Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skip Every Other Tire Rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do most people use the Tesla SC for tire rotation vs. going to your local Firestone or similar tire store?

I can't speak for most people but I used the Tesla Service Center. I had them look into a couple other nits and they did the normal courtesy inspection which includes inspecting the UMC and updating the firmware (if it isn't fully up to date). Tesla doesn't charge for the rotation and you're not going to get those extra things anywhere else. So in my opinion it'd be silly to go somewhere else.

That's without bothering to get into the various tire shops that have issues torquing Tesla lugs properly.

Not sure if the policy has changed recently but, only the first tire rotation is free at a Tesla service center. Subsequent ones cost $70 unless you purchase the prepaid service plan. I choose Tesla too over other shops.

That is NOT true. I just had mine rotated the other day and I don't have any prepaid plans and I'm wayyy out of warranty too. Not only was the tire rotation free but they also updated the firmware, replaced a missing cap, and replaced my 12V terminals (they were severely corroded) , all free.

Mine were rotated last week at 6,244 miles. No difference in wear all 4 were at 8/32 (outer center and inner) according to the paperwork from Tesla. It's probably still too early to say but it seems that the AWD vehicles don't have the wear problems of the RWD vehicles. I have the standard 19" wheels with Michellin Primacy tires.

Curios on how they rotate on the "D"
do you know how they rotated? cross? or front to back? or both?

Most likely the manual says front and back, but there's really no restriction on doing it cross rotation unless the tires dictate one way or the other. Generally it's easier to rotate on the same side, and perhaps safer for the DIY person, because only two wheels need to be off the ground.

Front to back. I had a rock strike on the front passenger wheel which is now the rear passenger wheel, so I know that's what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely the manual says front and back, but there's really no restriction on doing it cross rotation unless the tires dictate one way or the other. Generally it's easier to rotate on the same side, and perhaps safer for the DIY person, because only two wheels need to be off the ground.

My manual doesn't say how to do it. I vaguely remember there being a mention of this in my S85 manual but the manual in the car and in My Tesla doesn't say.

*This was the response I got from Tesla regarding tire rotation.

Thank you for reaching out to tech support. Tires on an 85D are rotated the same as a standard 85. It would only be different on*P85D’s with the wider rear wheels.
For tire rotation, the front wheels go directly back to the rear, but the rear wheels cross in an “X” so they go to the opposite sides on the front.