Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRIUS XM PROBLEMS (AGAIN), THIS TIME WITH FAVORITES

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am debating whether i should report the fact that it doesn't scroll through all of them, only the first x number (and x seems to change day to day). i'm afraid if i report it they'll try to "fix" it by breaking it altogether again.
Amazing that something so easy can’t be fixed. I was so happy to scroll through my favorites until I noticed it didn’t cycle through all of them. How can it be so difficult to get that right? Is the software that limited? I mean they can have the car basically drive itself but can’t allow you to cycle through all of your favorites? It’s like they have the smartest dumb people working there.

Amazing that something so easy can’t be fixed. I was so happy to scroll through my favorites until I noticed it didn’t cycle through all of them. How can it be so difficult to get that right? Is the software that limited? I mean they can have the car basically drive itself but can’t allow you to cycle through all of your favorites? It’s like they have the smartest dumb people working there.

i mean, it's the same people that elon took and made twitter worth a third of what he paid for it less than a year later...so, maybe they're just not that smart.

maybe elon just isn't that smart.

Well that didn’t last long, my XM now cycles through every station again so I guess it was a temporary fix. I’ll do a reset tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

it will do that if you manually select a non favorite...in that case it goes sequentially until it ends up on a favorite, then goes back to favorites at that point.

I've also noticed that the buttons on the screen still go sequentially, it's only the wheel now that goes thru favorites (which is fine, I like that actually).

it will do that if you manually select a non favorite...in that case it goes sequentially until it ends up on a favorite, then goes back to favorites at that point.

I've also noticed that the buttons on the screen still go sequentially, it's only the wheel now that goes thru favorites (which is fine, I like that actually).

I only use the wheel and it won’t go through my favorites anymore. It was the same way this morning too.

at the risk of jinxing it, they seem to have made more improvements / fixes on the favorites in the past few weeks. i'm on 2023.26.8 now and after reordering all of my favorites last night, they're still all being cycled through with the scroll wheel (not just 20 or so like it was previously after they "fixed" it). this behavior also survived a double scroll reboot, where previously that would always have taken me back to only cycling through the first 20-ish presets.

of course with tesla there's no guarantee it'll stay fixed, but the early returns are promising. hoping it stays this way and they don't break it in a future update, like they seem to do far too often.

Reactions: DBV1
how do you clear all the favorites that show at the bottom of the screen....I only want a couple there and it used to line up according to when you selected them.....now I have to manualll scroll all the way over to find the station I want

you mean the quick player favorites list? that has never worked consistently AFAIK...i don't even bother using it because it keeps moving everything around.

one thing that still isn't fixed: the stupid bug where the radio resets and goes back to the radio ID, sometimes in an infinite loop that takes a reboot to get out of.

on the plus side though, that's another time where my favorites would have gone bonkers again previously, but now they're still there. baby steps, i guess. i mean, it has only been what...18 months or so since these issues were first reported? elon clearly has much more important things to do...

Looks like this worked for me too. Appreciate the heads up on this one. This was something that annoyed me since I got the car! I did have to delete and re-add all favorites for them to start scrolling correctly.

Now hopefully they can fix the fact that SXM skips and buffers so often, LOL. More then any other car I’ve owned since I got SXM 15 years ago.

some reports coming in via other threads that this is broken again in 2023.38.6. i'm on 2023.38.4 and it's still working, so as of now i'm not updating past this until we get confirmation that it's either broken and we have a workaround or it's fixed again in a subsequent update. otherwise i guess i'm staying on 38.4 for the foreseeable future.

good job, tesla. this was broken for over a year and fixed for about six months before you broke it again.

maybe elon should worry less about making sure people come to the office every day and more about hiring people who know how to write automated tests so they stop breaking things every five seconds.

So now that I've been able to join the Tesla OEM SiriusXM club (on Model 3 with Ryzen), I knew my day was coming in dealing with MCU SiriusXM navigation and specifically SiriusXM favorites. This is the most recent thread I could find on the subject, so forgive me if there is one more recent with better info. @crackers8199 covered the basic workaround in their prior posts, but I was missing some context and discovered a bit more about the nature of the problem and wanted to write it up for those, like me, that are new to Tesla SiriusXM, and this problem

With normal back and forth presses on the left steering wheel control I'm getting the behavior most recently reported of each channel up (channel2->channel3->channel4) instead of cycling through favorites.

In experimenting with different situations and inputs. I learned a lot. I think I've got a good working understanding of the behavior.

Long explanation: (skip to the bottom if you just want it to work and don't care why it does)

There are three different sets (Next/Previous) buttons on the car:

1. The steering wheel control from left wheel
  2. The MCU screen when the SiriusXM app is up
  3. The Tesla mobile app when mobile access is enabled (on Android at least, I don't now about iOS)

There are TWO sets of "favorites"
  1. The MCU screen inside the full SiriusXM app (lets all this "inside favorites")
  2. The MCU media control screen below the picture of your car on the MCU (lets call this "outside favorites")
1703204660161.png

When the favorites behavior we want of the Steering Wheel control will cycle between favorites the only favorites list the steering wheel looks at is outside favorites list!!!

