Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigs not compatible with battery swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am gladder and gladder over time that I cancelled my Sig order and got back in line for a regular-production car (which I got quite early, February 2013). At the time the value proposition on the Sigs seemed very suspicious, and it turns out that it was.

People think we had the Sig's for a long time before the 1st production cars....glad you broke this myth!

Putting Sigs first in line for the battery swap pilot back in December 2014 would have been a nice gesture. Unfortunately, that wouldn't help our friends to the east.

Oh, by the way found this and thought it was interesting:

Elon: Yes, we have basically the LA to San Francisco pack swap capability in place. And I believe all Model S owners in California area have been invited at this point to try it out. And what we’re seeing is just a very low take rate for this fast conversation. So, we did an initial round of invitations. We did like 200 invitations. And I think there were a total of four or five people that wanted to do that and they all did it just once. So okay, it’s clearly not very popular. And then it was like, we’ll actually expand that invitation to old customers but I would expect that initial sample group is that all customers roughly behave like that initial sample group is just people don’t care about pack swap. The Superchargers are fast enough that if you do the driving from LA to San Francisco and you start a trip at 9 am, by the time you get to say noon, you want to stop and you want to stretch legs, hit the restroom, grab by to eat, grab a coffee and go on your way. But that time, the car is charged and ready to go and it’s free. So it’s like why would you do the pack swap. It doesn’t make much sense. And we’ve booked pack swap into the car because we weren’t sure if people would want to choose the pack swap or not. We thought people would prefer super Supercharging with low interest. So that’s why we booked the pack swap capability.

LOL. Elon not on the same page as the rest of Tesla. Is this what you were recalling @AE Dennis?

Putting Sigs first in line for the battery swap pilot back in December 2014 would have been a nice gesture. Unfortunately, that wouldn't help our friends to the east.

Oh, by the way found this and thought it was interesting:

LOL. Elon not on the same page as the rest of Tesla. Is this what you were recalling @AE Dennis?

Exactly. That's from the annual meeting. Same one that announced the liquid cooled/thinner SC cables.

2. Map lights in the back for Sigs—remember when George B said they removed the map lights due to unhappiness with the quality but that they were coming back and there would be a free install for owners of older cars since they were supposed to have them? Every time I ask, I am told no one knows of any retrofit.
The rear map lights can be done and should be under warranty. They have to take the entire top of your car off so I decided it wasn't worth it. At least what I was told in Seattle.

One person is being told that this is an available free warranty retrofit... while another person who has been asking for it repeatedly is told that he can't have it because they don't know of any retrofit? This sounds like another one of Tesla's infamous Failure Of Internal Communications problems.

Tesla needs to hire someone with experience at sending inter-office memos. Seriously.

And I do mean seriously. There is a complete lack of information coordination. They don't need someone with *any* expertise in cars, or technology, or anything like that; they need someone who's capable of going back and forth between departments and between offices on opposite sides of the country and forcing them to communicate accurately with each other. I know a few women who've had jobs doing exactly that in various companies. It's a very important job, and Tesla seems to have failed to hire people who can do it.

Last edited: