Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. The average selling price (ASP) would only rise well above $35,000, if many Model 3 customers voluntarily choose pricey options and willingly pay for them. That would imply strong demand and high profit margins. People more price conscious can still go with a basic $35,000 model.

One must wonder about either the motives or competence of some analysts.
It was a typo in the link. The actual article title said 325,000.

They must have corrected it...

image.png

My guess is that the cancellations will come when the incentives are gone not because they expected the top end model will be available at 35k. Few reservations were made expecting that incentive. If they don't get it they might cancel and go for a car costing 20-25k. JMO

Analysts may be aware of a car model's average selling price (ASP), but a typical car buyer is not. The analyst in question apparently does not realize that. A customer sees the base price and the price of the options in which he might be interested. In the case of a Model 3, even a basic $35,000 model may be a more desirable product that a comparably priced ICE car.

It's also standard auto industry and auto dealer bait and switch practice to advertise the features and specifications of a highly optioned car and state the base price "From only $35K etc". It is no doubt customary auto journalist practice to point out the bait and switch unless of course their outlet is the one earning its keep by running the bait and switch ads.

I think most likely Tesla consumers are typically better informed and I think most consumers of almost any information level are actively tired of such nonsense and the remainder probably hit the pause button to study the fine print and just sigh.

I also think that the traditional industry has gone so far with this that it has become the new normal and that the first one that actually failed to compensate for a baseline level of customer disillusionment and was unilaterally honest about what a consumer gets for the headline amount of money advertised would fear losing out to its competitors - and that fear is probably justified.

Reactions: BobSk
Don't know but, I received a call yesterday from Tesla and was told our X delivery would be delayed approximately 2 weeks as there is a reported concern with the 3 row seats. We were originally scheduled to take delivery 4/8.
Like Elon tweeted/said, he would rather have happy customers than meet quarterly number. In the end its in your favor if your car is immaculate. I understand your sentiment regarding the stock.. but hey.. its the overall macro dragging it down IMHO.

I sold my short term lots and this week's covered call after the numbers broke out. Tempted to do this yesterday but was deterred by the number.

My thoughts on the short term:
While there are still chances for good news breaking out, I doubt anything substantial (solid progress on expanding production) would be released before Q1 ER. The stock has run a great course so far. I would rather see it take a breather for a month. Technically, if we are super strong, we may assume the uptrend after hitting 255. But I think it is more likely to have a 10% off from recent high which points to ~245. Let the shorts regroup, wire money to their account, and refuel the short interest. We need them when we break 300.
I have been cringing on the sidelines and missing all the action since I unloaded my entire TSLA position. This slight consolidation is actually great. I am hoping I am able to get back in ~245.
@All: Any more thoughts leading into ER? Suggestions on re-entry around these levels for the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.