The main bug appears to be MCU outside app favorites list is deleted, and when there are no entries the outside favorites list doesn't even show up on the screen as an option (you just see Recent and Sources with no Favorites in between) tends to disappear. When outside app favorites is missing our only steering wheel option for changing channels is non-favorite sequential (like channel2->channel3->channel4)
Outside favorites missing:
1703207960740.png

So how do you get favorites on your outside favorite list? You have to use the inside favorites list. Yes yes, I know what you're going to say, "I already have the list fully populated". I know, but none of those are on the outside favorites list. To fill your outside favorites list, favorite a channel on your inside favorites list (hit the star so it is now unstarred), then immediately set it as a favorite again with the star button on the inside favorites list. As soon as you've added at least two favorites to the inside favorites, you'll see the outside favorites option appear between Recent and Sources. It just pops right into existence on the screen.

1703208326007.png

During this time you can keep the outside favorites list up and you'll see your favorites adding to your outside favorites list (up to three on the screen visible and they move around as you tune). As soon as you have even just two channels on your outside favorites list, your steering wheel controls will cycle back and forth between these two favorites. Any non-favorite sequential (like channel2->channel3->channel4) channel navigation you'll have to do from the MCU screen either by directly selecting the channel from the MCU Sirius app or using the next/previous on-screen buttons. At this point you're nearly done. Simply go to your inside favorites list and unstar then star each favorite you want in the cycle.

Short explanation:

Go to your Inside favorites list. Unstar, then re-star each favorite.

So the bad news:

Once you have this working it DOES NOT SURVIVE AN MCU RESET (meaning pressing and holding both steering wheel wheel controls). I've only just worked this out this evening, so I don't know if it will survive when the car goes to deep sleep either. I don't know what else will make it forget, but I have now gone through the process of a reset, and setting up of Favorites 6 times to make sure its reproducible and working.

Here's a short animated gif showing the end result. Channel changes are occurring from the steering wheel controls. At the beginning I'm pressing the right direction for "next" toward the end I press the left direction for "previous". You can see the favorites cycling as we want!

Tesla SiriusXM favorites working smaller yet.gif

So now that I've been able to join the Tesla OEM SiriusXM club (on Model 3 with Ryzen), I knew my day was coming in dealing with MCU SiriusXM navigation and specifically SiriusXM favorites. This is the most recent thread I could find on the subject, so forgive me if there is one more recent with better info. @crackers8199 covered the basic workaround in their prior posts, but I was missing some context and discovered a bit more about the nature of the problem and wanted to write it up for those, like me, that are new to Tesla SiriusXM, and this problem

With normal back and forth presses on the left steering wheel control I'm getting the behavior most recently reported of each channel up (channel2->channel3->channel4) instead of cycling through favorites.

In experimenting with different situations and inputs. I learned a lot. I think I've got a good working understanding of the behavior.

Long explanation: (skip to the bottom if you just want it to work and don't care why it does)

There are three different sets (Next/Previous) buttons on the car:

1. The steering wheel control from left wheel
  2. The MCU screen when the SiriusXM app is up
  3. The Tesla mobile app when mobile access is enabled (on Android at least, I don't now about iOS)

There are TWO sets of "favorites"
  1. The MCU screen inside the full SiriusXM app (lets all this "inside favorites")
  2. The MCU media control screen below the picture of your car on the MCU (lets call this "outside favorites")
View attachment 1001933

When the favorites behavior we want of the Steering Wheel control will cycle between favorites the only favorites list the steering wheel looks at is outside favorites list!!!

The main bug appears to be MCU outside app favorites list is deleted, and when there are no entries the outside favorites list doesn't even show up on the screen as an option (you just see Recent and Sources with no Favorites in between) tends to disappear. When outside app favorites is missing our only steering wheel option for changing channels is non-favorite sequential (like channel2->channel3->channel4)
Outside favorites missing:
View attachment 1001951

So how do you get favorites on your outside favorite list? You have to use the inside favorites list. Yes yes, I know what you're going to say, "I already have the list fully populated". I know, but none of those are on the outside favorites list. To fill your outside favorites list, favorite a channel on your inside favorites list (hit the star so it is now unstarred), then immediately set it as a favorite again with the star button on the inside favorites list. As soon as you've added at least two favorites to the inside favorites, you'll see the outside favorites option appear between Recent and Sources. It just pops right into existence on the screen.

View attachment 1001952

During this time you can keep the outside favorites list up and you'll see your favorites adding to your outside favorites list (up to three on the screen visible and they move around as you tune). As soon as you have even just two channels on your outside favorites list, your steering wheel controls will cycle back and forth between these two favorites. Any non-favorite sequential (like channel2->channel3->channel4) channel navigation you'll have to do from the MCU screen either by directly selecting the channel from the MCU Sirius app or using the next/previous on-screen buttons. At this point you're nearly done. Simply go to your inside favorites list and unstar then star each favorite you want in the cycle.

