault whatever barriers they place in your way.

Last edited: