Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know almost all shorts think the car is awesome in secret, which really pisses me off. Spreading lies for a living to make money a stocks you short, that's not an honorable way of living.

Anton Wahlman, whose written some pretty sketchy articles on Tesla responded to a couple of comments I wrote on Seeking Alpha yesterday. I took the opportunity to more or less say "Anton, there's no way you actually think Audi's new diesel is a "Tesla Killer" " (he's the guy that wrote an article with basically that title and thesis). He wrote back (paraphrasing) "you see what a great marketer I am. I got you to read my article." I think that was him almost saying, "of course the Audi's no Tesla killer."

so ggies, I'd agree most shorts and media detractors (or "marketers") realize how awesome the car is in secret.

Anton Wahlman, whose written some pretty sketchy articles on Tesla responded to a couple of comments I wrote on Seeking Alpha yesterday. I took the opportunity to more or less say "Anton, there's no way you actually think Audi's new diesel is a "Tesla Killer" " (he's the guy that wrote an article with basically that title and thesis). He wrote back (paraphrasing) "you see what a great marketer I am. I got you to read my article." I think that was him almost saying, "of course the Audi's no Tesla killer."

so ggies, I'd agree most shorts and media detractors (or "marketers") realize how awesome the car is in secret.

ah, well there ya go. :cursing: hahaha

So while TSLA was a great investment for me till early this year, I simply see more money to be made elsewhere. I wish all of you longs luck. Good chance, I'll return to the fold once I've made some more money elsewhere. Long term, I see nothing but great things for Tesla. But I'd really like to support Tesla by actually buying a fully loaded X. To do that, TSLA isn't going to get me there. But GTAT might!

Fair enough. Depends on your threshold for tolerance of risk vs reward. I can respect your position. I was just making sure you were looking at Tesla with the right frame of mind. Plenty of good investments out there.

Fair enough. Depends on your threshold for tolerance of risk vs reward. I can respect your position. I was just making sure you were looking at Tesla with the right frame of mind. Plenty of good investments out there.

Exactly. If you wanted to make a quick dollar on high risk/reward you would have bought GPRO at $28-30 at IPO and sold 3 days later for $44. Lots of opportunity to make (and lose) money.

If he is primarily marketer and sells out for clicks, he has no business trying to pass himself off as a journalist, analyst or author. That's sacrilege.
Too bad the author's name isn't on the article before you click. Things would change quickly.

Last edited:
If he is primarily marketer and sells out for clicks, he has no business trying to pass himself off as a journalist, analyst or author. That's acrilege.
Too bad the author's name isn't on the article before you click. Things would change quickly.

This is why I like being subscribed to TSLA on seeking alpha, since in the E-mail alert it tells me who the author is. I mostly give them the penny so I can go into the comments and help set people back on the right track for getting suckered into their dumb articles. I feel bad for any investor who would potentially take their semi-believable dribble and make an investment decision off of it.

If he is primarily marketer and sells out for clicks, he has no business trying to pass himself off as a journalist, analyst or author. That's acrilege.

seems most of what would otherwise be financial journalism on TV and the internet is actually professional wrestling.

I was actually thinking maybe we should have a subforum here in the investor's area, something like "Clearing Up Media Misconceptions." When a factually false or substantially misleading article comes out, it could get its own thread where it is debunked.

It would be a quick, efficient way for us to track down the facts on the FUD and consolidate our individual efforts doing so.

I have one friend who calls me a couple times a month, and asks "Steve, did you hear the bad news about Tesla?" Now, I could just tell him to check the Media Misconception thread before he starts worrying about his investment.

seems most of what would otherwise be financial journalism on TV and the internet is actually professional wrestling.

I was actually thinking maybe we should have a subforum here in the investor's area, something like "Clearing Up Media Misconceptions." When a factually false or substantially misleading article comes out, it could get its own thread where it is debunked.

It would be a quick, efficient way for us to track down the facts on the FUD and consolidate our individual efforts doing so.

I have one friend who calls me a couple times a month, and asks "Steve, did you hear the bad news about Tesla?" Now, I could just tell him to check the Media Misconception thread before he starts worrying about his investment.

