Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Son of a gun. My stock is now breaking even again. We got in at 178 about two seconds before the first fire. :redface: I thought this was going to take a lot longer. I hope it keeps going up.
Congratulations on getting your position in green. IMHO timing of fire is very relevant. It was such freak timing of 3 sequential accidents coinciding with a wave of bad sentiment that drove the sp down. Sp seems to be riding a wave of good sentiment and stream of good news at the moment so there is only one way to go, up.

Tesla site down at the moment.

New pricing? New features? Other changes? Anyone know what's coming?

Im on my way to San Fran now and conveniently scheduled my factory tour for this afternoon...I will report back with what I'm allowed to say based on the disclaimer they make me sign....I have high expectations of what this factory is doing and at the very least will tell you if my sentiment has changed at all one way or the other from the tour.

New TM blog entry about Chinese pricing: A Fare Price. Once again TM proves hat it does things differently. Not sure how the market will react short term.

A Fair Price | Blog | Tesla Motors

Combined with the 2017 40% EV target that The big chinese cities have, they will sell ALOT!
I know that some wanted it be more expensive in China, but Tesla have said they will have the same GM in every country.
I think this is great news!

Asia was down pretty big on chinese PMI data and futures have been ticking down most of the night after opening with some nice gains. Europe was also trending the same until the last hour or so

If a pullback happens today, I will start buying calls for next week

This is going to get interesting really quickly. On the surface, some see this as a bad play in China, but notice that this is for the base Model S. Most of the high end Model S' that the ultra wealthy will buy is going to be a long wheelbase Model that Elon mentioned or have more options in terms of amenities for the passenger. The Model S mentioned in the post will capture the rich but not super-rich class in China who buys second hand market luxury cars and don't have an cheauffeur. This GREATLY expands the market there. Similar to the US, you have people who bought Model S' who used to drive Prius' and those who drove Porsches.

In addition, what will be interesting is the play on Chinese consumers. I think people mistake cheap $ for cheap quality. Everybody (regardless of ethnicity) is about getting a good deal. The Model S is a good deal. I'd talk more about the nationalistic aspects of each citizen doing their part in fighting smog, but that's another argument.

Last edited:
This is going to get interesting really quickly.

Very interesting indeed. I've checked some relevant sales data, and the results are staggering. In 2012 Mercedes sold 11,794 Class S sedans in US. Sales in China were almost 3 (!) times higher at 33,140. Considering that MS outsold S Class in US by at least 38% (2013: at least 18,500 MS in US vs 13,303 Class S) gets us to a projection of 1.38 x 33,140 = 45,720.
"Reckless" growth??

"Reckless" growth??
I think "unfettered" would be the best adjective there, though in truth the battery production rate seems to be a fetter until they get the giga-factory up.

in other news...

Kingman AZ Supercharger is on-line! The coast-to-coast SC network is now intact. Yes, yes, it would be nice to have a few more in Pennsylvania and Maryland, but you can now drive from LA to DC using only Superchargers. Why has Tesla not scheduled a press conference?

I think "unfettered" would be the best adjective there, though in truth the battery production rate seems to be a fetter until they get the giga-factory up.

in other news...

Kingman AZ Supercharger is on-line! The coast-to-coast SC network is now intact. Yes, yes, it would be nice to have a few more in Pennsylvania and Maryland, but you can now drive from LA to DC using only Superchargers. Why has Tesla not scheduled a press conference?

I think they will wait for Cranberry Twp, PA; Hagerstown, MD; and Bethesda, MD to come online before announcing it officially. That way they can announce not only coast-to-coast, but also the east coast network (which IMO is more likely to be used in practice than a coast-to-coast route).

in other news...

In his presentation during the Detroit Auto Show Jerome Guillen not only characterized future growth as "reckless", but also pointedly noted that supercharger coast to coast route is almost ready, "stay tuned". I think that the press conference regarding Elon's spring coast to coast trip using the SC network will come very soon. The question that bugs me is which vehicle will he be using? Running Model X production prototype coast to coast would be fantastic PR.

In his presentation during the Detroit Auto Show Jerome Guillen not only characterized future growth as "reckless", but also pointedly noted that supercharger coast to coast route is almost ready, "stay tuned". I think that the press conference regarding Elon's spring coast to coast trip using the SC network will come very soon. The question that bugs me is which vehicle will he be using? Running Model X production prototype coast to coast would be fantastic PR.
My wife asked the same Q (about what vehicle Elon is taking). Her guess was the X; as she said, "why would he take a road trip with his whole family and not take the Model X, which he designed for his family?"

My wife asked the same Q (about what vehicle Elon is taking). Her guess was the X; as she said, "why would he take a road trip with his whole family and not take the Model X, which he designed for his family?"

Not to get to far off topic but I think it will be the Model S. Elon wants to showcase the 5 + 2 seating in a sedan. Even though I agree that it would be good publicity for the Model X I don't think it will have the same impact as the Model S for a few reason. One reason is that you can not go out an buy the vehicle immediately and another reason is it may cause some people to dismiss the Model S. "Sure he can go cross country in the Model X (a brand new vehicle) but he can't do it the vehicle that they are currently selling." keep in mind the general public may not understand that they are the same platform.

Not to get to far off topic but I think it will be the Model S. Elon wants to showcase the 5 + 2 seating in a sedan. Even though I agree that it would be good publicity for the Model X I don't think it will have the same impact as the Model S for a few reason. One reason is that you can not go out an buy the vehicle immediately and another reason is it may cause some people to dismiss the Model S. "Sure he can go cross country in the Model X (a brand new vehicle) but he can't do it the vehicle that they are currently selling." keep in mind the general public may not understand that they are the same platform.

I tend to agree. Model S seems to be designed with his own family in mind: five kids, all safely and comfortably seated in a sporty sedan, with bags in the frunk. By next year the kids may have grown bigger, so Model X comes online and takes seven adults, with some luggage. (Although the front motor steals a bit of frunk space.)

Very interesting indeed. I've checked some relevant sales data, and the results are staggering. In 2012 Mercedes sold 11,794 Class S sedans in US. Sales in China were almost 3 (!) times higher at 33,140. Considering that MS outsold S Class in US by at least 38% (2013: at least 18,500 MS in US vs 13,303 Class S) gets us to a projection of 1.38 x 33,140 = 45,720.
"Reckless" growth??

Does anyone else think it's really easy to read between the lines here? Pricing this aggressively in China when they are currently supply-constrained suggests to me that they are going to guide for higher production in 2014 than analysts are expecting.

Does anyone else think it's really easy to read between the lines here? Pricing this aggressively in China when they are currently supply-constrained suggests to me that they are going to guide for higher production in 2014 than analysts are expecting.

This is what I have been thinking, even before the China pricing was released. If they were not planning to increase production, they would not have had the rapid retail expansion that we have seen in the last few months, as the sales rate throughout 2013 would have been more than sufficient to sell all the cars that the analysts are expecting them to make in 2014. 3 months ago, the closest Tesla store to my house was a 5 hour drive away. Today, there is a store 30 minutes from me, another store a hour away, and a third one 2 hours away. Tesla has always been good about matching their retail footprint to both their customer base and their production capacity. The rapid expansion of retail stores can only mean that there is a significant production increase in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.