Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely did not expect TSLA to keep on going higher and only gain modestly. I guess I'm not alone selling out early in the morning. One thing I learn is to now have patience to jump back in when things settle and not to buy on greed and impulse. The last few weeks shows that TSLA likes to go up and down a lot. So it's my expectation that it'll likely go up and down again.
i also sold my small position 5k with hedge of 10 for $175. Its knockout limit was $157, so i was a little bit scared few days ago when we neared $160 so i wanted to get rid of it.
But the big chunk of my calls (with leverages of 3 and 5, 15k and 25k) i didnt sell. I think im gonna hold them for long. There are just to many good reasons to keep the calls longer!!!!

Be careful doing this, because if you are trading with unsettled cash then you are in a good faith trading violation and may be forced to trade with settled cash for the next 90 days if you get 3 good faith violations in a 12 month period. Fidelity did this to me a while back, haha. Because I was scalping pennies like you did here. It takes 3 days to settle cash, so watch out.
am i the only one to be pissed off over this policy.
buy a stock/option and cash immediately gone although it doesnt settle for up to 3 days
sell a stock/option and they keep cash until settlement.
very convenient for the brokerages

Another data point suggesting Tesla is in full-on last-weeks-of-quarter, time-to-make-as-much-revenue-for-the-quarter-as-possible mode: local service center warned me yesterday that they're clean out of loaners, Tesla keeps selling out the allotment for the service center, and that I'd have to settle for an Enterprise rental car when I dropped off my car this morning.

I told 'em, bummer, when do you expect a loaner? And he said well later in the day on Thurs, and I said, well, I'm flexible. So I was supposed to sit tight and wait until a loaner became available. Then at end of day yesterday I get an excited call that they found a loaner so I could come in as scheduled (for minor squeak-tweaks) at 8am today. While there they continued to bemoan the fact that they keep selling out of their loaners.

Then he handed me a keyfob for a black P85, 21", grey wheels, black interior with (odd?) tan Alcantra ceiling. He made me sign some paperwork and warned me the car is limited to 80mph. I said okay.

So I get out on the highway and holy crap this thing has power. (Rougher, stiffer, noisier ride too by the way, geez.) Compared to my S85 this thing is a monster. (I know most of you know this already but this was a first for me.) As someone said a while back, the P85 has ridiculous, stupid amounts of power. So when I was on a freeway I was curious what the "teleportation" was like, and stomped on the accelerator when at around 64, and instantly I am at 96 and climbing! (Ha, so much for it being limited to 80mph).

Dangerous. I am kinda glad I don't have a P85. :)

Put a trailing stop order? If it moves up it moves up, if it starts to come down you sell. The risk of this strategy is that if right when you do this is the peak, then you lose bracket + trailing amount. If it does move up somewhat then that offsets it. If it moves up a LOT, then you'll grin happily even if you're away from the comp and the trade system takes care of catching it close to the top. However too small a trail amount and a too high a trail amount both are bad, one's too prone to fluctuations and other gives up a lot of profit :)

I'm not a fan of the trailing stop if I have access and the time to watch it. It seems like I always get the worst price available when using a trailing stop. If I have to leave and have made the decision to sell, then I may try a trailing stop.

Right now I'm trying to decide when to sell my 175 calls for tomorrow. now at 179ish, end of day ( not sure what to expect overnight,) or hold and watch it tomorrow...

Jesus... The relentless push for all time highs. The strength is amazing, very few dips. Seems like the most recent consolidation period had attracted additional shorts. And the short squeeze is adding fuel to the fire. What a day (so far). Congrats longs.

Once it hits 250, I think I'm going to buy a Model S. It is such a beautiful car. A friend just bought a P85+. He let me drive it and boy it was such a joy.

Even if GM comes out with an electric car, I doubt it will be as good as the Model S. Model S, the S stands for Superb.

Quote of the day:

I just told my wife of today's actions, and suggested by how much Mr. Musk's fortunes rose. She is having trouble wrapping her head around by the amount our own investments have fared over the past half-year, but her response was -

"Well, I guess he can just go and buy Mars now".

Amazing chart today fro TSLA although would have like more volume. This could very well continue if the market is generally positive and we can reach $200 October-ish.
Agree. Back into the channel now. Which means we should see $200 within a month. The plot thickens and Sept expiration is going to free up a bunch of my margin for me. What a great month.

Status
Not open for further replies.