Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The significance of Kuaui for the rest of the nation is this is a direct replacement for peaker plants. I think the spin up to get this energy on the grid when requested is 1-3 minutes at a significantly cheaper long term price compared to the nat gas plants that are being proposed to be built by many states right now. Instead of years of development and implementation, Solarcity can build that capacity in similar markets in months. As costs come down new markets open up globally as to literally eliminate any rational need for future nat gas peakers to be plan and developed. Remember, commissions make 20 year development decisions and if Solarcity is able to develop that capacity cheaper, cleaner, and at a much more advance demand response capability, then they start to see how they can sustain themselves on existing capacity until pricing makes sense (in current non competitive markets that Solarcity is not already in)

This also applies to aggregation of rooftop solar. If Solarcity can aggregation a few MWs of firm demand response for PG&E you're talking a significantly cheaper option to developing a new nat gas peaker plant to do the same thing.

I'd liken Kauai to Ivanpah, CA. What they're doing with molten salt, heated by solar, serves the same timing difference Solar City is trying to solve. As to cost, nothing beats natural gas once CO2 regs are complied with. You can only make those regs more difficult, with 100% RPS requirements, etc.
A Tower of Molten Salt Will Deliver Solar Power After Sunset
I believe that project's cost was to be 2.2bb, resulting in 340MW output (from full sun). That’s $6.50 per watt, or $13, if we nix 12 hours of the day off. The Kauai project, if 40 million, for 13MW, would be a better ~$3, but nowhere near an NG peaker, at closer to a buck, before (cheap) fuel costs.

I don't see a better reason than this just based on the timings. Elon doesn't like to see any of his companies fail. Tesla is bailing out scty at the expense of the shareholders.

If the large shareholders who will be voting think so, they'll likely not let the deal go through. If the deal is let through, smart money is thinking long term and this could all turn out quite well in due time.

Lazard pegs NG peakers at LCOE of $165 - $218 / MWh assuming a NG price of $3.50/MMBtu (which is a fair assumption). At $2.43 NG their low-end price is $155/MWh.
Kauai is contracted at $145 / MWh. In short, yes, it is cheaper than building a new peaker.

You're comparing a unit cost (MWh), to a cost to build. You can't build PV battery projects close to the cost of NG. NG is closer to 3 cents kwh's all-in ($30/MWh), assuming your plant hasn't paid down. Nobody is getting paid back, in wholesale power, whose project needs $145MWh to recover.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Okay so to summarize: does anyone here seriously believe that Tesla is making an offer knowing full well that SCTY is in dare short to medium term financial trouble? That seems to be the linchpin of the argument.

Yes

Check Cash & Equivalents from SCTY balance sheets for past few quarters to assess the trend. Check the recent financing deals and cash flows. Put the puzzle together. You tell me what Cash & Eqiv will be for Q2.

Then also tells us what you think will happen when various financing and business partners see that number in broad day light.

Reactions: X Yes? and neroden
Ok. After thinking about this deal overnight I think I'm warming up to it.

The main issue for me is Solar City's cash flow. If Solar City is actually free cash flow positive in the next 3-6 months as Mr. Musk said in the conf call, it will be ok. The danger is that Solar City is a drag on Tesla's cash. If Solar City is actually making money everything else is kind of moot. It won't put Tesla's Model 3 ramp at risk. Don't know if this will actually happen because I can't make sense of Solar City's financials. Sounds like Solar City's Silevo tech is pretty strong as well.

How does this help Tesla?
PowerWall kinda sucks without Solar. It is a weak product unless you have Solar, then it is pretty sweet. To have to rely on an outside partnership to make your product effective is an undesirable position to be in. This deal will help Tesla with residential energy storage part of it's business.

Help in the growing dealership fight would also be welcome, and this deal might provide that.

Solar City is undoubtedly stronger under Tesla.

One of my big problems with Solar City is their high sales/customer acquisition costs. Walk in foot traffic at Tesla stores will help lower their sales costs. Lower sales costs and Solar City's financial situation improves tremendously.

Solar is a stronger product with PowerWall, and less vulnerable to net metering and utility shenanigans.

Negatives about Solar City:
-Solar City's advertising is terrible (the sun god Ra ads were a good example of WTF!? Their twitter account is bizarre too) -- their advertising reminds of me of GM trying to sell the Volt. They have no idea how to sell their (good) product or how to speak to their customers. Tesla excels in this area. I hope Solar City doesn't dilute Tesla's excellence in this area.

-Solar City's sales tactics are basically the opposite of Tesla. They are pushy, and feel deceptive. Reminds me of car dealerships. This will have to change, or it will damage one of the shining points of Tesla.

If that's your main criticism, I suggest sticking to solitaire. Cost, reliability, ease of use, and communication are the main differentiators between Solar companies. SolarCity is the gold standard for all of these. Unfortunately, most people don't have going solar at the top of their priorities. That's why SolarCity advertises. You think the Ra ads are pushy? Have you seen the ratings for them on YouTube. People enjoy them and the Ra campaign has gone viral.