Great IDEA! Would be great to reference the thread page for debunking the specific FUD in the comments section of these FUD articles...would drive more traffic here and make it more of a "go to" place for getting factually correct info on Tesla.

I have the Seeking Alpha app for Android and any articles will show the author below the headline (before you click on it). Not sure if authors get paid for clicks via mobile apps. There are only "author" I trust reading from is Market Currents, which is just a pure facts list report (no biases).

Great IDEA! Would be great to reference the thread page for debunking the specific FUD in the comments section of these FUD articles...would drive more traffic here and make it more of a "go to" place for getting factually correct info on Tesla.

I agree with this. There is more than enough FUD out there to warrant pages and pages of thread posts!

thanks TSLAopt,

I was actually thinking just as you suggested (linking TMC debunking rebuttal to the FUDish article) yesterday.

Upside:

leading the "innocents" to a good source of information

TMC debunkery (yes I just made that up) possibly being reported on in regular media

Downside:

there are some disingenuous types who will spend hours running circles to spread FUD... do we want to draw them over to our nice TMC think tank?

---------

fwiw, I think there's another upside if we create a subforum. we might get good information quickly from Tesla Motors... if they knew responding to one email was going to save them responding to many phone calls and emails, they would have an incentive to quickly email back a representative TMCer on developing stories, etc.

Last edited:

I’m a retired TV financial journalist who took pride in maintaining his integrity. What we see today astounds and saddens me.

This afternoon a CNBC anchorwoman, in reference to the first July 4 Model S crash, said the car was driven off the showroom floor and caught on f_re. If I had not known better, I would have thought she meant a new customer was leisurely driving home in his Model S which then spontaneously burst into fl_mes. There was no mention by her of a thief eluding police in a chase at over 100 mph and crashing into multiple cars and a light pole. Her primary guest was excitedly describing the danger of f_re in a Model S as everyone could supposedly see from coverage of the two Friday crashes. One of the panelists did mention the speed of first the crash, but not the other facts. Another described how much more likely a conventional car is to catch fi_e. But they all left the impression that the Model S in the second crash caught f_re rather than the car it hit.

Yesterday another CNBC anchorwoman got hyper while complaining about Tesla’s credibility following a trademark lawsuit by a man in China. Her guest analyst calmly explained that the case was meaningless. At an initial hearing earlier this year a judge had dismissed the matter, since the man had not made a car. Nevertheless, the man chose to spend $30,000 to file a lawsuit. The analyst was sure that Tesla would either win the case outright, or pay a small pre-trial settlement. That was not what the anchorwoman wanted to hear, which caused her to appear frustrated.

What’s with CNBC and its slanted coverage of Tesla Motors?

Last edited:
I’m a retired TV financial journalist who took pride in maintaining his integrity. What we see today astounds and saddens me.

This afternoon a CNBC anchorwoman, in reference to the first July 4 Model S crash, said the car was driven off the showroom floor and caught on f_re. If I had not known better, I would have thought she meant a new customer was leisurely driving home in his Model S which then spontaneously burst into fl_mes. There was no mention by her of a thief eluding police in a chase at over 100 mph and crashing into multiple cars and a light pole. Her primary guest was excitedly describing the danger of f_re in a Model S as everyone could supposedly see from coverage of the two Friday crashes. One of the panelists did mention the speed of first the crash, but not the other facts. Another described how much more likely a conventional car is to catch fi_e. But they all left the impression that the Model S in the second crash caught f_re rather than the car it hit.

Yesterday another CBNC anchorwoman got hyper while complaining about Tesla’s credibility following a trademark lawsuit by a man in China. Her guest analyst calmly explained that the case was meaningless. At an initial hearing earlier this year a judge had dismissed the matter, since the man had not made a car. Nevertheless, the man chose to spend $30,000 to file a lawsuit. The analyst was sure that Tesla would either win the case outright, or pay a small pre-trial settlement. That was not what the anchorwoman wanted to hear, which caused her to appear frustrated.

