Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shell Car Wash group buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm organizing a group for Shell Car Wash if anyone is interested in joining, PM me!

Cost will be $36
You will get 13 washes, 1 day per week, works out to around $3 per wash within 3 months. We will be sharing the pass. This works Canada Wide, you will be using the Shell Car wash app from you phone to activate the wash.

PM me the day of the week you want and I'll add you to a facebook group. Generally it does take a couple of weeks to get these things going once all payments and spots are confirmed then we can start the cycle.

Car Wash pass Info: Shell Canada Car Wash

Thanks!

Reactions: 03DSG
That is not the point...

I for one would absolutely NOT buy a CPO or other type of preowned Tesla (at the price they're worth) if I knew they'd been passed through automatic carwashes, touchless or not, nevermind for 3$!

My 456,000km old 2006 TSX on the other hand... well yeah. I guess it's about knowing what your car's worth and maintaining it accordingly.

But hey.. to each their own I guess..

Last edited:
That is not the point...

I for one would absolutely NOT buy a CPO or other type of preowned Tesla (at the price they're worth) if I knew they'd been passed through automatic carwashes, touchless or not, nevermind for 3$!

My 456,000km old 2006 TSX on the other hand... well yeah. I guess it's about knowing what your car's worth and maintaining it accordingly.

Interested in knowing more about this topic, why is touchless automatic not good? I’ve heard a lot of good things about the shell car wash

I never manage to get the Shell Car Wash app to work on my phone.
Strangely, haven't seen too many complaints and wonder if I am the only one having problem.

I am not able to Sign up or Sign in using the App. I keep getting "Signin Error - Missing xml parameter in POST data" when I tap "Sign In" or "Sign Up" button.
Tried uninstall, reinstall, various email addresses - no luck.

Interested in knowing more about this topic, why is touchless automatic not good? I’ve heard a lot of good things about the shell car wash

Who know, maybe he had a bad experience. I'm all good with touchless washes where you do the driving. I've seen the swirls from the touch ones and I know a guy got wrecked front wheels from the ones with rails that pull you through.

That is not the point...

I do not know where you live and how’s the winter.

But many of us live where it snows for 4-5 months and hand wash is just not possible with salt and snow.

I will be very interested to know how others wash their premium cars in such weather if not touch less car wash?

Folks, in order for a touchless car wash to be any way remotely efficient in giving an appearance of a clean bodywork when you drive out of the carwash, 2 things must happen:

• High enough pressure to remove dirt efficiently
  • Much harsher chemical usage needed in shampoos to remove contaminants from the finish.

Unfortunately, the trade-off is that usually the mix uses such high pressure and harsh chemical formulations that it will do as much as strip wax from the clear coat. next time you go there, imagine what it does to your clear coat.

The other downside is that, as sophisticated as the system may be, there will always remain areas where there remains significant contamination which, in time, if not removed will also do its work to attack the clear coat.

A third problem is that, as environmentally-friendly as it may be, the use of water recycling makes it that recycled water is often contaminated with residual metals, chemicals and other solids. Combine this with the use of high-pressure spray and you will have a nice abrasive combination that will cause your paint to dull over time as it's been effectively sandblasted. The no-rinse method is an offset to water usage issue if you wish to be environmentally-friendly.

I will also say this: I live in Quebec and get every bit of dirt, salt and oil (from being stuck behind trucks) on the road as anyone north of 40th parallel. I happen to also pretty much live in my car and travel 80,000km per year. My 90D bought September 29, 2017 with 10km to the odometer now has 60,000km and I have not one single swirl mark to the car's finish. (I do have some rock chips to the front end). Last winter I have not used any automatic car wash, but on average every 2 weeks I brought the car in to hand wash it with a combination of pressurised water gun to remove the salt and dirt and (used to be the 2-bucket method) now with the no-rinse method. I have done this during temperatures as low as -25C and the car handled it just fine.

Think about it folks: As much as a car's finish needs delicate care to maintain impeccable aspect, consider it also drives in the worst conditions, in the worst temperature ranges (CaCl2.2H2O @-25C aka salt brine) and withstands it just fine, so for anyone who wonders if their car will implode by washing it when it's that cold out, well... as long as you're in a heated place while you wash to avoid icing up the doors and handles, you'll be just fine, that's actually pretty luxurious pampering compared to the beating it takes on the highway!

I had no good photos yesterday evening when I posted, but here are a few photos I took today (washed Friday evening) that show how the right maintenance will let your car shine for a long time.
IMG_20180708_1249181.jpg
IMG_20180708_1249551.jpg

The car in the reflection is my 456,000km old 2006 Acura TSX, with still with a very nice lustre, though pretty well beaten up with door dings.

Only exception is the front driver side fender which served as a sampling panel for a charlatan who wanted to demonstrate the efficiency of his petroleum-based no rinse washing product. Turns out physics was right after all and so since petrol is a solvent, the clear coat was gone in a few weeks, and 2 years later a chemical reaction is still going on with the paint and slowly gnawing away at it. I decided to science it out and observe the extent in time and depth of the chemical reaction.

Maybe if I come across this guy again, I'll confront him and show his nice job a few years later... :)

I'm organizing a group for Shell Car Wash if anyone is interested in joining, PM me!

Cost will be $36
You will get 13 washes, 1 day per week, works out to around $3 per wash within 3 months. We will be sharing the pass. This works Canada Wide, you will be using the Shell Car wash app from you phone to activate the wash.

PM me the day of the week you want and I'll add you to a facebook group. Generally it does take a couple of weeks to get these things going once all payments and spots are confirmed then we can start the cycle.

Thanks!

Hi. I am interested in Car Wash (once in a week), Please let me know how to share money ? Thanks.

Cost will be $36

Thanks!

Okay, the idea is good. But I like to understand how it works before I sign up. Question:

1) as we sharing a pass on app, there must be login password associated with that. Who can control the password. What if a sharing person change the password without let other ppl know.

2) every sharing person suppose to wash on particular day of the week . What if he/she does not care, and occupy other ppl’s slot?

If the all above is based on trust, sorry, I am off.

Okay, the idea is good. But I like to understand how it works before I sign up. Question:

1) as we sharing a pass on app, there must be login password associated with that. Who can control the password. What if a sharing person change the password without let other ppl know.

2) every sharing person suppose to wash on particular day of the week . What if he/she does not care, and occupy other ppl’s slot?

If the all above is based on trust, sorry, I am off.

Yes it is based on trust. Our group is full. Been using it for the past 6 months with mostly tesla or bmw owners, everyone is very respectful and very happy with it. Sometimes if someone cant make it to wash then we trade via the group message