Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the short squeeze hasn't occured. The action after the reveal was a lot of profit taking, "sell the news", longs reentering and probably some new reservation holders putting some money into TSLA. Plus obviously some short covering and new/increased shorting.

I think when the short squeeze happens, it will be *very* obvious.

Reactions: jhm
I agree the short squeeze hasn't occured. The action after the reveal was a lot of profit taking, "sell the news", longs reentering and probably some new reservation holders putting some money into TSLA. Plus obviously some short covering and new/increased shorting.

I think when the short squeeze happens, it will be *very* obvious.

Short squeeze won't happen until 7/1, when Tesla announces they are cash flow positive the day after quarter close. That, in my eyes, is the only significant news event that would force all shorts to cover. It will then make sense for Elon to announce a raise during Q2 ER or shortly after.

I agree no short squeeze has occurred. I don't see one because of a bigger battery or S refresh either...maybe a bump, but not a squeeze. A squeeze will come when news comes that production date of the model 3 has significantly accelerated or real cash flows positive Q2ER with a beat on deliveries.
This is a momo stick still and you will need something very significant to propel it enough to push out ge shorters.
Remember just because we believe we are smart and get 'it' does not mean some equally smart people are on the short side and think they get 'it'. There are powerful forces that do not want to see TM complete the mission statement.

Has that corporate sales page always been there??

upload_2016-4-12_15-40-49.png

"Adaptive Lighting
Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps. Besides enhancing the already great styling, they also boost safety: 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night, especially on winding roads."

Max price for Model S went from $144,500 to $147,500. Minimum price $71,500.
HEPA filtration, LED turning headlights in premium package.
I think that's the source of the $3,000. To air quality people like me, that incremental cost difference is well worth it. To those uninterested in super clean air, it probably seems extravagant, and only extravagant people would get it.

Max price Model X is $151,750. Minimum price $83,000. Configurator now open to all (for both models S&X). Minimum Model X battery is labeled "75D" but in finer print "70kWh"; probably that will be corrected soon.

The changes in available options makes the distinctions between S & X fewer, and makes it easier to choose between the two and easier on the sales process for both customer and company.​

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: daroon
or designed to allow retrofit.

As a buyer this would be nice. As an investor I know that this is a bad idea... retrofits are rarely a profitable angle. Better to just sell someone on a new car entirely. Yes it is nice to have goodwill toward a customer, but retrofits into infinity is not going to make them money and people will be willing to just suck it up and buy a new car (I did... couldn't help myself... and it was rather painful to eat the loss on selling the old).

AP 2.0 currently looks to at a minimum require 8 cameras, 2 radars (maybe more?), ultrasonics, and whatever hardware "under the hood" to process all that data. This means, new headliners, new windshields, wiring harnesses, possibly rear windshield?/Rear bumper?, Wherever they stick the side cameras has to change (holes in the side of the car?). If retrofitting to AP1.0 was impossible, retrofitting to AP2.0 is going to be even more impossible. And lets just assume for a moment that this is what they put in the cars today, are you really going to try to sell the cars on the "promise" that in 2 years you can get full autonomy but the sensors do nothing today?

AP 1.0 was originally to be released in a "few months" from the show time of it... this became 1 year. It would be a waste of GMs to put all that in the car when it is at least 2 years from actually happening. 2 years is a long time for Mobileye to potentially release another new chip, or to discover that instead of 8 cameras you need 10, or 12, or whatever... and then we are in the same boat where they have to overhaul it all over again, and you will have to buy another new car because where they have to stick this hardware just isn't going to work. You just can't predict at this point what minor changes they will need to make between now and then which would make trying to promise a retrofit a bad idea (because either they stick it through and it costs them a fortune, or they break the promise and everyone jumps all over Tesla for yet another failed promise).

I'm terribly sorry, but I wouldn't hold out for anything crazy on the AP front yet, nor would I hold out for some kind of promise for a retrofit now or in the future. If full autonomy capable hardware is what you are holding out for, I would look toward the 2 year timeline that they gave previously (which should be end of 2017).

Status
Not open for further replies.