Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With apologies to everyone for posting off-topic. I promise it's the last post on this topic from me, but I have to respond to this since it's being repeated.

Austin, you may have directed this at someone else, but in case you were referring to my posts: I resent and reject this characterization.

I admit that in the past I have overestimated tftf's ability to provide much insight. I got less and less interested in his posts over time, on account of his being completely impermeable and incessantly repetitive. But I have no interest in, or record of, defending and feeding the obvious trolls. Today I meta-posted because a valuable contributor (in my opinion) left after a heated argument had spiralled out of control. It could have been seen as a two-person conflict of no real consequence, but I beg to differ. The quality of the board is in everyone's hands. Bulls don't need defending over here. Worse, jesselivenomore wasn't even being a bear. He was disagreeing with another poster, while stating his own view with plenty of qualification. He did get carried away unfortunately, as he admitted, but him leaving in a huff is a loss.

It's easy for the cool kids in the hallway to say "we could do with less drama" and walk away, but I want to make money and I have a direct interest in the quality of information. So please keep this type of attribution to yourself.

Uh, I didn't have you in mind at all. I also support valuable contributions bear and bull. I actually don't have anyone in mind, I am not so smart as to have an idea of who meta-posts a lot, my sense is LOTS of people do including yours truly. I am also not cool. I will stop writing on this because I undermine my own stop-posting-about-posts point each time I do so.

I was so thrilled to see you join to have another actual finance professional here, and am thus significantly sad to see you go. I do hope you keep in touch but I share your frustrations about the deteriorating quality of contributions and analysis in this thread/forum, and fear this board could go the way of Yahoo if we lose every professional investor and analyst to a sea of cheerleaders. So I do hope you will drop in from time to time.

Thanks again.

Re-reading his comment please note that the gentleman concerned is complaining of censure from a site Moderator. Not of being chased out by fellow commentators. Previously I had skip-read over the disgusting and thoroughly dishonest accusation of my "professing to have the ability to control the markets" and the vile ad-hominem: Sociopath, twisted individual, scammed - which is stunningly poor form in the context of stating that he was actually incorrect on the matter of substance (and more emphatically so than I have ever stated myself). "I believe" as in "I believe today it will hold" is beneath the standard of any investing thesis worthy of publication in my opinion. So I would not have banned him for a heated debate, but for this, if this is the true colors of this individual, I would side with the Moderator with out shedding a single tear. Good call. Absolutely.

Guessing the direction of this stock is useless; for the exception of rare cases, you might as well flip a coin on any particular day and follow that trade. I want to remind us that Tesla started its freefall the beginning of January, due to two unforeseen events that played right into the hands of bears--the f*re incident and China capitulating. If there were a bear on this forum who gave us these warnings weeks ahead of time please step forward so we can thank them for that trade..From recollection, I can say with certainty that most bears were either bashing or using misinformation to spread cancerous negativity. Without the two events stated above, the market could have reacted differently.

Also there is a vast difference between this stock plummeting bc of the macros vs. "demand not being there, therefore I'm bearish."

Last edited:
NASDAQ closed exactly at the high of the day. This, combined with oil bounce and the intraday reversal on Wednesday are making me feel bullish on macro for the short / medium term.

We've held $200 well despite extreme volatility and extreme short interest. With 2-3 weeks left until ER, Q1 deliveries and Model 3 reveal to follow, my gut tells me that the storm clouds are parting and there are blue skies ahead. I believe the worst may be behind us and TSLA has lots of room to rally strongly through the spring. I am positioned accordingly.

NASDAQ closed exactly at the high of the day. This, combined with oil bounce and the intraday reversal on Wednesday are making me feel bullish on macro for the short / medium term.

We've held $200 well despite extreme volatility and extreme short interest. With 2-3 weeks left until ER, Q1 deliveries and Model 3 reveal to follow, my gut tells me that the storm clouds are parting and there are blue skies ahead. I believe the worst may be behind us and TSLA has lots of room to rally strongly through the spring. I am positioned accordingly.

I'm with you. I'm holding more shares than ever before, Jan17 calls, Jan18 calls, short Feb16 puts and short Jun16 puts. Shares and calls for long-term gain, Feb16 for earnings and Jun16 for M3. TSLA is close to accounting for 20% of my investments! Short interest is through the roof and we are not far away from what I expect to be quite positive short-term catalysts. I also think the macro situation is way overblown (with some confirmation late this week). You might say I'm slightly bullish.

"I believe" as in "I believe today it will hold" is beneath the standard of any investing thesis worthy of publication in my opinion. So I would not have banned him for a heated debate, but for this, if this is the true colors of this individual, I would side with the Moderator with out shedding a single tear. Good call. Absolutely.

Julian, you have stated several times that you started from principal etc, etc, hence logical conclusion holds.

Firstly, I absolutely agree with your conclusions, believe and hope they will come to fruition. Having said that, certainty in conclusions you exhibit is _absolutely_ unwarranted.

We're dealing here with system too complex to model, describe and compute - whole world creating 10**xx... events every second, possible black swans, the whole of investment and trading community with their hard to read and constantly changing temporal irrationality, emotions that can't be read successfully with sufficient precision ( for the whole world most indicators are US based) etc...

So the only thing we can deal with are probabilities and possibilities. First principle does NOT work on people in all situations.

To say "I believe... " is a lot more constructive than to say "I know..."
Though "I am convinced" should probably serve _you_ well.

I personally have no problem with your certainty, as I take it with grain of salt, just like everything else. However, your continuing claim about first principle has started grating me, and "I believe" your use of first principle to describe investment outcome is incorrect.

Now, if that was Elon stating it, it may be correct, as he is a major player that can effect outcome, so he can react and compensate for unknowns. You and me, we're observers.

Max Pain close- What a surprise!

As many of us suspect, a level of manipulation was used by market makers to keep TSLA close to the 202.5 max pain number at close. The cheapest way to do this on a day when the stock is trading before hours at 204-205 and the broader markets are ready to climb nicely? Nip TSLA in the bud, of course, and make the stock appear to be an underperformer. Day traders jump ship for the day, which helps keep the price down. Nobody really wants to sell because TSLA should climb nicely in a recovering market, and not many want to buy on a day when TSLA is so clearly underperforming the market. Thus, volume stays low and the stock can be manipulated at minimum cost.

If this technique of opening manipulation is used a few more times, however, I think the market will grow wise to it and the technique will then become ineffective. Let's hope that Monday is an up day for the broader markets with no TSLA manipulation, and we should get a chance then to see where TSLA wants to go.

BTW, I did buy a June call on a dip today from my dry powder money, hopefully to be sold in the near future. If market makers are willing to fund a day of discount buying for TSLA stock and calls, I'm willing to take the discount.

Last edited:
In this particular case, the opposite hasn't happened either. No hammer in sight.

I said nothing of the sort, nor was I suggesting it. My comment in context was specifically to dc_h's ...but I fear we will devolve again into Tesla is perfect.

I care to correct misinformation and the like because that's just how I roll. All the rest; who stays, who goes, mud slinging between parties, unicorns in the barn, unicorns running amok, is at best entertaining and at worst white noise. I'm not responsible for what other people do or say. I've got enough on my plate just being responsible for myself so leave me out of the 'we'.

Status
Not open for further replies.