Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow superchargers in Scottsdale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging for my 2016 MS at both the Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland has slowed to about 49kW. Not sure if it's a change in the chargers or something on my end (throttling from a software update?). Anyone else notice the slowing?

What is your starting charge% ? It makes a difference big difference.
The chargers nominally only go up to 72 kW. I don't know if two cars have to share that 72 kW where there are two cars, or if everyone gets a max of 72 kW.
Now adays, I get ~65 or 70 kW when I'm below 25% (2015 model S). It drops off quickly. I can't remember the last time I got over 100 kW.
Which is why I will upgrade only when the replacement car will be able to accept a higher level of power for longer durations. I'm thinking that 4680 cells will enable this without having to buy a Plaid version, which would just get me into trouble.

50 kW at a SC is when I usually decide it is time to move on if I can make it to the next SC on a trip.

Upvote 0
What is your starting charge% ? It makes a difference big difference.
The chargers nominally only go up to 72 kW. I don't know if two cars have to share that 72 kW where there are two cars, or if everyone gets a max of 72 kW.
Now adays, I get ~65 or 70 kW when I'm below 25% (2015 model S). It drops off quickly. I can't remember the last time I got over 100 kW.
Which is why I will upgrade only when the replacement car will be able to accept a higher level of power for longer durations. I'm thinking that 4680 cells will enable this without having to buy a Plaid version, which would just get me into trouble.

50 kW at a SC is when I usually decide it is time to move on if I can make it to the next SC on a trip.
It was 49kw regardless of my level (usually going from 25% to 80%). Also, it was like that with no other cars within 3 chargers of me. I've been charging at these two locations multiple the times per month for three years...just started slowing a few weeks ago.

Reactions: beej
Upvote 0
It was 49kw regardless of my level (usually going from 25% to 80%). Also, it was like that with no other cars within 3 chargers of me. I've been charging at these two locations multiple the times per month for three years...just started slowing a few weeks ago.
Do you use SCs a lot? There was talk of frequent users getting limited in charging power to prevent too much battery degradation. That's all I can think of other than perhaps the chargers were having issues. Try a higher power charging location if you can to see if it is the charger or your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV
Upvote 0
Also, it was like that with no other cars within 3 chargers of me.
If these are the "urban" style Superchargers with the solid pillar body, then the location where you park and which stall and the presence of other cars won't matter.

It is 72 kW per each stall, but here's what they actually use. It's the exact same 150 kW Supercharger cabinet as the regular V2 station, but they have the control software programmed so it doesn't have any of that "Primary" and "Secondary" car, where the "Secondary" might get stuck with a lower rate if the "Primary" car that got there first is hogging most of the power. So it's just an even 72 kW available to each side all the time. So it's still physically paired, but it doesn't make any difference if there's another car on the other side. They get to save some wire cost going to the stalls since each one will never have to support over 72 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
Upvote 0
Hi - I just noticed some slowing too. Just posted under a new title, but I can't get over 70kW. This is unpaired at different charges at Culver City (V2). I even had it at Tejon Outlets (V3) and Kettleman unpaired (V2). I have a very early X and free for life supercharging, so I'm wondering if they throttled me or if something wrong or what.

Upvote 0
Hi - I just noticed some slowing too. Just posted under a new title, but I can't get over 70kW. This is unpaired at different charges at Culver City (V2). I even had it at Tejon Outlets (V3) and Kettleman unpaired (V2). I have a very early X and free for life supercharging, so I'm wondering if they throttled me or if something wrong or what.
I have free-for-life supercharging as well, @FroglegsX2015, and I am getting fast charging at other chargers between PHX and CA (Quartzsite, Ehrenberg, Indio), so I know I'm not getting throttled 100% of the time.

Upvote 0
Is the throttling true?

Seems like it after SuperCh my car at same location multiple times and yes FREE. Initially my S was going from 20% to 85% under 30 min but recently it took more than 45+ min just to get from 30% to 80%. No cars next to me either side and its 250W. I saw charging hit 99kw before coming down significantly. Just wondering what will happen if I take a road trip.

Upvote 0
Is the throttling true?

Seems like it after SuperCh my car at same location multiple times and yes FREE. Initially my S was going from 20% to 85% under 30 min but recently it took more than 45+ min just to get from 30% to 80%. No cars next to me either side and its 250W. I saw charging hit 99kw before coming down significantly. Just wondering what will happen if I take a road trip.
Could be a lot of things but most likely culprit is a cold battery. Had you driven many miles before plugging in? Was the ambient temperature somewhat cool? Had your car been parked outside in that ambient temperature overnight or at least for a few hours?

If you are a new owner in Scottsdale, this phenomenon is not something you would have experienced in the last 6 months, but winter is here and it does cause some added difficulties for battery efficiency and charging.

Reactions: Sparky1 and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Is the throttling true?

I've used all 3 in Scottsdale and the connectors at Kierland and Scottsdale Rd. seem to be slower than normal these days. But the new one at Shea seems to be faster than the others. I try to map to the chargers as soon as possible to get the battery conditioning going.

Upvote 0
I’m talking about Atlanta area. Charger is 6 miles and on the way I get message that it’s pre-conditioning the battery for faster charging but taking longer to charge than initially ones. Last time charging took even longer, 30 min got got 25% to 60% 😖
6 miles isn't enough time to precondition when it's cold. And it's preconditioning because it's cold. When it doesn't precondition in warmer months, it's because the battery is warm enough already.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0