Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Tesla was smart not to say anything in their warranty about battery degradation. Us early owners were a little concerned, but as it turned out, degradation with tesla battery chemistry is minimal.

Agreed. And now Tesla has a mountain of data supporting the quality of their batteries. That's a significant advantage against those who say, "GM published their battery degradation, now Tesla has to do the same."

Reactions: neroden
Seems like Tesla was smart not to say anything in their warranty about battery degradation. Us early owners were a little concerned, but as it turned out, degradation with tesla battery chemistry is minimal.

I should add that I have 78K mi on my tesla. I'm seeing around 5-6% range roll-off. I'm thrilled.

Likewise, we NEVER hear complaints from owners with large degradation. Just doesn't happen. Tesla battery design and chemistry is rock solid

It says that:

a) he changed his mind - yet again - (we can discuss whether that makes him good or bad at his job - I vote bad) or
b) he doesn't actually care about doing his job correctly even if he knows the truth of it all (also bad) or
c) he doesn't actually have a clue and is just pulling stuff out of his ear (still bad)

At this point I don't care what he says. He has no credibility in his career field and can't be trusted.

I am now going with "he pulled a double-agent" and wrote a heavy negative piece to try to start a short squeeze. 180* difference to his 2014 pre-bond announcement. Might work out the same.

One interesting thing is the recent spate of "Tesla self-financing leases" with some customers. I have to wonder now if they will build up a portfolio of these leases and bundle them as a financial instrument with 2-3% bond interest. To Space/X maybe?

I should add that I have 78K mi on my tesla. I'm seeing around 5-6% range roll-off. I'm thrilled.

Likewise, we NEVER hear complaints from owners with large degradation. Just doesn't happen. Tesla battery design and chemistry is rock solid
67k in 3.5 years on mine. Under 4% degradation from the rated range.

Whoa. Was on a flight and just saw the nice pop. I went Thru pages from the peanut gallery here but cannot find a good reason why we are up other than TSLA was technically wayyy oversold. Anything else someone can share with me?

I think it could be mostly macros and that the automotive segment appears to be up similarly.

Whoa. Was on a flight and just saw the nice pop. I went Thru pages from the peanut gallery here but cannot find a good reason why we are up other than TSLA was technically wayyy oversold. Anything else someone can share with me?
Looks like a combination of Nasdaq+dow jones transport rally. TSLA being a high beta stock it will usually amplify macro moves.

Agreed, the"small"amount will never be disclosed, but SG&A will take a hit.
If by "hit" you mean a likely less than 7 figure amount (being very generous here), sure, it's a hit to SG&A. It's probably a 100k settlement unless there's some sort of smoking gun, to pull a number out of thin air. Remember, damages are tied to actual losses. IIRC this is a retail and the losses (if there are any) would be small. These suits exist to enrich the plantiff's lawyers.

Maybe people are overreating to:
GM warns of potential battery degradation of up to 40% for Chevy Bolt EV during warranty period or 100,000 miles

Personally I'm blaming my bank for not getting funds transferred to my trading account until tomorrow. :mad:
Wow just wow! This is a better reason not to mass produce these
I really hope Trump recognizes the important of Tesla's success beyond its environmental benefits. Electric car manufacturing is going to be huge! Hopefully America can keep the momentum going with this administration.

Knowing Trump he'll touch on this and claim victory in few years when Tesla hits 1M annual cars and adds on 20K more manufacturing jobs. What better way to pad his numbers.

Anything to this effect we should see positive SP movements. Who else is thinking the Bots are programmed to trade on these news but not just with TSLA stocks?

....(and we have an actual track record of them replacing batteries resulting from excessive degradation. I believe Elon also did a battery replacement type of guarantee on early Roadsters that came out of his own pocket.

Also, your doomsday scenario seems misplaced and very highly unlikely.

Got any citations for either representation? The replacements I've seen on these forums are not related to degradation.

I did not predict the doomsday scenario, I just explained the consequences if the M3 is late or does not generate sufficient margin. Place your bets.

Reactions: mmd
Got any citations for either representation? The replacements I've seen on these forums are not related to degradation.

I did not predict the doomsday scenario, I just explained the consequences if the M3 is late or does not generate sufficient margin. Place your bets.

Tales from a Tesla Model S at 200k miles

"Then, just as the car hit 200,000 miles, the range estimator became inaccurate. Though the car didn’t actually lose any range, the estimator would say it could go another ten miles—and then power down. Tesla looked into the issue, and told Tesloop that there’s a battery chemistry state that high-mileage cars go into, and the software isn’t properly compensating for that change. There will be a firmware update in three months that will take care of the discrepancy, but Tesla just replaced the battery to solve the problem. “We got our 6% range back with the new battery,” Sonnad said with a laugh. “But had the firmware been updated, we’d be fine and plugging along.”

Here is one hypothesis, complements of Seeking Alpha:

Tesla Motors battles shareholder in Delaware court

Dec. 7, 2016 10:44 AM • SA Editor Clark Schultz

• A shareholder lawsuit against Tesla Motors (TSLA+0.6%) in Delaware is moving into the arguments phase.
  • The judge in the case is expected to rule on a request from the plaintiff for internal Tesla records on customer demand and production issues.
  • Tesla'a attorneys maintain that the relevant documents have already been provided.
  • Though the case isn't considered a significant concern for Tesla by analysts, there is the chance that some internal sales projections and production information could be revealed as part of the discovery.
  • The case is Shahid Haque vs. Tesla Motors in Delaware Chancery Court (original complaint filing).

I'd be shocked if material, forward-looking, previously undisclosed data is produced and makes it into the official record. If I remember correctly, this is the BS lawsuit claiming Tesla lied about past production/sales projections. At best, I think we'd see evidence supporting why Tesla made the projections they made in the past and perhaps why they didn't materialize, which wouldn't be of much use now. e.g., "the reason we projected production of 2k/week is because we reconfigured the line to do X and our tests showed Y output. We missed projections because of a supplier/broken machinery/whatever."

If there even is a legal opinion on this eventually (very unlikely), the judge probably will likely not get into this nitty gritty detail in any event.

From what I know. This is going NOWHERE.

Keep in mind that these nominations must be approved by the Senate when it convenes in the new year. Republicans will have a slim majority. A number of those Republicans are supportive of environmental protection and never jumped on the Trump bandwagon. Filibuster is still available to Democratic senators.

The filibuster is no longer available for cabinet level appointments. Only Supreme Court appointments.

Rule Change Pushed By Harry Reid Could Allow Trump To Get All Of His Appointments Confirmed

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark and steve3
Anybody care to comment on the SP?
Wrong thread mate, this is the general discusss... er.... oh yeah.

Very nice climb today. Confidently broke $193 towards the end. I think it's some sort of Trump-related effect, coupled with increasing confidence over Q4-and-year results, though hard to say exactly what yet. If the lack of specific news continues tomorrow, I expect it to fall a bit.

I have 80,000 miles on my car in less than 3 years, and it shows 254 miles, which is 96% of the original 265.

Status
Not open for further replies.