Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As more is learned about the recall I wonder if the bears might have this one right in the short term. 800 cars recalled for about a month of production. 3200 in a quarter, 12,800 annual rate. NO GOOD Time to sell?

"After a careful examination, we have concluded that some Model S vehicles manufactured between May 10, 2013 and June 8, 2013 may contain a defect."

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/partial-recall

Also, the official notice has a different number:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440239/RCDNN-13V249-4963.pdf

"1228 vehicles released outside of Tesla's control".

So that's 1228 vehicles + whatever they made for loaners/demos + whatever hasn't been delivered yet for some reason.

1228/4912/19648 not so bad, wish they were better

Still not a usable number. They mention "outside of Tesla's control", and they discovered the issue at least on June 14th (first filing), probably beforehand - most likely on June 8th, after which point they stopped using a "slide hammer" to affix that bracket.

So all the cars made before June 8th that wasn't delivered yet wasn't "outside of Tesla's control".

e.g. This guy had this fixed yesterday, when he picked up the car:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Delivery-in-17-DAYS/page2?p=366402#post366402

"There was a bit of a minor delay during delivery, minor repair was mandated for rear seat latches, they needed to be bolted, not welded connection."

So that car was obviously made before June 8th, and picked up on June 18th. But it would still counts as a car that was never outside of Tesla's control.

So the only cars that are counted in the 1228 range would be cars manufactured between May 10th until around June 1st. Most cars manufactured between June 1st and June 8th would have still been in Tesla's control and wouldn't be counted as part of the 1228.

There's probably some made before June 1st that also hasn't been picked up by the time they started fixing it on delivery, and some manufactured after June 1st (but before June 8th) that made it out unfixed.

4,912 would be blowing past the guidance for Q2 of 4,500 cars delivered. In my estimate 4,900 cars would be the minimum requirement to get a profit for Q2 (although Tesla would need some additional profits from ZE-credits and powertrain selling per my back-of-the-envelope calculation). Anyhow...4,900 cars delivered would be great news in my book.

IMO, there are very few institutions involved in TSLA right now compared to the future. They will have to buy and bid up price. Even more so if TSLA gets added to an index, though I expect the tape will show signs of this before any announcement.

The idea of Big I investors "showing nothing to worry about" and defending certain price points really escapes me from a common sense standpoint. I'd think it was more along the lines of we need to buy and this price is good. Besides that, I expect they give order flow to market maker to fill over time. The job of the market maker is to execute at best price, perhaps scare short term investors out in a selling panic.

We just broke 106 in a major way up. It looks like many many people are positioning themselves for a positive battery swap announcement. It's time to back up the truck and buy, because who knows if we'd ever get another chance :love:

But what about Palpatine's short position? :scared:

We have to remember to take a moment of silence for our less than fortunate comrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.