Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in general terms it is absolutely nuts to short a company with a line of customers out of the door for a $100K product and to go through life lying that the company is going to the wall in the hope that some greater fool will believe you.

Yet this is the fascination of politicized TSLA shorts. No doubt there are some smart ones that sell high and cover low but I don't think it's the critical mass. I don't get surprised that often but I have to say I thought it was really important for the stock to hold above $180 to prevent shorts escaping to cover. Not so. To my delight not only on aggregate did they fail to cover at the bottom but the short interest actually rose!

As I understand it, 67% of TSLA is held long by institutions. About 27% is held long personally by Elon Musk (who isn't selling) which leaves about 6% of the float genuinely free floating of which probably 2% is actually held by die-hard buy and hold retail longs leaving about 4% of the stock actually in play and setting the stock price vs 37% or something held short.

When this goes north, which it will, violently, where on Earth is the liquidity to cover going to come from? Even now it is difficult to find shares to short. Technically speaking I suppose a short squeeze involves margin calls and so on that is unlikely to occur much below $240~$250, but in the mean time we have a time bomb ticking away and when it goes off, which it will, the longs will be in a pitched battle with the shorts to BUY shares. The longs to get on the escalator and the shorts to get off.

As far as I am aware there is nothing else like this in the entire stock market. In every other stock both longs and shorts are primarily market savvy investors. In Tesla, no. There is incredible sophistication on the Long side: Musk, GS, MS, Fidelity, DFJ and the list goes on to include a critical mass of Silicon Valley retail tech investor/customers. On the Short side there would appear to be a mob of incredibly unsophisticated players that behave like they are fresh out of a UAW meeting in Detroit after listening to pump pitch from GM's PR department. This is a simple chess game between the disruptors and the disrupted. To make it any more complicated than that is to expend brain cycles needlessly on a solved problem.

@Lump I think it was pointed out the merits of modest scale (and no merit in huge scale in the wrong tech). 10 points to that fellow - but deduct 5 for the stuff about competition. There really isn't any except in the minds of these poor shorties and that leg of the short thesis definitely won't survive the Model 3 unveil. Really, honest to goodness. In fact the short thesis all bar mud slinging has been in tatters ever since Tesla failed to come up short on 2015 unit delivery guidance. GM Bolt, what a joke. There will never be competition from big auto, why that isn't obvious I cannot explain more than to repeat the obvious. It is absolutely impossible to compete with Tesla without first and foremost competing with ICE vehicles and if that is what you need to sell to make any money, you will implode and die well before taking a single sale from Tesla. The first credible competition to Tesla will be from a startup that is not encumbered with ICE making machines, not from an ICE company - and it's highly likely that said competitor would need to source batteries and a bunch of other stuff from Tesla anyway. Anyone that gets this owns the TSLA shorts. Not necessarily within a week hence, but eventually. Guaranteed.

Political Environment and Wild Cards

This belongs in the micro thread, but there is a wider audience here. Nonetheless, the macro environment of politics sometimes is helpful as a guide to investing though it is exaggerated by peoples’ perception of political power during presidential election years. The power to destroy civilization in the northern hemisphere is not to be used except by a lunatic, so conflating the president’s foreign policy powers with influence over the economy is weak when considering Congress, the Courts, the Fed, etc. In a not-so-humble view 2016 is a turning point important as much for political reasons as for Tesla’s future.

From my left-wing democratic political perch a note on Bernie Sanders’ appeal by Thomas Piety published in Le Monde February 14 is interesting. It is also a birds eye summary of why we have got economic inequality today by arguably its foremost authority and the connection to the Sanders phenomenon. Fortunately the leftish Guardian has translated it here:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...homas-piketty-bernie-sanders-us-election-2016

The weakness of the article is he doesn’t talk about Trump’s appeal. From what I have read Both Sanders and Trump appeal to a vision of the future for the “real losers,” today’s undergraduates (better educated, gender and racial agnostics for Sanders) and less-well educated (white males, fearful of “others,” located in the Confederacy, and economically deprived for Trump).