Truth twisting is hurtful and can be damaging. Imo Tesla is beyond being in danger from fear mongers. The only entities that may suffer from such misinformation are shorts.

This truth twisting could be seen as an investment opportunity. For as long as there are people that fall for such misinformation, without bothering to research the facts, there will be money to be made on TSLA.

Yesterday another CBNC anchorwoman got hyper while complaining about Tesla’s credibility following a trademark lawsuit by a man in China. Her guest analyst calmly explained that the case was meaningless. At an initial hearing earlier this year a judge had dismissed the matter, since the man had not made a car. Nevertheless, the man chose to spend $30,000 to file a lawsuit. The analyst was sure that Tesla would either win the case outright, or pay a small pre-trial settlement. That was not what the anchorwoman wanted to hear, which caused her to appear frustrated.

Curt I've shook my head in disbelief about this stuff a lot myself the past couple of years.

Then I've thought about it a lot. I think it's about incentives. I also think there is progress we can make towards re-establishing incentives for the media that are consistent with the common good (things like credible information, educating the each other...). I think this can be done without censorship, force, or coercion, and improvements can be far far bigger than a subforum rebutting Tesla FUD here on TMC.

Yesterday another CNBC anchorwoman got hyper while complaining about Tesla’s credibility following a trademark lawsuit by a man in China. Her guest analyst calmly explained that the case was meaningless. At an initial hearing earlier this year a judge had dismissed the matter, since the man had not made a car. Nevertheless, the man chose to spend $30,000 to file a lawsuit. The analyst was sure that Tesla would either win the case outright, or pay a small pre-trial settlement. That was not what the anchorwoman wanted to hear, which caused her to appear frustrated.

I had to go back to work so I recorded Power Lunch today but after reading your description I will just delete the recording.

I had to go back to work so I recorded Power Lunch today but after reading your description I will just delete the recording.

Actually that segment appeared after the market close.

Meanwhile, I emailed the hyperbolic "automotive expert" Lauren Fix who was the primary guest in that segment, and tried to set her straight on the facts.

You can do the same in her contact box within her website at: http://www.laurenfix.com

Here's her Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_fix

I see that she has a TV show and conducts lectures. Her over-the-top manner may have been what she felt could best promote those activities. It may also be what CNBC wants, and she likely hopes to be invited back.

Actually that segment appeared after the market close.

Meanwhile, I emailed the hyperbolic "automotive expert" Lauren Fix who was the primary guest in that segment, and tried to set her straight on the facts.

You can do the same in her contact box within her website at: http://www.laurenfix.com

Here's her Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_fix

I see that she has a TV show and conducts lectures. Her over-the-top manner may have been what she felt could best promote those activities. It may also be what CNBC wants, and she likely hopes to be invited back.

I thought Lauren Fix was on Fox News? She's the nutty, horse-looking lady, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Lauren Fix was on Fox News? She's the nutty, horse-looking lady, right?

Just saw the segment with her and Craig Irwin from Wedbush. She is indeed the horse-looking lady. Thankfully, Craig set the record straight.

The media of today is more about pulling in viewers/listeners/readers by sensationalism/entertainment than about factual reporting of news. Sad, but true.

As to the thread for debunking: I do fear it invites lots of people who troll. Thus, I have very mixed feelings about it. So, I support an effort to have the thread and post rebuttals that we can all use but I would hesitate to point other people to it by posting a link in rebuttal/comment sections of the FUD articles.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw the segment with her and Craig Irwin from Wedbush. She is indeed the horse-looking lady. Thankfully, Craig set the record straight.

Yes, Lauren Fix has repeatedly been on Fox Business over a year presenting Tesla in a rather unflattering light (you can search for her on Youtube and find multiple performances). Most of it was last year when she was saying the company couldn't sell over 20,000 cars without dealerships, and as late as the fall going on and on about Tesla relying on ZEV credits at a point in time when the amount of ZEV credit money was immaterial. She did say the car was beautiful, so maybe some benefit of the doubt... but then again she described Tesla selling directly as "unfair" and you also have today's performance. Pretty confident, she's part of a FUD campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.