Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jokes aside, is there a tsunami brewing? If so, in which direction? $300+? Or $160-?

I don't think either the bulls or the bears have enough ammunition at this point for such a big move in either direction. Second quarter delivery numbers will be a determinant of direction in the short run, I suspect, unless news comes out first. As for reaching $300, I suspect we'll need the gigafactory reveal on July 29 to make that possible.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
Jokes aside, is there a tsunami brewing? If so, in which direction? $300+? Or $160-?

I wish I were psychic, but I'm betting massively on a big up. I'm the least hedged on TSLA that I've been in sometime. I assume the $215 raise price should act as a strong floor. Take this with a grain of salt as with anything, I can handle taking big losses, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else. :)

I don't think either the bulls or the bears have enough ammunition at this point for such a big move in either direction. Second quarter delivery numbers will be a determinant of direction in the short run, I suspect, unless news comes out first. As for reaching $300, I suspect we'll need the gigafactory reveal on July 29 to make that possible.

Fox, I'm "hoping" for the Giga to provide something of a bump. But this is just my hope, is there something that leads you to believe it might cause us to skyrocket? Elon already announced the factory was at 3x efficiency and the market seems to have shrugged.

• Informative
Fox, I'm "hoping" for the Giga to provide something of a bump. But this is just my hope, is there something that leads you to believe it might cause us to skyrocket? Elon already announced the factory was at 3x efficiency and the market seems to have shrugged.

What about Q2 earnings? It looks like S and X production has picked up significantly. Model X complaints in this forum have almost trickled down to zero. Is market waiting for Q2 confirmation?

3x potential space efficacy, nothing concrete. We know nothing about current Panasonic setup at this point other that their tech is super advanced. I think GF unveiling could be substantial if only to give credence to EM claims.

Reactions: TMSE and Tenable
I believe that the Q2 delivery numbers will be either a substantial boost to SP (75-80% chance ), or a negative.
Depends on exactly what they show and say. The market shrugged because even on this forum we don't understand exactly what the 3x efficiency gains mean, but we know that it's probably important.

Beyond this forum the market shrugged when the under $190 per kWh pack cost was announced with the information that GM is paying $220. Clearly the market is clueless. I personally shrugged that off because I already know that was an upper bound.

From the shareholders meeting and Elon speaking at the Code conference it sounds like some good news is coming at the gigafactory party and/or Q2 earnings. Also, I believe Elon said they may have a "big" event for the Model 3 toward the end of this year.
He didn't say that the event was specifically for the M3.

Last edited:
  • Informative

It's for this reason I wish they would just completely stop making "good news" predictions for 12-18 months. The market is utterly discounting anything management is saying because their promises are getting too far ahead of reality. It might all come true exactly when they say, exactly how they say it but right now the market is giving no value whatsoever. Every promise has become a liability in this climate: "Elon said its 3x, but its 2x, tesla is failing again. Sell!".

Just get to work on doing what you have already promised guys and if you can do way better great, do that. Just be quiet and bring the steak.

Even though you and I know about the stated potential to create 3 X the number of batteries per square foot of gigafactory space, the market is mostly blind or disbelieving to this suggestion, as Vitold eludes. Moreover, most analysts aren't doing much to value Tesla Energy yet, but we know it might eventually be worth more than even the car manufacturing side of the business. The gigafactory holds the potential to both showcase the 3X efficiencies and give a hint as to output plans to TE for the year and beyond. The gigaparty could really change the numbers that analysts use to value TSLA.

Reactions: TMSE and techmaven
I don't understand how someone bought 225 shares for $177.8968 in after hours at 17:09 today. The share price obviously was not in that range during the day, so it's not a late print. I'm sure there was a higher bid out there when those shares were sold, so why wouldn't it sell at least at the bid price?

It's for this reason I wish they would just completely stop making "good news" predictions for 12-18 months. The market is utterly discounting anything management is saying because their promises are getting too far ahead of reality. It might all come true exactly when they say, exactly how they say it but right now the market is giving no value whatsoever. Every promise has become a liability in this climate: "Elon said its 3x, but its 2x, tesla is failing again. Sell!".

Just get to work on doing what you have already promised guys and if you can do way better great, do that. Just be quiet and bring the steak.

Very well said.

Market is going through Elon fatigue or more precisely Elon optimism fatigue or Elon projection fatigue.

There is only one cure to this. Real results.

Following X deliveries it appears that they will barely make delivery/production numbers for Q2. I just hope that Q3 is on a stronger footing and finally the stock will be relieved in Q4 with Q3 results.

I don't understand how someone bought 225 shares for $177.8968 in after hours at 17:09 today. The share price obviously was not in that range during the day, so it's not a late print. I'm sure there was a higher bid out there when those shares were sold, so why wouldn't it sell at least at the bid price?

A few of us are placing crazy out of market bids/asks after hours just in case its real. The theory is there really wasn't a higher bid and someone put in a market order to sell. Maybe all the inventory on one side (bid/ask) is consumed and another order has to be filled...

Looking at the NASDAQ TSLA real-time site, I don't see the sale you're referring to.
Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Real-Time Stock Quote - NASDAQ.com

A few of us are placing crazy out of market bids/asks after hours just in case its real. The theory is there really wasn't a higher bid and someone put in a market order to sell. Maybe all the inventory on one side (bid/ask) is consumed and another order has to be filled...

Yep, I have a sell order in at an undisclosed high price today, just in case.

But we're talking $40 lower (20%) than the going price - I don't see how there wasn't a higher bid than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.