But here is a post from the rightish Washington Times that shows poll data on Sanders and Clinton versus all Republican contenders:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/18/bernie-sanders-better-liked-runs-better-against-re/

I’ve never considered The Washington Times a serious political source because of its origin as a Rev. Moon anti-communist rag but it blew my mind to see a clip of Trump analyzing the disaster of the Iraq war in a summary I would be proud of. (I can’t find it now for your reference.) Of course his purpose is to trash Bush, but….From my perspective Trump is truly a wild card as is Sanders. Michael Bloomberg is certainly qualified to be president and even I might vote for him. That’s why Krugman has suggested his candidacy would ensure a Trump triumph (sorry for the alliteration). This could well be an election like 1960 or 2000 when it might have been decided by a coin toss, or, during Ohio’s caucus in 2016 when it was.

More plausible than TSLA $1,000 by 2020, on the other hand, what if Sanders chooses Elizabeth Warren for his running mate?

Saft is reporting slower than expected uptake of their LiIon for large energy storage. They are even taking a pretty big write down of their production factories.

Saft profit dives as lithium-ion battery take-up disappoints - Yahoo Finance

I doubt the market still sticks to lead-acid. Anyway Tesla already has some nice utility reference projects.

Could it be the market feels it should hold of ordering to wait for Tesla with the (probably significantly) lower prices to have production volume ? Is Saft already feeling Tesla Energy's price pressure and risking customers switching to Tesla ?

I feel there are some hints to that in the article (mentioning price war)

or is the market indeed maturing slower ?

I don't think it's maturing slower, though this could be the calm before the storm. Maybe it is price war instead. The linked article below is a bit wonky, but basically the IRS has clarified the terms with which storage can be part of the tax credits extension that just passed this past Christmas. Looks like another boon for renewable energy production and storage for at least the next 10 years. Combine that with Scalia's missing vote in SCOTUS and I don't think much will slow down that train (with regards to the Clean Power Plan).

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com...-storage-eligible-for-the-30-percent-itc.html

Note the market segment is different. Saft majorly operates in the defense and space industries, not storage.

Saft is reporting slower than expected uptake of their LiIon for large energy storage. They are even taking a pretty big write down of their production factories.

I doubt the market still sticks to lead-acid. Anyway Tesla already has some nice utility reference projects.

Could it be the market feels it should hold of ordering to wait for Tesla with the (probably significantly) lower prices to have production volume ? Is Saft already feeling Tesla Energy's price pressure and risking customers switching to Tesla ?

I feel there are some hints to that in the article (mentioning price war)

or is the market indeed maturing slower ?

I doubt the market still sticks to lead-acid
Tesla Powerwall Imergy | CleanTechnica
cleantechnica said:
Note that I’ve actually left out “competing” lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries in the residential section. Basically, even at a glance, it’s clear that they don’t compete with the Powerwall, so I didn’t bother finding all of the specs and doing the calculations.

There is a very large market for large UPS's (e.g. Data centers). The author worked as a datacenter engineer for Microsoft:
Dedicated rooms to monitor and vent unsafe H2 levels. Acidic fumes that tend to destroy most things in the same room with them. Regular failures by design of a lead-acid cell, realistic shallow cycle capacity of 20-30% of name-plate. In exchange for all these absurd drawbacks and faults of lead-acid, you end up paying a premium over the clean compact and high efficiency Tesla battery.

The Tesla pack costs you less money up front, doesn't require sacrificing a room of your house to acid-fumes, and includes it's own DC/DC converter electronics to enable you to feed it the input from solar cells directly and have it manage itself and supply the voltage bus out directly to your AC inverter (or whatever thing you were wanting to power with it).

Lead's last hold-out function was stationary UPS supplies due to cost. Now with this pack having a lower system cost than lead, it seems the last useful function for lead-acid is boat anchors.
And why I recommended the modern sealed version, AGM or Gel or otherwise, because, well they're sealed and noxious fumes, etc, are not an issue.
Learn about lead acid. Sealed ones are a joke for longevity.

