Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shared Charging - Help !! ;)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Sooooooo....

I currently share my outside granny plug with a friend. we both have non tesla electric cars and it works great. My current elec car is just a local car, but we want to replace the big diesel car with a tesla Y. this car does regular commutes and trips between uk and france. with this in mind we will need a reliable home charger. On our current granny set up we have a monitoring plug (pic attached)
51Q-1R-fU7L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
where my friend places this between her cable and the plug and it tracks how many KWHs she is taking and then she pays me for her usage. Ideally we would have something similar for the home charger. either a plug, or a charger that tracks different users usage. I cannot find anything like this !! Surely this isnt a particulary unique situation in shared houses etc. anyone got any info to help? Thanks

It'd be more than a little odd, but three of these:

www.amazon.co.uk/Eurobuy-Digital-Display-Single-Mounting/dp/B08CDRM15G would do the job just fine. One outlet per car.

The problem with having a single home charger tracking three separate cars usage punts you into 'commercial' chargers and they cost a lot more than home chargers.

If you really only care about the Y's usage separately, the 'charge stats' part of the app says how much you've charged at 'home', where ever home is defined as.

If you really only care about the friends usage separately, keep using the granny plug/monitor for their car and totally skip tracking your own cars using a standard home charger separately installed.

Thanks dafish, and please excuse my ignorance, but I'm wanting to track the usage of all 3 cars (1 Tesla, 2 non Tesla's) is that possible? is the app car or charger specific?
It is Tesla specific. if you’re unfortunate enough to have one owner owning a Tesla and a non tesla then it’s not enough. There is a software tracking reporting standard, as I recall, that addresses this kind of thing. Let me see what I can find.

I was thinking of OCPP 2.0. I suppose this might get you started ramping up.

Wallbox in general looks pretty good for this application, even without OCPP. Their myWallbox app seems to support OP's needs, and they have a UK presence.

Before OP dives in, I'd recommend asking the wallbox folks if they charge for access to the app when used in a business-y sort of way(multiple users tracked separately, and so on). Chargepoint could definitely do it, but the monthly subscription prices(even once you've spent a ton on an appropriate charger) are ludicrous.

Wallbox's Pulsar Plus charger will apparently be available in Costco this month!

Have you tried a regional forum?
There are differences between incoming power and car charging standards in NA and Europe.

Also, your picture shows what looks to be a NEMA 5-15R. I didn’t know you had those out there.

Also, have you thought about charging your friend a flat fee? Or time based? That might be cheaper than buying new metering equipment.
Hello. Sooooooo....

I currently share my outside granny plug with a friend. we both have non tesla electric cars and it works great. My current elec car is just a local car, but we want to replace the big diesel car with a tesla Y. this car does regular commutes and trips between uk and france. with this in mind we will need a reliable home charger. On our current granny set up we have a monitoring plug (pic attached) View attachment 952854 where my friend places this between her cable and the plug and it tracks how many KWHs she is taking and then she pays me for her usage. Ideally we would have something similar for the home charger. either a plug, or a charger that tracks different users usage. I cannot find anything like this !! Surely this isnt a particulary unique situation in shared houses etc. anyone got any info to help? Thanks

Have you tried a regional forum?
There are differences between incoming power and car charging standards in NA and Europe.

Also, your picture shows what looks to be a NEMA 5-15R. I didn’t know you had those out there.

Also, have you thought about charging your friend a flat fee? Or time based? That might be cheaper than buying new metering equipment.
Im actually in France, the pic is just one of the internet, but its the same model, just a different plug

is the question specific to the market though? Are we not just minimising sharing of knowledge?
No, were are not minimizing sharing of knowledge, and the question is specific to the market, because the power requirements are specific to the market. what may or may not work in NA vs other places regards to power is relevant. All power products do not work in all locations. Its not "just different plugs" in most cases.

Ha well we have had zero responses since you moved it! Im not sure my question is particularly regionally specific, im asking users if they have found solotions to a problem that im sure people have encountered in different countries