Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a model y 6 days ago. My sister also got a model 3 in DEC 2018. She and her husband were saying only use touchless car wash. The beaterrs scratch the paint and mess with the cameras. I'm in Chicago Suburbs. Not sure which are touchless. I stopped by waterway and he said we get lots of teslas every week and the beaters do no harm. And if you add wax it counters the scratches. My mom said that is bs. There is a car wash mode but that messed up the GPS and cameras somebody in another thread here said so. I hope that never happens to me. Are there any touchless near me? And anybody else use aaterway? Are the brushes bad for the paint and cameras? Or he was right and wax fills in the scratches?

I personally only use automatic touchless carwashes (or just wash it by hand myself).

I have many people in my family that do not care and just use the normal car wash with the spinning brushes, they have a plethora of fine scratches on their cars, but these can be buffed out most of the time from what I have seen (and personally done).

Waxing the car after it has been washed may fill some of the scratches with wax, but the scratches are obviously still there. Adding wax during the wash (when it just sprays it on the car) will likely not prevent scratches because it is sprayed on after the car has been through the brushes, but still may improve the appearance of scratches.

I am unsure where you heard that car wash mode messes up the GPS and cameras. I use it on both my Model Y and my Model 3 every time I go through a automatic wash. I wouldn't worry about.

Google automatic touchless washes near you and see what you can find.

I personally only use automatic touchless carwashes (or just wash it by hand myself).

I have many people in my family that do not care and just use the normal car wash with the spinning brushes, they have a plethora of fine scratches on their cars, but these can be buffed out most of the time from what I have seen (and personally done).

Waxing the car after it has been washed may fill some of the scratches with wax, but the scratches are obviously still there. Adding wax during the wash (when it just sprays it on the car) will likely not prevent scratches because it is sprayed on after the car has been through the brushes, but still may improve the appearance of scratches.

I am unsure where you heard that car wash mode messes up the GPS and cameras. I use it on both my Model Y and my Model 3 every time I go through a automatic wash. I wouldn't worry about.

Google automatic touchless washes near you and see what you can find.
This thread. Read it. Car wash mode messed him up. He needed 2 computer replacements.

This thread. Read it. Car wash mode messed him up. He needed 2 computer replacements.

I did read that thread, and dont see anything in there at all that points to car wash mode messing up anything. Car wash mode would not have introduced any corrosion around the computer, and the poster you are quoting even said "happened again without using car wash mode" a couple times.

This is how "Telephone game" type rumors start.

Reactions: VipinLJ
I got a model y 6 days ago. My sister also got a model 3 in DEC 2018. She and her husband were saying only use touchless car wash. The beaterrs scratch the paint and mess with the cameras. I'm in Chicago Suburbs. Not sure which are touchless. I stopped by waterway and he said we get lots of teslas every week and the beaters do no harm. And if you add wax it counters the scratches. My mom said that is bs. There is a car wash mode but that messed up the GPS and cameras somebody in another thread here said so. I hope that never happens to me. Are there any touchless near me? And anybody else use aaterway? Are the brushes bad for the paint and cameras? Or he was right and wax fills in the scratches?
I'm in a south suburb around an hour from Chicago. We have three touchless car wash places in a five mile radius from where I live (2 BP stations and 1 Circle K). I've only used touch less for my cars (in winter; in the summer, I wash it myself carefully (which can still cause swirls) and do paint correction and then ceramic coat which has lasted years for me).

I've used car wash mode once at the touchless wash (because it locks the charging port and I was worried it would open) and had no issues. If I did, I'd ask Tesla to fix it, especially since I have warranty.

You can use regular car washes but it 100% will cause swirls. If that doesn't bother you, you can go ahead.

Reactions: YBosy
This is soft cloth. But beaters on the sides. The arlington heights one is closest to me. Not sure if the beaters are high enough to get to the camera area.

and this is the only truly touchless I can find near me.

You will find that with the right process and the right products, you can keep the car in better than new condition - it will actually look better than the day it was delivered.

My car before the current MYLR was built in Stuttgart 20 years ago and has a gorgeous show-car finish. I still get compliments on this 2004 beauty.

First thing I did was ask Ms. Google how to create and care for a show car finish. There are hundreds of sites and more than that in show-car care products. The people who show cars on Pebble Beach Concours or sell them at Barrett-Jackson do not use products that are household names. The products are not even that much more expensive nor that hard to find, they're just sold through super-professional outlets that you may not have ever heard of.

My car never went through an automatic car wash. Then again, it was never valet parked. It was buffed once in 20 years. Every time you buff a car, you remove a bit of paint. Too many buffs gets you down to the primer/metal - or just super-thin paint.

Anything you can find in a auto parts store is consumer grade. The professional stuff is does not always show up on Ms. Google. Start with Griot's Garage. Their Best Of Show Detailer is good to keep in your car for wiping off crud.

I used a protectant that took all day to apply (6 coats) but was easy to put on and take off. It beaded water and looked show-car ready for 18 months, then slowly degraded. Can't remember the name now but when I get home I'll find it and let you know.

I had a parrot and so discovered Poop-Off bird poop remover. Cuts bird poop like you wouldn't believe and is so harmless you can drink it. It has a yellow label and you can buy it on Amazon. You can also get it at most any pet store.

Whenever you wipe after any product, you must use clean microfiber cloths. For the first few years, I only did a hand wash. I mean hand wash - I used bare hands and no cloth whatsoever. This gets the dirt off without micro-scratching. Using only a few cloths when washing will micro-scratch. You should be going through a lot of cloths when you wash your car. Buy bundles at Costco although there's better quality out there.

I would start the drying process with a California water blade (a giant, silicone squeegee - don't know if they still make quality ones but mine looks like the One Pass Classic Waterblade with the purple handle on Amazon - part number WBL-OP2012CTY. It's the most expensive one but mine has lasted decades).

Then I used a hand-held high pressure car dryer to finish. It makes lots of noise but forces leftover water off the car and out of crevices.

There's a ton of info regarding making and keeping a show-car finish. Just ask Ms. Google. Don't waste your time on the standard big-name car sites, they're in it for the quick $$ so they don't supply the really good details. Seek out show-car sites with discussion boards. I would go to weekend show-car meetings in my county and you will get a ton of help if you ask. They even have detail weekends where the owners get together and detail their cars in a group. After that, it's just a matter of deciding how lazy you want to be.