Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add, in order to facilitate recall of about 22M shares about 42% of all retail shareholders of TSLA will need to sell their shares. Calamity of biblical proportions indeed.
Exodus.jpg

With regard to shorts covering, in theory a 100 shares could facilitate the squeeze if there is a steady supply of shorters at ever rising price.

Short A covers and returns the shares to the pot, shorter B loans them and sells to shorter C who is buying to cover and returns them to the pot. Repeat as long as you need ;) shorts cover, but net short interest remains the same.

Now if the recalls force the squeeze, then the float available will just not be there as the shares aren't returned for lending, that would be a major spike, in fact I don't know what the procedure is if there are no shares to be bought because there are no sellers, but the shares are requested back nevertheless and the shorter needs to cover. A price spike that could go in multiples is not impossible if the order book is cleared, no clue what the algos would do...

And a recall of some 20M shares would clear the order book quickly and early... Then again, who wouldn't want to sell TSLA at 600$ today? ;)

With regard to shorts covering, in theory a 100 shares could facilitate the squeeze if there is a steady supply of shorters at ever rising price.

Short A covers and returns the shares to the pot, shorter B loans them and sells to shorter C who is buying to cover and returns them to the pot. Repeat as long as you need ;) shorts cover, but net short interest remains the same.

Now if the recalls force the squeeze, then the float available will just not be there as the shares aren't returned for lending, that would be a major spike, in fact I don't know what the procedure is if there are no shares to be bought because there are no sellers, but the shares are requested back nevertheless and the shorter needs to cover. A price spike that could go in multiples is not impossible if the order book is cleared, no clue what the algos would do...

And a recall of some 20M shares would clear the order book quickly and early... Then again, who wouldn't want to sell TSLA at 600$ today? ;)

Even before considering the squeeze, this would not work if the shares returned to the "pot" are recalled by the institutional shareholders and are not available for lending because of this.

Last edited:
I would like to add another perspective on the short-selling / price action we are seeing these days: what if the "0 available shares for shorting" is less a function of institutional investors recalling their shares and more driven by shorts desperately trying to gain votes? (i.e. making them longs in a way).
In order to borrow for purposes *other* than shorting, you have to have a personal relationship with the broker. It can't be done through automated systems or by calling your broker at retail. It can basically only be done by institutional investors or fund managers.

It is possible that this is happening, that someone is borrowing huge numbers of shares and paying high interest rates in order to vote the merger down. We might be able to identify this if the number of shares shorted stayed constant or dropped while the borrowing rates went up and up.

Keep an eye on this. If number of shares shorted *drops* while the interest rate to borrow goes way up, that might mean that borrowing is being done for a reason other than shorting. However, it could also just be due to shares being recalled for voting, which has essentially the same effect as shares being borrowed for voting.

[edited with second thoughts]

Then I found a WSJ article that loaning shares during important votes is a "cheap" way swing the outcome their way.

Now if you look how bitter, loud, and full of rage some of the reactions to the SCTY merger announcements were, could it be that at this time there is general rush for votes going on?
It could be, but it's equally likely that the Fidelity fund manager who is *ultra-bullish* on the merger is trying to make sure it happens and borrowing shares for that reason!

Reactions: SebastianR
That's not true about cash vs. margin at Schwab. I did receive the offer to loan my TSLA shares from Schwab last week even though they're a holding in my margin account. (I'm not using my margin though,
Sorry I didn't clarify. That's the key point. It's not whether the account has margin enabled, it's whether you're actually using it. If you actually *use* the margin, then they may be able to borrow your shares for free (...up to 1.5x the size of the margin loan, IIRC, though don't quote me on that, I didn't pay attention). I also have a margin account (mostly so I can trade options) and never use the margin.

IB TSLA shorting rates continue to confuse me:

Up to 45% fee to short now, but 267k shares available to short! Shares available more than doubled but the fee rate went up 10%. Does not compute.
No, no, look at it the other way. They raised the rates by 10%, so then they raised the rates they're paying to lenders by 10% (keeping the same profit margin), and that attracted more lenders, making more shares available.