Short explanation:

Go to your Inside favorites list. Unstar, then re-star each favorite.

So the bad news:

Once you have this working it DOES NOT SURVIVE AN MCU RESET (meaning pressing and holding both steering wheel wheel controls). I've only just worked this out this evening, so I don't know if it will survive when the car goes to deep sleep either. I don't know what else will make it forget, but I have now gone through the process of a reset, and setting up of Favorites 6 times to make sure its reproducible and working.

Here's a short animated gif showing the end result. Channel changes are occurring from the steering wheel controls. At the beginning I'm pressing the right direction for "next" toward the end I press the left direction for "previous". You can see the favorites cycling as we want!

View attachment 1001949

i gave up using the "outside favorites" as you're describing them here, because it's just completely unreliable. at least they finally fixed it so that the steering wheel will cycle through whatever favorites you have in the main player, that's good enough for me. i almost never use the screen anymore, unless i'm trying to find a sporting event or i want to jump right to listen to howard which is at the very top of my favorites list...otherwise i'm just cycling through my favorites with the scroll wheel.

the main window favorites list does survive a reboot. my suggestion is to just use that and don't worry about the mini player favorites, or you'll drive yourself insane trying to make it work. just be happy the main player favorites and the scroll wheel finally work - we went over a year with that not working either.

Last edited:
>the main window favorites list does survive a reboot. my suggestion is to just use that and don't worry about the mini player favorites, or you'll drive yourself insane trying to make it work.

At least on mine when there are no "outside favorites" the "inside favorites" are simply ignored and the steering wheel controls just go up one channel at a time on "next" press instead of going to the next favorite.

I don't actually care what the "outside favorites" looks like, as I agree it doesn't look right even when the steering wheel favorites scrolling is working. My goal wasn't actually to fix or "get working" the outside favorites, but I believe I've identified that the "outside favorites" is what the steering wheel actually cycles through.

>the main window favorites list does survive a reboot. my suggestion is to just use that and don't worry about the mini player favorites, or you'll drive yourself insane trying to make it work.

At least on mine when there are no "outside favorites" the "inside favorites" are simply ignored and the steering wheel controls just go up one channel at a time on "next" press instead of going to the next favorite.

I don't actually care what the "outside favorites" looks like, as I agree it doesn't look right even when the steering wheel favorites scrolling is working. My goal wasn't actually to fix or "get working" the outside favorites, but I believe I've identified that the "outside favorites" is what the steering wheel actually cycles through.

this isn't the case, at least it wasn't as of 38.4. my car uses the scroll wheel to cycle through the favorites list in the main window. it doesn't matter what i have in the mini player favorites list, it goes through the main window favorites.

there is a minor caveat to this - it works like that IF you're already on a favorite channel.

there are three possible scenarios in play here (at least as of 38.4, which is the way it worked from the time tesla finally fixed this earlier this year and i think is actually a sensible way of doing it):

* if you're on a favorite channel, the scroll wheel cycles through favorites as you see them in the main window.
* if you're on a non-favorite channel, the scroll wheel cycles through channels sequentially. if your sequential cycling lands you on a favorite, it then switches to go thru favorites as in the first case here.
* the prev/next buttons on the screen ALWAYS go sequentially, regardless of what channel you're currently on.

i actually like this, because when you're trying to find a sporting event you can put it on the first channel in a grouping (MLB 175, for example), then use the wheel to go sequentially one by one until you find the game you're looking for...but during normal operation, you can have the wheel go through favorites as you'd expect it to.

if you delete all favorites and collapse the mini player (again, just ignore this because it's unreliable), and then add favorites in whatever order you want them in the main window, it SHOULD work as i just described...unless tesla has broken it again between 38.4 and 44.1.

More data with a days use under my belt with software rev 2023.44.30.2

The good:

I added 31 favorites and it cycles through all of them overcoming the 20 favorite limit that @crackers8199 ran into

The bad:

The quick list favorites is cleared every single time the car goes to deep sleep, and with the quick favorites empty the favorites based scrolling at the steering wheel doesn't function (it just goes one channel up at a time ignoring any favorites). To repopulate the quick favorites, you have to un-star and restar each channel from the main favorites list inside the full SiriusXM interface on the MCU.

More data with a days use under my belt with software rev 2023.44.30.2

The good:

I added 31 favorites and it cycles through all of them overcoming the 20 favorite limit that @crackers8199 ran into

The bad:

The quick list favorites is cleared every single time the car goes to deep sleep, and with the quick favorites empty the favorites based scrolling at the steering wheel doesn't function (it just goes one channel up at a time ignoring any favorites). To repopulate the quick favorites, you have to un-star and restar each channel from the main favorites list inside the full SiriusXM interface on the MCU.

you are seeing behavior that is different from what the other reports are at this point...not sure what's going on with your car. @WhiteOnWhiteMY reported that re-adding his favorites after the update to 44.30.2 fixed the scroll wheel.