Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing home L2 charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just curious if there was any sort of app/network that allows folks to use/share private charging? I'm picturing a service where you might be able to find a local L2 charger when other options aren't convenient. An AirBnB of charging. You get a premium over your electrical costs and maybe a premium for Wi-Fi or other amenities?

Examples could be:
  • Someone traveling whose final destination is a more remote area
  • Someone who lives in an apartment/condo/etc. without access to charging but they could charge near work
  • AirBnB hosts who want to generate additional revenue by offering up L2 as a part of the stay
Thanks,
Kent

There are some companies/organizations that do this, such as EVMatch https://www.evmatch.com/

I am skeptical it's really going to take off though. Maybe in certain niche situations, but I think it's really going to be hard to find charging in a convenient place to where the individuals you mention might use it.

I've shared my home charger on Plugshare for 11+ years now, and I've never been contacted even once to use my charging station (and I even offered it for free use, and even reached out to a LEAF driver that worked less than 1/2 mile from my home in the early days (when ranges would sometimes not be enough for a daily drive!) and even offered to give him a ride to his office if he ever needed a charge, but he never took me up on it.

I used PlugShare while I was road tripping back to Blacksburg in 2019 and the Salem supercharger wasn't online yet and I only had 120v destination charging. I was coming from the north, and the next closest supercharger was 80 miles away. I found a private charger within walking distance of where I was staying on Plugshare, messaged the owner, and hooked up for a few hours to put 34% back in the car.

Charging deserts are getting smaller and range is getting higher. I still look for destination charging at hotels via Plugshare though.

Yes, Plugshare is it, and I've been on the giving and receiving end of it, which was very cool, but that was back in 2014-2017ish when there wasn't much infrastructure. The relevance of it has mostly disappeared here in 2023 except for in some very small towns.

I can only think of one time I would have appreciated a shared residential plug since 2020. We were at an Airbnb that my car kept tripping the exterior circuit 15A breaker and I could see the Tesla wall connector in the neighbor's garage but they were never around to ask :D

Reactions: kfehriba