Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you on the $60K subject. We want $35K to be the number that the general public associates with the Model 3, not $60K! So, as a TSLA bull, Adam Jonas is sort of working against himself by asserting that the average selling price will be far above $35K. If he was trying to say that the profit margin is going to be excellent on the Model 3, he could have emphasized that a great many buyers will likely add something like $20K in options, without actually naming his anticipated ASP.

Thankfully, the Model 3 unveiling is coming soon enough (in March), and if Tesla is smart, they'll be putting that $35K base price front and center. Even if that $35K stripper has to be a loss leader and they only ship it in very limited numbers.

It's not even a question of being smart. It's just standard practice. It will be Model 3 Starts at*... just how BMW, MB, Toyota, etc. all manufacturers do it. Base Price + Options-- except with Tesla what you see is what you get because there's no dealer pre-ordered inventory that forces options on you. Nor is there a stupid requirement of... in order to get park sensors, I must get this package. In order to get these wheels I need to get this package... you get the deal.

It's not even a question of being smart. It's just standard practice. It will be Model 3 Starts at*... just how BMW, MB, Toyota, etc. all manufacturers do it. Base Price + Options-- except with Tesla what you see is what you get because there's no dealer pre-ordered inventory that forces options on you. Nor is there a stupid requirement of... in order to get park sensors, I must get this package. In order to get these wheels I need to get this package... you get the deal.

Except the packaging part is not quite true. I would have bought the power hatch, but it only came packaged with the luxury interior lighting or whatever, at a ridiculous price. So I open my trunk myself (and put in some LEDs in the trunk for ~$80). At least we go free of noxious car dealers.

Once 2017 hits and we have 3 different EVs around the same range for around the same price, I think Tesla won't even need to worry about the "higher end" sales of the M3. All they need to do is compare the degradation of the battery pack to the other two. Unless LG has figured out how Tesla gets the best degradation percentage, the Tesla sales team won't have a problem. A new customer looking at an EV will want to understand how long the battery lasts, and so you really don't have to up-sale all the different features on the car....it's just a bonus in my opinion. But maybe that's a silly way a looking at it.....

Once 2017 hits and we have 3 different EVs around the same range for around the same price, I think Tesla won't even need to worry about the "higher end" sales of the M3. All they need to do is compare the degradation of the battery pack to the other two. Unless LG has figured out how Tesla gets the best degradation percentage, the Tesla sales team won't have a problem. A new customer looking at an EV will want to understand how long the battery lasts, and so you really don't have to up-sale all the different features on the car....it's just a bonus in my opinion. But maybe that's a silly way a looking at it.....

Why do you presume competitors will have battery problems?

Yeah, would be ideal for tesla to give an MX production update during this meeting
Why? They just did that a few days ago. They're 'very confident", not absolutely sure, that they're going to produce several hundred per week by the end of December. I'm sure that as soon as they are 100% sure of a date they will let Bonnie know.

bottomline, TSLA needs evidence that MX sig deliveries are coming.
At this point they need some actual deliveries and evidence that they're ramping production. When they start deliveries and start producing 600-800 per week the SP will rise, hopefully before my M16 options expire. That could happen later today or sometime in Q1 2016.

Last edited:
Thankfully, the Model 3 unveiling is coming soon enough (in March), and if Tesla is smart, they'll be putting that $35K base price front and center. Even if that $35K stripper has to be a loss leader and they only ship it in very limited numbers.

It won't matter. Tesla put the base price of the Model S front and center, and all the bears call it a $120K+ car, yet people still manage to buy lower priced versions. Other than some misguided negative press from certain sources it's just not going to matter. The Model 3 is going to be sold out for years in advance until production rates hit full steam.

Why? They just did that a few days ago. They're 'very confident", not absolutely sure, that they're going to produce several hundred per week by the end of December. I'm sure that as soon as they are 100% sure of a date they will let Bonnie know

Yes, I understand the ramp schedule is production ramps in late Q4 (aka December)

But did you see that Adam Jonas said yesterday to expect lower MX deliveries? This only a week after Tesla's guidance and ER.

TSLA is off nearly 10% this week. Part macro and part uncertainty. Tesla can at least address the uncertainty - they aren't in quiet period.

Any datapoint would help; a tweet, DS delivery updates, etc

Except the packaging part is not quite true. I would have bought the power hatch, but it only came packaged with the luxury interior lighting or whatever, at a ridiculous price. So I open my trunk myself (and put in some LEDs in the trunk for ~$80). At least we go free of noxious car dealers.

The luxury package gives you quite a lot though for the price IMO. It isn't just the lights and power hatch I also don't consider those essential options. What I'm more referring to is going to BMW's site and configuring a car and you'd be thoroughly surprised.

Yes, I understand the ramp schedule is production ramps in late Q4 (aka December)

But did you see that Adam Jonas said yesterday to expect lower MX deliveries? This only a week after Tesla's guidance and ER.

TSLA is off nearly 10% this week. Part macro and part uncertainty. Tesla can at least address the uncertainty - they aren't in quiet period.