SolarCity is the least pushiest of all Solar companies. Green Mountain Solar and some random no-name companies that keep calling me are pushy. SolarCity reaches out to those who express interest and follows up with people on a reasonable basis. If you've run into one or more excessively pushy SolarCity reps, I'd suggest you tell SolarCity about those people.

SolarCity lowers people's energy bills with a product that is guaranteed to work as promised, and is a very well run and managed company. For most people, these are the main things that matter.

I'd liken Kauai to Ivanpah, CA. What they're doing with molten salt, heated by solar, serves the same timing difference Solar City is trying to solve. As to cost, nothing beats natural gas once CO2 regs are complied with. You can only make those regs more difficult, with 100% RPS requirements, etc.
A Tower of Molten Salt Will Deliver Solar Power After Sunset
I believe that project's cost was to be 2.2bb, resulting in 340MW output (from full sun). That’s $6.50 per watt, or $13, if we nix 12 hours of the day off. The Kauai project, if 40 million, for 13MW, would be a better ~$3, but nowhere near an NG peaker, at closer to a buck, before (cheap) fuel costs.
This is nothing like ivanpah in my opinion. Solarcity's Kuaui product is more like a nat gas peaker plant for demand response then a centralized utility power plant off in the desert.

Solarcity's product has immediate dispatchable capabilities which can not be duplicated with nat gas peakers, just not technically/physically possible. Also they can built this product in months as opposed to years for nat gas peaker. In addition , fuel costs are zero, which makes all cost come down to technology cost reduction with scale and innovation that fossil fuel sourced tech can't duplicate either. If we take out all corporate subsidization of fossil fuel industry and utility industry as well as solar, right now, today Solarcity would be massively cheaper then any nat gas peaker, in addition to pollution/environmental costs avoided. Imagine what is going to happen as Solarcity product continues to reduce costs to best out nat gas with all the fossil fuel corporate subsides... Societal tax savings could skyrocket as well down the line which becomes a major sellin point for society at large for this tesla/Solarcity technology.

But more immediately, Solarcity's product spins up and down in the fraction of the time of nat gas and others, is faster to develop and implement, significantly reduces societal/environmental costs compared to nat gas peaker, and can be scaled up and down to any size and be place anywhere it is required, and this is a nod to rooftop solar and its flexibility to aggregate these systems to act as a peaker plant for nearly any capacity requirement required. It is why Elon says this technology has infinite scaling ability which is not afforded by nat gas or other fossil fuel based technologies.

Reactions: DrJohnM
We're taking the slide down right now. No shares available to short at IB btw. Probably safe to say short interest has ramped up. Traders piling on? SeekingAlpha is having a field day with Tesla today.

Alright, SCTY likely won't be a price moving catalyst for a little bit. Our next catalyst is earnings. Toss up. I am really hoping Tesla is able to produce 100-200k Model 3's during the 2nd half of next year. My LEAP's basically depend on it.

Want to go to $180?? DO IT. See what happens.

Indeed.

At this point, even if they have spectacular news on delivery numbers, how much would that even bump the SP? Back to 215?

That's what I'm thinking.. what meaningful catalysts do we really have? Meeting this year's guidance? A gigafactory party? Most meaningful catalyst I can think of is next year with Model 3 prep and production.

Last edited:
You're comparing a unit cost (MWh), to a cost to build. You can't build PV battery projects close to the cost of NG. NG is closer to 3 cents kwh's all-in ($30/MWh), assuming your plant hasn't paid down. Nobody is getting paid back, in wholesale power, whose project needs $145MWh to recover.
Now you're comparing Kauai to an *existing* peaker, which is an entirely different scenario from comparing it to a *new* peaker. Yes, battery installs are not going to replace *existing* paid-off peakers. They will eliminate the market for *new* peakers.

(Question how large the market for new peakers will be. I haven't actually sat down and analyzed this. My first instinct is "electricity demand is dropping, so the demand for new peakers will be low". But my second instinct is "electricity demand is getting more peaky, so the demand for new peakers will be high". Have to look into this more carefully!)

Last edited:
Yes

Check Cash & Equivalents from SCTY balance sheets for past few quarters to assess the trend. Check the recent financing deals and cash flows. Put the puzzle together. You tell me what Cash & Eqiv will be for Q2.

Then also tells us what you think will happen when various financing and business partners see that number in broad day light.

cash + 360m
cash flow -30M

what's wrong?

Reactions: rallykeeper
Try looking at this as a need to develop a peaker plant to meet demand response requirements and then do the cost projections... How's this compare in market for other demand response technologies in order to integrate this capability onto the grid?

Compare how many times a peaker is actually used as well... What is the cost to develop and implement a peaker plant that spins up and down no more then 6-8 times a year?

Last edited:
Seriously. All of you people are loco. I haven't seen people posting this frequently about something they clearly don't understand in over a year. So many on here who clearly don't understand SolarCity or the type of arrangement Tesla is proposing. Chanos is wrong and clearly doesn't understand SolarCity's business model. Apparently most of the people on here are rehashing the same nonsense being reported by people who also don't understand SolarCity's business model.

The majority of SolarCity's sharers are owned by around 5 parties. All of these parties are long and have no intention of selling. What do you people not understand about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.