Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Slower supercharging on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Hopefully this thread will encourage more of the "woe is me" people to cancel their orders ;)

Did anyone else notice the speed on supercharging? 130 miles per 30 minutes. On a 220 mile car. So its not 30 minutes to 80% like with a Model S, it's 30 minutes to 60%. It's 40 minutes, an extra 10 minutes wait per stop, to 80%.

The reasoning is probably the same reason they're limiting the battery mileage warranty - they have to control warranty costs better on a more mass-market car, and thus are limiting cell wear more.

Has no effect on me - there's not a supercharger in my entire country, I'll be charging on CHAdeMOs at 43kW. But with superchargers limited to 66kW for a Model 3, that's not that much of a difference! ;)

220 * .8 = 176miles
130 miles charging per 30 minutes = 4.3 miles per minute
176/4.3 = 41 minutes to 80%

If it doesn't taper more above 60%. My 90D charges best from 0-55%, after that it starts to taper.

Generally supercharging is the only thing I think is disappointing on the Model 3. I really hoped for it to be a bit better, not worse, than on the Model S/X. Not even the 170 miles in 30 minutes of the "long range battery" are impressive.

Reactions: zmarty
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Supercharging mean FAST charging?

Are we the guinea pigs who are going to be testing the new 2170 cells for Tesla?

Did the Model S 60 battery have a lower charge speed or did it also do 170 miles in 30 minutes?

And I noticed on My Tesla page that supercharging was listed as "pay per use" Where's my free 400 KW of Supercharging?

Umm so my Model S 70 typically takes at least 20 minutes to get to 50% and that gets me to the next Supercharger. This doesn't sound much different to me, that is how you can long distance travel if you want speedy charging.

It seems counter intuitive to macho human male instincts to pull over and take a break but most of the time it's actually a great idea and not a bad thing at all to stop every couple of hours for a break.

For the condo dwellers who will go to the urban SCs to charge, the idea will be to park your car and go do something for an hour or so. Also good for the long distance travellers who have an SC beside a great site, take advantage and range charge.

That's reality for now and it seems like a big change in your life but you'll survive ;)

...130 miles per 30 minutes. On a 220 mile car. So its not 30 minutes to 80% like with a Model S, it's 30 minutes to 60%. It's 40 minutes, an extra 10 minutes wait per stop, to 80%.
The reasoning is probably the same reason they're limiting the battery mileage warranty - they have to control warranty costs better on a more mass-market car, and thus are limiting cell wear more. ...
I would guess another 'benefit' is to discourage supercharging for locals (or taxi/uber/lyft) abusing it? Good. They call the 310 car 'long range' to imply traveling.

It's possible Tesla is anticipating with all the extra cars most supercharging sessions will be at half rate with two cars on each charger. Maybe they are just being conservative so that people are pleasantly surprised when they see a faster rate instead of the opposite.

Considering how much they are still anti-selling the 3 against the S I wouldn't be surprised to see them throttle the 3 to give the S priority at a supercharger.

Reactions: dhanson865