I spent 5 years in the datacenter UPS industry at the MWh scale, with everything deployed in big installations being lead-acid. I can tell you if your definition of "it works" includes repeated random and regular cell failures, never delivering even 50% of the claims with respect to the ability to extract useful energy from them, constant vampire current needs to keep them charged (many 10's of kW 24-7 in big installations), complete replacement after every couple years, and destroying virtually anything they share a room with from acid fumes than yes, "it works."

The industry standard there is 2,000-4,000Ah 2V flooded lead-acid cells, which they pay an extra big premium for to be carefully screened and binned. You tediously measure specific gravity on the electrolyte of all the new cells before and after installation at full charge, you observe the float balance is perfect between the cells in the string, and that you're running them at exactly the mfg's specs for longest service life. You are running them in a temp and humidity controlled room, mounted in stationary racks with minimal vibration. Then, randomly a cell in the string dies of infant mortality (every other cell shows no issues). They pay another few hundred grand to replace everything with all brand new cells (because the cell mfg's don't recommend having different aged cells in a string together), in a year or two, one dies and you start over. Repeat this cycle indefinitely. AFAIK, that is still the current state of the art in lead for UPS backup as I know it from wasting years of my life dabbling in it.

I realize that during the times a lead acid battery isn't being replaced or maintained or cleaned or tested that it does work as a very disappointing and lossy battery that can make a big UPS system work, and that people have been putting up with them for so long that the industry is used to the exceptionally poor performance and keeps buying them. My hope is that this Tesla battery will end the cycle of making throw-away lead batteries that are just waiting to fail by design.

Note the market segment is different. Saft majorly operates in the defense and space industries, not storage.

That was impression initially as well. However :

"Saft said many of its industrial and utility customers were sticking with lead batteries longer than it had expected.."

and their website shows systems up to 50 MW.
http://www.saftbatteries.com/system/files_force/ESS%20_MarketBrochure_%20en_0412_Protected_0.pdf?download=1

My guess is their price is probably to high compared to the 250 / KWh by Tesla Energy.

I have always been confused by the unit used by other battery companies. Why W not Wh?

On a side note, I don't think TE will contribute meaningfully in terms of net profit this year. Still need GF to work out the gross margin. And from last week's CC, I think management is much less confident for the 400-500M sales target. Combined with their track record, I don't think they can achieve that sale figure.

That was impression initially as well. However :

"Saft said many of its industrial and utility customers were sticking with lead batteries longer than it had expected.."

and their website shows systems up to 50 MW.
http://www.saftbatteries.com/system/files_force/ESS%20_MarketBrochure_%20en_0412_Protected_0.pdf?download=1

My guess is their price is probably to high compared to the 250 / KWh by Tesla Energy.

Guaranteed.

Oh man, I hesitate to use the word 'admire', but there's something to be said about your ability to come back here and preach this unchecked optimism with the same passion as when the stock was at $220. As if we are not at $166 and the trip to $140 didn't just happen.

I think you should have realized by now that you are preaching to the choir in terms of the long term promise of Tesla and how the shorts will be destroyed and how there will be no competition. We are just trying to figure out when the market will figure this out and react accordingly and what adverse effects could the macro environment have in the meantime.

I have a few June '16 $400 btw. I was once as certain as you that we would see $400 this year. And we might, who knows...

I have always been confused by the unit used by other battery companies. Why W not Wh?

On a side note, I don't think TE will contribute meaningfully in terms of net profit this year. Still need GF to work out the gross margin. And from last week's CC, I think management is much less confident for the 400-500M sales target. Combined with their track record, I don't think they can achieve that sale figure.

TE doesn't contribute too much net profit... but it will contribute unknown positive value within the overall pricing for TSLA. It's a good way to have demand for battery cells while Model 3 is being developed, as well as a way for Tesla to learn and perfect battery manufacture.

