Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Novice Trader here, but question out to the group since you all seem far more knowledgeable than me. I've put a trailing stop loss of $10 on the stock. Did it when it was at $83 yesterday. Any thoughts on whether or not that is too close/far behind based on how this stock is trading. I keep thinking that if it falls $10, it's probably falling more than that. But that is just my novice logic.

I don't like stop losses. The stock is so volatile, it could be down $10 then back up in a matter of mins. I'd rather get an email that my price was touched, then I can get online and see what is going on and make an informed decision about whether or not to sell.

If you want insurance against a fall, there are better ways to do that. The simplest is to just take some profits off the table and redeploy them if the stock does fall. All depends on what you are hoping to accomplish, but I've never found stop losses to be a good choice.

it might be worth discussing not what the top will actually be, but what the volume, volatility, and rate of descent might be. For instance, I think there are people kicking themselves for not getting in at $68. Maybe even some at $75. Certainly people at $60. Does a 10% drop in TSLA kick off a new spurt of buyers, or does it lead to a "get out while the gettings good?" Or, both - in which case the price could whip-saw like crazy.

Maybe we saw that this morning, with the spike to the high 90's: maybe someone wasn't careful placing limits, or maybe some kind of automated margin call satisfaction bot trade. At any rate, the stock is now trading +/- the 90 level. People are getting scared it's going to drop, and that's making it drop. But, then it turns around and ticks up. So, whether manual or automatic, whether desired or forced, there is still pretty darn good demand for TSLA at the $90ish level. Does it consolidate here for a bit and then take off again, or is it building a new resistance level?

These are questions I can never predict the right answer until it's too late to profit from the knowledge. Anyone here want to go on record?

Last edited:
Maybe we saw that this morning, with the spike to the high 90's: maybe someone wasn't careful placing limits, or maybe a bunch or maybe some kind of automated margin call satisfaction bot trade. At any rate, the stock is now trading +/- the 90 level. People are getting scared it's going to drop, and that's making it drop. But, then it turns around and ticks up. So, whether manual or automatic, whether desired or forced, there is still pretty darn good demand for TSLA at the $90ish level. Does it consolidate here for a bit and then take off again, or is it building a new resistance level?

These are questions I can never predict the right answer until it's too late to profit from the knowledge. Anyone here want to go on record?

I think it might push back into mid-upper 90s toward week's end; but I'm guessing (like everyone) the run is done for now- don't think it will broach the century mark; I put my money where this thought is- Sold-Closed all Call options this morning at price stamps around $94-95 (a last few at $90). I still have a stock position and I'll hold that through whatever- but Options are all sold-

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...rs-rolling-as-stock-surges-57-percent-cars#p1

Today from Bloomberg Businessweek, a profile of Tesla CTO J.B. Straubel
Reminds us that it is not only Elon who brings a lot of cache to TM: there are some really brilliant engineers on board, led by this guy!
This kind of news coming out on a daily basis is certainly driving a lot of interest in the stock, and the cars of the future!
Who needs advertising?

- - - Updated - - -

bounced back up to near 91 now, not giving ground easily!

Totally agree with main point, can never predict. There's just a big piece of stock movement right now that has nothing to do with fundamentals of Tesla. That non fundamentals are at play I think we all are aware of... what may be masked though, is that some of this move is not about traders, and short squeezes. Some of it is about fundamentals, improved with several developments the past six weeks... information from earnings call, Consumer Reports (this will really affect N.Am. sales, it is the most respected consumers buying guide in the U.S.), sinking in of prior information (i.e. lease announcement, credible that it can have a real dent in making S a car for "the 10%"), and change in the conversation about Tesla (analysts now can talk valuation based on Gen III volumes, $5-7 eps within a 5 years without risk of being dismissed as foolish).

So yeah, crazy volatility, who knows, but underlying value can support $75 now.

I think it might push back into mid-upper 90s toward week's end; but I'm guessing (like everyone) the run is done for now- don't think it will broach the century mark; I put my money where this thought is- Sold-Closed all Call options this morning at price stamps around $94-95 (a last few at $90). I still have a stock position and I'll hold that through whatever- but Options are all sold-

Why are you guessing the run is done? As far as I can see, the run is done when volume returns to normal, and that definitely hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying what will happen, but every time the stock calms a little people seem to say "well it's over" and then the stock goes nuts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.