Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are, as we all know this forum is very balanced in general. Please step out of fantasy land, the fact that 100% of people so far believing Q2 will be a beat is clearly a one off and does not represent the general consensus on this board at all. I'm sure all the negative views will be rolling in any second now.
Not sure why you would say this. We rarely predict beats as far as I can tell. Q4 consensus around here was barely meeting low end of guidance and that's what happened. Same with Q1, a miss was predicted and it was a miss (maybe a bit higher than we expected).

Not sure why you would say this. We rarely predict beats as far as I can tell. Q4 consensus around here was barely meeting low end of guidance and that's what happened. Same with Q1, a miss was predicted and it was a miss (maybe a bit higher than we expected).

Well that's funny because I just went over a few pages of posts from page 500 and onwards which was on the April 1st, just before the delivery numbers. Didn't see a single negative expectation for the delivery number and a lot of positive, one for example with 6 likes. And that was for a quarter where Tesla missed hugely. I think it's pretty clear who is living in fantasy land.

Well that's funny because I just went over a few pages of posts from page 500 and onwards which was on the April 1st, just before the delivery numbers. Didn't see a single negative expectation for the delivery number and a lot of positive, one for example with 6 likes. And that was for a quarter where Tesla missed hugely. I think it's pretty clear who is living in fantasy land.
Totally. I fully agree and think you should double down on your short position.

First time in ages SA has a positive headline article regarding Tesla....

Actually, I have seen a good few positive articles on SA recently. Although the majority are indeed negative.

Example;

"This just goes to show that while cash burn will continue to be considerable, Tesla as a company is in no risk of going under. Indeed, the founders of Google have shown great faith in Elon Musk, with GOOG taking the lead in a $1 billion investment round into SpaceX last year. Should Tesla need additional funds, it will either have access to public equity markets, or private capital from Elon Musk's network."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/398...amp?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-widget

Last edited:
Are we talking about solar hot water systems or solar electricity? With those prices of 6 or 7 K, it sounds like the former.

Since we are discussing solar payoffs, I will throw in my own perspective as well :)

I installed a 3 kw system 2 years ago for $7k post-credit (30% fed credit, no CA credit anymore) from this company. One reason I went with them, besides lowest cost, is that they also do roof work. They can inspect, and repair or replace the roof before installing solar, so you don't need to remove the panels to repair the roof right after installing solar. Sometimes the combo deals are also sweetened for the customers.

Solar4America Affordable Solar Packages | PetersenDean

My goal was to cut down the tier 2 and 3 portion of my bill, so my payoff is faster. Half of my bill is due to a swimming pool, and a large percent is from occasional car charging and cooking on electric ovens.
PG&E has recently increased the minimum electricity charge to $10 from $4.50 a month for net metering customers.
For me, even with $10 minimum charge, battery makes little sense as power rarely goes out, and for $120 a year, I get to use a vast battery which is the PG&E grid.
Since I am also on time of use plan, this means I am selling excess power to the grid during day time at the peak rate. For the same price, I can then consume twice the kwh at off peak times to charge my car or run the pool filter (demand shifting).
So, for me, solar with this cost makes sense, though battery or a high cost solar still makes little sense.

However, I have friends with 2000+ sq. ft. homes costing over $1.8M with average electricity bills less than $50 a month! They have gas ovens and don't have a pool. In temperate climates, there is rarely a need to run the A/C. Energy efficient lighting and appliances have further reduced electricity demand. PG&E predicts that total electricity demand will decrease in the future. So, even a $6K system makes little sense for these people.

Then, we can rule out people who live in condos and apartments, a big percent in major cities.

Recently, I have seen the Solarcity sales people become increasingly desperate for new customers. Earlier, they would let me go when I told them I already have solar. Now, they ask me a lot of extra questions, like what's my bill now, what size system I have, and so on, trying to upsize my system. From this, I get a feeling that the easy to get customers already have solar. I think, it will be quite difficult for Solarcity and other solar companies to keep the growth momentum in residential solar going forward.

