Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why this state with very favorable net metering terms and where residential solar is more popular than anywhere else in the US, the utilities are now forced to increase rates while many other states are decreasing their rates. What a mystery. I'm sure the solution is more residential solar.

The state is heavily investing in green energy where others choose to continue polluting.

A quick Google search showed that the amount of residential solar in California is around 1/3 of the Solar production and utility-scale Solar is around 7.5% of the total generated power. No amount of perfect logic would lead anyone to conclude that residential solar is the reason behind rate increases and not other factors, like rising fossil fuel prices for example.

Utilities are forced to buy rooftop solar at the retail price of 16c/kwh or 20 or whatever it is in CA and is buying utility scale solar for 4c/kwh, not sure why you would blame utility scale. And fossil fuel prices have come down actually, that is why the rates in other states have flattened out lately with some utilities now lowering rates.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and EinSV
Around 15 cents or so.

More importantly a few people that went solar that I know claim that they got a system installed for about 6K to 7K (after tax credits, state rebates, etc) and they claim a payback period of 5 to 7 years.

35K just feels ridiculously, abnormally high for anyone to bother.

New England is around 20 cents per kWh.

35K is not ridiculously high for all electric house with two EVs to "feed"..

Didn't know only bullish posts were allowed here, my bad.

That is not the case. But as I mentioned in an other thread to you, you are not helping by spreading your nitpicking over all threads. You are making this forum worse with all your noise.

If you want to present a bear-case on every small detail over and over again I suggest you make a "Perfect-Logic's Bear-Balance thread" in this investor section and those interested to discuss with you will surely come there to discuss with you.

That is not the case. But as I mentioned in an other thread to you, you are not helping by spreading your nitpicking over all threads. You are making this forum worse with all your noise.

If you want to present a bear-case on every small detail over and over again I suggest you make a "Perfect-Logic's Bear-Balance thread" in this investor section and those interested to discuss with you will surely come there to discuss with you.

My view is fundamentally different than the residential solar zealots I have been discussing with, we pretty much couldn't be further from each other, so it isn't nit picking in the slightest.

It is quite clear that many overly bullish people doesn't like hearing the opposite side of the story, but that doesn't change the fact that it should still be part of the main discussions here for the sake of anyone reading and the bulls themselves actually, being unrealistic in your expectations can make you take on way too much risk. Certainly feels like some here are all in.

My view is fundamentally different than the residential solar zealots I have been having discussing with, we pretty much couldn't be further from each other, so it isn't nit picking in the slightest.

It is quite clear that many overly bullish people doesn't like hearing the opposite side of the story, but that doesn't change the fact that it should still be part of the main discussions here for the sake of anyone reading and the bulls themselves actually, being unrealistic in your expectations can make you take on way too much risk. Certainly feels like some here are all in.

Thank you !
Thank you !!
Thank you !!!
THANK YOU !!!!
Do not know what I'd do without you...

Your arguments are suspect on the face of it. Ascribing yourself perfect logic, while calling others zealots does not help.

Utilities are forced to buy rooftop solar at the retail price of 16c/kwh or 20 or whatever it is in CA and is buying utility scale solar for 4c/kwh, not sure why you would blame utility scale. And fossil fuel prices have come down actually, that is why the rates in other states have flattened out lately with some utilities now lowering rates.

You mean like Arizona, where there is a proposal from our electric service provider (APS) to raise rates by 8%? Now that's what I call a squeeze. Sure glad I installed my 7.4 kWh rooftop solar system 8 years ago. Move over power companies.The future is coming, and it's powered by the sun. You are not going to be on the right side of history.

APS seeks 8 percent rate hike, huge cut in 'solar subsidy'

Reactions: madodel
You mean like Arizona, where there is a proposal from our electric service provider (APS) to raise rates by 8%? Now that's what I call a squeeze. Sure glad I installed my 7.4 kWh rooftop solar system 8 years ago. Move over power companies.The future is coming, and it's powered by the sun. You are not going to be on the right side of history.

APS seeks 8 percent rate hike, huge cut in 'solar subsidy'

I mean like the US average dropping .21 cents / kwh YoY EIA - Electricity Data

I agree the future will be powered by the sun, but using the cheap 3.7c/kwh model and not the 16c/kwh with an escalator model.

Around 15 cents or so.

More importantly a few people that went solar that I know claim that they got a system installed for about 6K to 7K (after tax credits, state rebates, etc) and they claim a payback period of 5 to 7 years.

35K just feels ridiculously, abnormally high for anyone to bother.

Are we talking about solar hot water systems or solar electricity? With those prices of 6 or 7 K, it sounds like the former.

I didn't notice this posted here. Elon tweated this article:
‘Tesla Solar’ Wants to Be the Apple Store for Electricity

This article is very well written. Does a much better job of explaining the deal than Musk did. Good engineer vs good journalist I suppose.

As someone said on twitter in response to Musk's tweet - "That Musk endorses this take is interesting, acknowledging the very steep risks along with huge long-shot reward."

The issue here is that the 'very steep risks' are very easy to see. On the other hand the 'huge long-shot reward' is much harder to see. In fact many of the rewards were thoroughly pitched by SCTY bulls and management since a while, like the grid services stuff. But near term reality has always been something very different. Even the Apple model of selling Solar is ultra-speculative, imaginative stuff as it stands today. None of us have actually seen those aesthetically pleasing Silevo panels. Nor we know if having a store will help with lowering sales costs. Ultimately this boils down to near-term-facts-and-risks vs long-term-faith.

From Bloomberg article Elon retweeted

"By 2020, Tesla is aiming to bring the cost of battery packs down to about $100 per kWh—from an industry average of $1,000 in 20101—according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Joseph Spak. At that price, a Tesla Powerwall battery could cost as little as $640 to make. With an integrated Tesla Solar company, the additional costs of bundling a battery with a $25,000 rooftop solar system would be minimal. At that point, it almost makes sense for Tesla to install batteries as standard with every new solar project."

I hope all the noise PerfectLogic is broadcasting is not stronger than the sound the very nice jump the SP is making at the same time. And that movement is in the shortest possible time.. being Real-Time.

SCTY is also following. So seems the market might thinks the aquisition will happen.

Feels like it belongs in the short-term SP movements thread :)

(but looking at last few pages of posts I am however not so sure I posted this in the short-term SP movements thread).

Last edited:
Are we talking about solar hot water systems or solar electricity? With those prices of 6 or 7 K, it sounds like the former.

It's Solar Electricity. Ironically in Westchester county, I see you are from Brooklyn. It's a small family and probably a small system, I don't know specifics. But I found the 5 to 7 year payback to be an interesting data point nonetheless.

Note that cost is after all rebates.

It's Solar Electricity. Ironically in Westchester county, I see you are from Brooklyn. It's a small family and probably a small system, I don't know specifics. But I found the 5 to 7 year payback to be an interesting data point nonetheless.

Never heard of that low of a price for a solar electricity system for a normal size house thats why i was asking.

Please, if you are replying to one of the trolls, quote their message, so that those of us who are ignoring them don't see your context-less reply either. This behavior is making it hard to read the thread, even when the trolls are ignored.

On-topic: we seem to be starting a minor short squeeze, price increasing with increasing volume...

Status
Not open for further replies.