Elon has said that he doesn't chase the stock price, and it seems he sticks to that. There'll be tweets or updates when there's something interesting to say, and not before, I'm afraid. My guess is that the next tweet will be some milestone reached in Autopilot driving, like 10 million miles or something. I don't know when that might happen though.

Nissan has had them until 2015 LEAF model and the BOLT is a new product so it's basically a test for a few years to see what it will do in real world conditions.

The Leaf doesn't currently use LG Chem batteries, and they have had some issues.

The Volt uses LG Chem batteries and they have been excellent. I have no doubt that GM will produce a reliable pack.

IMO a strong warranty is more important for sales than a strong track record.

I believe that if the Bolt is as good overall as the M3 (which is possible but unlikely) that they will both sell extremely well. In other words I don't believe that the Bolt and the Leaf pose any possible threat to M3 sales.

The points I'm trying to make are that they can't address the uncertainty while they are still uncertain.

I also think at this point talking about it isn't going to help very much unless they can make definitive statements. I don't believe that statements like "we believ" or "we are planning" are really going to cut it.

Last edited:
I think the Bolt will sell very well initially, because the Model3 will have a long waiting list, so impatient people who want a 200 mile EV will buy the Bolt. However, after a year or so later, when Tesla production ramps up enough to get the wait-time down to be measured in weeks rather than months, is the time where the pressure from Model3 will be really felt on the competition. IMHO, that will not happen before 2019. I am counting on Model3 release early 2018 (even if they deliver a few founder-series at the end of 2017 that does not make much difference), and then a good year of production ramp-up to catch up with the massive demand.

Which gives the Bolt about 2 years if they release that early 2017.

The Leaf doesn't currently use LG Chem batteries, and they have had some issues.

The Volt uses LG Chem batteries and they have been excellent. I have no doubt that GM will produce a reliable pack.

Of course, each new battery chemistry will have to be evaluated by itself. The battery chemistry in the original Volt are distinctly different than the ones going into the Bolt. Further, the original Volt had a very large set-aside of unused capacity that they cannot afford to do in the Bolt if they want to get over 200 miles of EPA range. Also, the details are sketchy on the thermal management system used in the Bolt which can have a significant impact on battery life. We will see.

If the ASP of the Model 3 is $60,000, it will still be very affordable in many countries. In many countries a vehicle priced anywhere close to $60,000 that is anything like a Tesla costs far in excess of $100,000. Electric Vehicles are exempt from the environment tax that in many cases equals the price of a new vehicle. Also, it will qualify for a variety of tax incentives that exist at the state level, that in some cases exceed the $7500 federal tax credit.

REMINDER : The average price of a new vehicle in China is $50,000, and doesn't include the cost to register the vehicle and obtain a license plate.

Tesla put the base price of the Model S front and center, and all the bears call it a $120K+ car, yet people still manage to buy lower priced versions. Other than some misguided negative press from certain sources it's just not going to matter. The Model 3 is going to be sold out for years in advance until production rates hit full steam.
Bears will be bears, and clearly an S-70 can be purchased for about $63K after incentives. However, different signals came from the much more recent launch of the Model X and the lack of a concrete price for the base trim level. I hope this is recognized at Tesla Motors as a mistake, one that likely caused some damage to both public perception and the share price. Judging by Elon's damage control on Twitter, asserting that Model X prices will be about $5K more than comparably equipped Model X cars, I think there is some recognition at TM. However, this came a bit late, and "$5K more" doesn't seem as concrete as an actual price. So I hope that TM religiously and very publicly sticks to the $35,000-$39,999 range for the Model 3 base price. In the US, that will be perceived as much more mainstream than $40K or more.

If the Q3 Report and CC didn't address uncertainty, I doubt that tweets would have much effect. The only thing we can do as far as delivery updates is to watch the Model X sub-forum.

Elon has said that he doesn't chase the stock price, and it seems he sticks to that. There'll be tweets or updates when there's something interesting to say, and not before, I'm afraid. My guess is that the next tweet will be some milestone reached in Autopilot driving, like 10 million miles or something. I don't know when that might happen though.

This.

I'm looking at "Appendix 3" in Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk. It's an email from Elon Musk to everyone at SpaceX, on the subject of "Going Public". In this email, Elon states that his experiences going public with Tesla and SolarCity were very negative, and that he wouldn't want to "foist" this major inconvenience on SpaceX. He further explains that stock prices are highly volatile and "manic depressive", often for economic reasons outside of the company.

It doesn't end there. Elon outlines many other pitfalls of going public, including scrutiny for insider trading (citing an unnamed Tesla employee who came under Grand Jury investigation despite doing nothing wrong), annoying shareholder derivative lawsuits from blood-sucking plaintiff's lawyers for any drop in share price, institutional demands for short-term profits, and scrutiny for every real and imagined problem with the company.

It's abundantly clear from the tone of Elon's email to SpaceX employees that he hates all aspects of being "publicly traded". The only reason Tesla went public was because the company needed the investment dollars. It was a last resort.

The key takeaway is this: Do not count on Elon to tweet or say anything just for the sake of keeping the stock price at a level we might like, which from my sense is $250 or higher.

Is this Model X number 40 in the factory in Fremont?
2015-11-11-ModelXFremont.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.