Yeh absolutely. Producing TE gives valuable experience to lower the cost for M3 packs. It might be worth to do even if it has a slight negative net margin.

TE doesn't contribute too much net profit... but it will contribute unknown positive value within the overall pricing for TSLA. It's a good way to have demand for battery cells while Model 3 is being developed, as well as a way for Tesla to learn and perfect battery manufacture.

I feel reasonably certain that Tesla Energy and the entire brilliance of it (for now at least) is inventory and cash flow management with regards to cell inventory. What Tesla Energy represents is a fungible outlet for excess cell inventory and I think they are starting out with plenty after a series of aborted Model X launch dates including a radical change of cell chemistry to get from 85 to 90KWh (the first iteration of the silicon-carbon anode program). This allows the company to rapidly deploy the latest incremental improvements in automotive cell technologies without having to process the last of previous batches through vehicle sales and commit to large and constant order flows with Panasonic without concern for an inventory pile-up. This massively de-risks the EV business of Tesla and they can afford to get themselves positioned in the storage market, landing long term project contracts pending Gigafactory price break-throughs that will see this side of the business truly take off as a commodity supplier that can actually undercut a commodity market for electricity and power regulation services. Not to forget that at the same time, in the background to all this Solar City is bringing its own panel Gigafactory on line.

I feel reasonably certain that Tesla Energy and the entire brilliance of it (for now at least) is inventory and cash flow management with regards to cell inventory. What Tesla Energy represents is a fungible outlet for excess cell inventory and I think they are starting out with plenty after a series of aborted Model X launch dates including a radical change of cell chemistry to get from 85 to 90KWh (the first iteration of the silicon-carbon anode program). This allows the company to rapidly deploy the latest incremental improvements in automotive cell technologies without having to process the last of previous batches through vehicle sales and commit to large and constant order flows with Panasonic without concern for an inventory pile-up. This massively de-risks the EV business of Tesla and they can afford to get themselves positioned in the storage market, landing long term project contracts pending Gigafactory price break-throughs that will see this side of the business truly take off as a commodity supplier that can actually undercut a commodity market for electricity and power regulation services. Not to forget that at the same time, in the background to all this Solar City is bringing its own panel Gigafactory on line.

It's also notable that Tesla can sell batteries to other electric car makers in the future. Maybe keeping the latest and greatest tech for their own premium cars only. The Gigafactory derisks Tesla's automotive manufacturing from batteries very well.

Today's price action has been less volatile than previous sessions. The total volume today was below average, does this indicate some consolidation and price stability?

Well....Everyone has a WAG....If the volume tomorrow is low it does allow for some market manipulation: Here is the latest 'Max Pain' chart....

maxpain

@Lump I think it was pointed out the merits of modest scale (and no merit in huge scale in the wrong tech). 10 points to that fellow - but deduct 5 for the stuff about competition. There really isn't any except in the minds of these poor shorties and that leg of the short thesis definitely won't survive the Model 3 unveil. Really, honest to goodness. In fact the short thesis all bar mud slinging has been in tatters ever since Tesla failed to come up short on 2015 unit delivery guidance. GM Bolt, what a joke. There will never be competition from big auto, why that isn't obvious I cannot explain more than to repeat the obvious. It is absolutely impossible to compete with Tesla without first and foremost competing with ICE vehicles and if that is what you need to sell to make any money, you will implode and die well before taking a single sale from Tesla. The first credible competition to Tesla will be from a startup that is not encumbered with ICE making machines, not from an ICE company - and it's highly likely that said competitor would need to source batteries and a bunch of other stuff from Tesla anyway. Anyone that gets this owns the TSLA shorts. Not necessarily within a week hence, but eventually. Guaranteed.

Not sure what you are referring to or why you are bringing me up & your point deductions are silly.

