Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't look to Tesla Motors Twitter account for any info for a bit...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 348
This is embarrassing for Tesla IT. Website hacked too. I'd say the stock could tank on Monday. The cars are heavily IT and software dependent, online 24/7. This is not good at all. What if they got in the car control service servers? What if they got all our credentials? Not good...

Whether it's social engineering or good old hacking it's going to be a PR nightmare.

I know some of you think I'm exaggerating but think about it... What if Google front page was hacked? Or Microsoft's official Twitter account? It's that bad.

The prices for the CPO program are very reasonable. In fact, the markup from the trade in price is only 6%. I don't know how I feel about that as an investor. Between the extended warranty and the costs related to the inspection and sale they are barely breaking even on the whole thing.

BTW, there are currently 180 cars listed for sale.

I wonder if the strategy here is not to make CPO sales a profit center. Rather it is a service to owners. It preserves resale value and makes it much more economical to upgrade to a new car.

This also makes it harder on dealers. If a dealer expects to get a 25% markup on taking a Tesla as a trade in, they will lose. Tesla owners will get a much better trade in value from Tesla. So this will encourage brand loyalty.

Last edited:
If this happened during trading hours it would be the tradable event of 2015 so far. I'd have bought boatload of weekly puts without blinking. Luckily now Tesla has the weekend to regroup and try to handle the whole thing.

Obviously the kids who did this are not old enough to understand stock/options trading :)

If this happened during trading hours it would be the tradable event of 2015 so far. I'd have bought boatload of weekly puts without blinking. Luckily now Tesla has the weekend to regroup and try to handle the whole thing.

Obviously the kids who did this are not old enough to understand stock/options trading :)

That makes two of us. My phone was going nuts because I get Elon and tesla notifications when they tweet. It might still be tradable will have to watch the premarket Monday am.

This is embarrassing for Tesla IT. Website hacked too. I'd say the stock could tank on Monday. The cars are heavily IT and software dependent, online 24/7. This is not good at all. What if they got in the car control service servers? What if they got all our credentials? Not good...

Whether it's social engineering or good old hacking it's going to be a PR nightmare.

I know some of you think I'm exaggerating but think about it... What if Google front page was hacked? Or Microsoft's official Twitter account? It's that bad.

My guess is a slight dip is possible on fear. Since vehicle operation doesn't appear to have been affected, I'm not sure this is a huge concern. Speculation in the news subforum here is that this was a DNS hack and likely something outside of Tesla's control. link: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46446-Tesla-motors-website-just-been-hacked/page5

As my edit shows, Tesla's website and servers never got compromised. What got compromised were DNS servers, which Tesla uses Network Solutions for. The attackers made the teslamotors.com domain point to 188.226.230.145, a server in Russia.

A DNS hijacking is very hard to defend against (and technically it's not in Tesla's hands to control). Even twitter got attacked once in this way.

The ones still affected probably don't have their DNS updated yet.

Both the website and twitter account were accessed. I say accessed rather than hacked because if the hackers managed to get into both twitter and the Tesla webpage, they more likely managed to hack someone's computer and get logins and passwords from that computer. Thus, two completely different websites (Teslamotors.com and Twitter) were accessed by the hackers, which suggested they got in with personal information, rather than by breaking through the security system.

The good news is that Tesla obviously followed security protocols when the website was accessed. I was at the gym, trying to turn on the air-conditioning in my Model S for my dog, and the iphone app kept giving me a "trying to wake vehicle (not exact wording)" message, and so the car was being protected from hackers. More recently, the iphone app itself was shut down. I think if Tesla contains the damage to the website and twitter account access but nothing related to the cars (or credit card numbers, etc.) was accessed, then damage will be minimal. This will be a good opportunity to see just how securely Tesla has managed to protect the cars and sensitive information from intruders.

Edit: I'm pretty much thinking along the same lines as Uselesslogin here
Edit 2: The website may have not been accessed. People seeking Tesla's website were redirected to another site, which would be more of a temporary nuisance than a real threat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.