Last edited:
Since we are discussing solar payoffs, I will throw in my own perspective as well :)

I installed a 3 kw system 2 years ago for $7k post-credit (30% fed credit, no CA credit anymore) from this company. One reason I went with them, besides lowest cost, is that they also do roof work. They can inspect, and repair or replace the roof before installing solar, so you don't need to remove the panels to repair the roof right after installing solar. Sometimes the combo deals are also sweetened for the customers.

Solar4America Affordable Solar Packages | PetersenDean

My goal was to cut down the tier 2 and 3 portion of my bill, so my payoff is faster. Half of my bill is due to a swimming pool, and a large percent is from occasional car charging and cooking on electric ovens.
PG&E has recently increased the minimum electricity charge to $10 from $4.50 a month for net metering customers.
For me, even with $10 minimum charge, battery makes little sense as power rarely goes out, and for $120 a year, I get to use a vast battery which is the PG&E grid.
Since I am also on time of use plan, this means I am selling excess power to the grid during day time at the peak rate. For the same price, I can then consume twice the kwh at off peak times to charge my car or run the pool filter (demand shifting).
So, for me, solar with this cost makes sense, though battery or a high cost solar still makes little sense.

However, I have friends with 2000+ sq. ft. homes costing over $1.8M with average electricity bills less than $50 a month! They have gas ovens and don't have a pool. In temperate climates, there is rarely a need to run the A/C. Energy efficient lighting and appliances have further reduced electricity demand. PG&E predicts that total electricity demand will decrease in the future. So, even a $6K system makes little sense for these people.

Then, we can rule out people who live in condos and apartments, a big percent in major cities.

Recently, I have seen the Solarcity sales people become increasingly desperate for new customers. Earlier, they would let me go when I told them I already have solar. Now, they ask me a lot of extra questions, like what's my bill now, what size system I have, and so on, trying to upsize my system. From this, I get a feeling that the easy to get customers already have solar. I think, it will be quite difficult for Solarcity and other solar companies to keep the growth momentum in residential solar going forward.

This is only one perspective. I also live in California in the foothills near Yosemite. I'm assuming you live near the coast or far north, most of California is HOT and needs AC, it's 102 Degrees here today.

I've got a 3k sqft house with full sun exposure, my 8kw system covers everything including a lot of winter heating via electric plus AC and driving the i3. I have a view from my house and I can see hundreds of roofs in town, Only 2 other houses have Solar. I guarantee you all of them would benefit from having it here. What is that market penetration %? Hint: it's extremely low.

I have never said I'm the only one posting a negative opinion on here. If you are refering to our discussion in the other thread that was about the forum in general, recently there has been a lot of negative opinions, as there always are even here when the SP takes a hit. But that is pretty much the only time you see anything negative posted, apart from a very small minority of perhaps 2 or 3 posters.

Perfectlogic, if you are what you say you are (someone without a dog in the fight and someone here to protect us longs from ourselves), why don't you take a break, allow the longs to make some money on the results from the Q2 delivery numbers, and buy some TSLA yourself, even for the short run? We've been saying for weeks now that there's pressure to raise the SP as Friday approaches, and it is proving true. Lighten up, if you're being sponsored tell your sponsor you quit, buy some TSLA, and make money with the rest of us.

Edit: TSLA has gone up another dollar since I wrote this love letter. Hopefully, you're busy buying shares with your online brokerage as we speak.

Last edited:
It is a pity to see so few short term share prive movents related posts on this great day for the SP with more than 4% up. Op top of that are letting a few annoying people spoil the news sharing and the joy of this day as we all deserve afer we al had to endure the dips as a result of the SCTY announcement and macro events like Brexit.

To be honest I have the feeling that some posters that I highly value are posting less on this thread recently. I hope to see them back as soon as this thread (and a few others in the investors section) get back on track again.

A friend has picked up an X in CA, there were others on the lot waiting for PU. The vehicle was perfect. Oh look, $210 again.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    973.6 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: madodel and dha
Status
Not open for further replies.