@Julian, I don't understand why the Bolt has to be knocked down when Elon himself said big auto making more EVs was a good thing. It will not be as good as the Model 3, but that doesn't mean it will not sell or that it doesn't have a place in the market. There are about 9 different midsize sedans for sale in the non luxury segment alone. If everyone only bought the best midsize car available, then one car would sell millions and the other 8 will sell zero. It may not be the best EV ever but it doesn't have to be, because unlike the Silverado, the Bolt is not GM's bread and butter vehicle. The Model 3 will likely be the best EV just for the fact that it will be Tesla's most important product. IMO it is not fair to call the Bolt a joke when it is worlds ahead of every EV in the market except those from Tesla. I am sure you would agree that more EVs need to be bought irrespective of who makes them. What would you recommend a prospective EV owner from say Roanoke VA or Middle-Of-Nowhere NC do when the closest Tesla store is several hours away? Keep burning gas in their ICE till 2022 to see if Tesla will open a store in their town or get their backside in a Bolt by 2017 and stop polluting five years earlier? What would you recommend someone who wasn't aware of the Model 3 until deliveries begin do when the reservations backlog is 700,000 long and it may take 3 years for Tesla to get him/her a Model 3? Get in line and wait 3 years while continuing to pollute or walk into the closest Chevy dealer and drive off in a Bolt?

The Auto market is not a winner takes all game. What you find appealing in the Model 3 may not appeal to someone else. Part of what makes us human is having personal preferences. We were not built on an assembly line to have the same priorities. Jim EV buyer may want autopilot while Joe EV buyer may care more for Apple CarPlay. Michelle cares about supercharging while Diana cares more for a hatch. Leslie wants a well handling sport sedan while Oliver prefers a taller hatch with easier ingress and egress. Mike wants leather, Sunroof and NAV that may only cost $2000 in a Bolt vs may cost $6000 in a Model 3. Jeff wants in car WiFi(free in the Bolt could be a $4000 option or only available in higher trims on the Model 3) so his coworkers can use the web while carpooling. There is a reason cars are available in hundreds of colors and shapes. The best car is not the only car sold. Take the Taurus SHO AWD: More power, more speed, tons of standard features, same size and $30K cheaper for the same options than a 7 series AWD or even a S70D. Would you want S70D buyers to buy a Taurus SHO instead and save $30K?

The Bolt is just a volt with a larger battery and without the ICE, a car many Tesla owners have owned in the past or continue to still own. When you insult it you are also insulting many Tesla owners for their prior automotive choices.

Last edited:
Welcome back Julian,

I started posting purely because I saw faults in your arguments.

The last ER and the Preorders of M3 are all sizzle. They may be great sizzle, but I don't think we should again forget the steak.

I see TSLA hitting lows of 200 three to five years from now.

Any hopes you have of Tesla being over 300 this year are based on them doing everything right (which is your default, but not practical.) If they do not meet, what many have said to be the very optimistic protections, laid out in the last ER, we will dip lower mid year.

I am aware of one is energy one is power. What I don't know is I can't find info on the Wh unit for other battery storage products as they seem to just post W unit.

Different things. W is unit of power, while Wh is unit of capacity i.e. work, or energy, quantity of heat, however you want to express it. Wh is sometimes expressed in Joules(J), or cal, or Kcal, depending on area. Joules is a proper and only SI unit.

When buying you need to look at both. W for what is your peak demand, can battery set deliver it? You can have all capacity in the world, won't help if you don't have enough power to handle peak demand. You look at Wh for how long it can deliver that power. TSLA storage batteries I _think_ deliver about 2xWatts, as Wh. I'm sure they can do more, as in car use that ratio is more like 5-8 for short spikes. Perhaps 2x is steady state run?

I'm sure you can find much more detailed explanation online for W vs. J

MonroeSS

If GM reduce the price of the Bolt to a price where it will compete for business effectively with a similar ICE vehicles that sell in the millions of units I would cry with joy for the future of our children.

Sadly the entire purpose of the Bolt at $37.5K is a cynical attempt to hamper Tesla in the media and to delay the day that hope arrives, nothing more. Hope that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.