Ah, Panasonic's Automotive and Industrial Company, Energy Division sells a lot of cells and batteries to major automakers and not just lithium ion. Tesla is less than 50% of their business.

The total rechargeable battery automotive unit did 352.8B yen turnover, so the $180B yen turnover from the article is already trimmed down to (what makes the most sense to me but I am wholly unsure of) their lithium ion battery production only. It's really unclear to me so any links to sources you have on what exactly they deliver as part of their automotive battery division would really be appreciated.

Lots of interesting speculation about the shares short :) I explain my understanding in a diagram below to sort out some confusions many are having. Please tell me if you see any mistake. Thanks in advance.

For Tesla: 147 M outstanding shares, say 28 M sold short. So, there really are 175 M longs. So, if we include all the longs, market cap for Tesla is really $38 B.

Question: Does anyone know if the reported institutional holdings include shares lent out to others? If yes, then adding up all the numbers can be more than 147 M. Is that correct?

long_short_diagram.jpg

(Regarding Tesla leases)

Yeah, but they still get the cash upfront and the banks still take the default risk. From a *cash flow* point of view, the residual value risk is an issue for 3-5 years down the road, once Model 3 is selling like hotcakes... so it's not a *financing* risk.

We were estimating EPS, not cash flow, so financing does matter because it impacts when and how Tesla recognizes revenue.

Soooooo, the real question becomes: at what price will the longs start selling? The shorting levels seem wildly unsustainable and there will have to be a short-covering rally. Now, this can only happen if longs sell; otherwise, it's a genuine short squeeze, and every transaction leaves someone holding the hot potato trying to cover their short position. So when do the actual longs sell?

-- if the price rises to the level where they want to take profits -- this seems very likely
-- if the price drops and they bought on margin and get a margin call (this is what the shorts would hope for)
-- if they sold out-of-the-money covered calls which trigger during the rally -- this actually seems fairly likely too
-- if the price goes so high on such low volume that Tesla offers a secondary public offering to meet demand for shares. :) (In this case, Tesla itself would be the long who was selling.) I wouldn't rule this out though it seems fanciful.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
We were estimating EPS, not cash flow, so financing does matter because it impacts when and how Tesla recognizes revenue.
Oh, we were? Right.:oops: I've been obsessing about cash flow financing because it's the main issue with the SCTY merger. The residual value guarantee is a back-end cost, so it didn't figure into my financing thinking.

You're right that it should reduce EPS somewhat. Probably not significant in the long run, since I suspect Tesla has solid estimates for the residual value which will be accurate on average.

The total rechargeable battery automotive unit did 352.8B yen turnover, so the $180B yen turnover from the article is already trimmed down to (what makes the most sense to me but I am wholly unsure of) their lithium ion battery production only. It's really unclear to me so any links to sources you have on what exactly they deliver as part of their automotive battery division would really be appreciated.
Honda and Toyota (Prius) still use mostly NiMH in their Hybrids (believe it or not):
2015 Toyota Prius - Quick-Take Review
We have reported previously that the Prius will have more power (up to 150 horsepower) and will continue to offer a four-cylinder-engine/CVT combo as its primary source of propulsion, with the nickel-metal-hydride (base) and lithium-ion (upgrade) battery packs providing energy storage. All-wheel drive may be a possibility as well, but none of that is confirmed at this point.

3.5 million sold, watch your back, M3 is coming to get you!
The Toyota Prius has long been a polarizing, slow, un-fun instrument of soul-sucking, reputation-ruining, appliance-grade fuel efficiency. And its perpetual nerdiness has made it the whipping boy of the car-enthusiast community. But like it or not, with 3.5 million sold to date around the globe and deity status in California and other green municipalities like Ann Arbor, the Prius is one of the most important automobiles in history. That makes the release of the all-new 2016 model A Very Big Deal.

From another site starting in 2016 lithium is an option:
Toyota either installs a lithium-ion or a nickel-metal hydride battery pack into the new Prius, with their specs being basically the same, offering the same performance and with the same benefits on the fuel economy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.