Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping a US Tesla to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently (within the last 4 months) purchased a Model 3 Performance. Now I may be moving to Germany, timeline undetermined. Cost of shipping will not be an issue, but would it be worth it to bring my Model 3 with me? I’ve read controversial opinions, some say sell some say otherwise. Looking for advice or personal experience, thank you!

I would just sell the car here and buy another when you make it over there. Some limitations that you may be able to fix (DC charging, European maps, warranty, service). From what I read, you can make it work, but it seems to depend on who you know or if you get lucky at the right service center and the right rep. That's why I would just sell here and buy there.

Upvote 0
I recently (within the last 4 months) purchased a Model 3 Performance. Now I may be moving to Germany, timeline undetermined. Cost of shipping will not be an issue, but would it be worth it to bring my Model 3 with me? I’ve read controversial opinions, some say sell some say otherwise. Looking for advice or personal experience, thank you!
Lots of complications when you go from North America to pretty much any other continent. While the prospect of zipping down the Autobahn in your 3P sounds like fun, I suspect that charging will be an issue especially if it is L2 or CCS. Warranty should not be an issue you would think, but I wouldn’t chance it. Have you checked with Tesla to pick their brains? I’m sure they have access to a good knowledgebase system

Upvote 0
Lots of complications when you go from North America to pretty much any other continent. While the prospect of zipping down the Autobahn in your 3P sounds like fun, I suspect that charging will be an issue especially if it is L2 or CCS. Warranty should not be an issue you would think, but I wouldn’t chance it. Have you checked with Tesla to pick their brains? I’m sure they have access to a good knowledgebase system
I called, but the person I spoke with was pretty nonchalant unfortunately. I’ll probably just go to the dealership to see if I can get more information. It definitely doesn’t seem like the most ideal option, but selling makes me sad lol.

Upvote 0
It’s a lot of legwork to convert a US Tesla to EU… and even then, EU service centers will not service a US car.

For reference:
I have a NA MY in EU. Nav and cell service will not work. Adapters required to charge. Phone is the best for navigation and ABRP best for trip planner.

Will not work:

Navigation (Even with using Wi-Fi or hotspot. Vehicle missing nav instructions not maps. EU Tesla refuse to work on US Tesla. US Tesla says to get with EU Tesla)

Cell service (Mobile hotspot work around for music streaming and such)

Required Equipment:

Type 2 to Type 1 single phase 32a cable EV Charging Cable Type 1 to Type 2 32A 1 Phase 5m | EV Charge +

Type 1 to Tesla adapter (if not Tesla supplied. Max 7.5KWh) SAE J1772 Charging Adapter or ASY,ADPTR,J1772-TESLA,v2

CCS2 to Tesla Adapter (DC fast charge. Max 150KWh. Must have CCS adapter support enabled) USA Tesla Model S 3 X Y CCS Combo 2 Adapter CHARGE ON CCS COMBO 2 STATIONS & EU Supercharger

Schuko Adapter UMC (Can get from Tesla Service Center) Schuko Adapter

License plate holder (Can get from Tesla Service Center)

CP ECU ASSY GEN 4 EU (If needing ECU for CCS support) Model 3R USA Tesla Model S 3 X Y CCS Combo 2 Adapter + CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, EU

Regional Services:

US Tesla vehicles; gray vehicle in core market, service and features are not guaranteed.

https://eu-central-1-02850030-inspect.menlosecurity.com/safeview-fileserv/tc_download/e95690aee1140b4026fc5070287d5e95887355cb281c2cf95758ac6df9e63ae2/?&cid=N647CDC03C535_&rid=a96acbb2e624e0abae356ec4f8ffe54c&file_url=https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/quick-guide-for-ownership-experience-grey-market-grey-vehicles_NA.pdf&type=original

Service & Repair Info (Free):

Tesla Service

Some Reads:

Moving with your Tesla Model 3 from the U.S. to Europe? Here’s how.

I’d cut my losses unless this is something you have the time and energy to take on. Good luck!!

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Definitely sell before you go. Most likely you will be shocked at European prices with all the tax and registration fees they will tack on. Look into insurance as well for when you are there. Most everything will shock you how expensive it is there. Tesla just cut supercharging costs in Europe but last time I looked they are about 20-30% more than here.

Good luck with the move. I lived in Austria and spent a lot of time driving all over Europe. Some amazing roads to enjoy. Make sure you learn all the proper road etiquette.

Upvote 0

Importing a car from outside the EU​

If you bring a car to Germany from outside the EU, you are liable to pay an import duty of 10% of the car's value, plus VAT, unless you fulfil all of the following conditions:

• You are moving to Germany as a full-time resident.
  • You have given up residency in your home country.
  • You have been residing outside of Germany for at least 12 consecutive months prior to your arrival.
  • The vehicle is registered in your name.
  • You do not sell or export the car for 12 months after importing it.

Registering your imported car​

If you are only staying in Germany temporarily, you can continue to use your own number plates and registration documents for 12 months, as long as you have a German translation of your registration documents and proof of coverage from a car insurance provider. You may also have to submit your car to a TÜV examination that assesses its roadworthiness and whether it conforms to German standards.

If you are staying in Germany long-term, you need to register your car to get German licence plates. You will also be required to pay vehicle taxes, get car insurance and submit to vehicle inspections (TÜVs) every 24 months.

Upvote 0
I have moved to Germany two time and never paid
VAT or customs tax. Now there appear to be a few downsides,
replacing the rear light covers, getting Euro maps loaded and
getting software updates, all of this is solvable. Now can you use
the superduper chargers, some say yes and some no, anyway there
are fast chargers at almost every gas station about every 50 miles,
so yes you can charge. The only issue is that I see is no navigation
on maps.
It really boils down to how much do you loose selling your
car and buying one here. And let not forget selling the car you
buy here if you move home. You may even consider buying
an old timer and selling it here like I have done in the past.

Upvote 0