Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Interval Question (Why service at all)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, i tried searching and couldn't find an answer.

We currently have a P85D that we regularly service. Shortly after that purchase we also bought a used 85D with a few thousand miles on it at the time to use for road trips (so we avoid putting too many miles on P85D. currently already at 50k). However for this 85D, we have not done ANY service / maintenance on it through TESLA. It's sort of our "second child" and doesn't get all the love the P85D gets :).

Reflecting back, I feel like it was a waste of $$$ to even get the P85D serviced at all. I should have done what I did with the 85D basically doing the needed work myself. i.e. keyfob battery replacement, wiper blade change, cabin filter, etc. 85D has 48k miles now, so the only thing I am worried about is the battery coolant and the brake fluid replacement as part of 50k schedule.

Any recommendation on what I do? is the battery coolant and brake fluid really required at 48k? the 85D is about 2 years old. do folks take their cars elsewhere for this? Does tesla just do work on brake / battery fluids? coming from a long list of BMWs and having pride in doing things like brake jobs, oil changes, engine mods myself, I cannot make myself spend $850 for coolant and fluid change!

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
And what about the firmware / software check?
Abnormal battery / motor degradation inspection?

And can we buy cabin air filter directly from Tesla + carbon filter for those with Biohazard mode?
One of the guy at the service center mentioned something about needing software/firmware access to do work on battery coolant / electric motor oil?

Here is the service list from the service manual:

Check for Alerts, Repair any Issues Found, Clear Alerts

1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox to the vehicle.
  2. In Toolbox, select Perspectives > Predefined Perspectives > Service Default.
  3. Check the Currently Active Alerts, Alert History, and DTCs panels.
  4. After performing any necessary repairs, clear any DTCs:
    1. In the DTCs panel, select the "Clear DTC" radio button.
    2. Click the Start/Play button.
Panoramic Roof

1. Fully open the sliding glass.
  2. Use compressed air to blow out the drain hoses.
Caution: Do not exceed 25 PSI (1.7 Bar).

1. Wrap a clean cloth around a plastic pry tool or other thin tool, then use it to remove dirt and old grease from the 4 channels on each side of the panoramic roof.
  2. Apply Klübersynth noise reduction grease to the 4 channels. Caution: Use only Klübersynth noise reduction grease, Tesla part number 1031102-00-A. Other greases can permanently damage the roof seals.
  3. Move the sliding glass to the 30% open position.
  4. Remove the sliding glass.
  5. Apply Klübersynth noise reduction grease to the sections of the tracks that were blocked by the sliding glass.
  6. Visually inspect the links and shoes for damage.
  7. Reinstall the sliding glass.
  8. Calibrate the panoramic roof.
  9. Use alcohol wipes to remove any grease from the glass and appliques. Use a clean, dry cloth to remove grease from the rubber seals. Caution: Do not use alcohol to remove grease from rubber seals. Alcohol degrades the rubber seals.
Wiper Blades
Replace the wiper blades.

Cabin Air Filter
Replace the particulate filter.

Coolant
Drain and refill the cooling system.

Steering Gear Bolts

Ensure that the bolts (x2) that secure the steering rack to the subframe are torqued to 175 Nm.

Note: Components have been removed in this graphic to aid clarity.

Hood Release Latch
RWD vehicles: Clean the secondary latch, then apply the proper lubricant.

Dual Motor vehicles: Clean the latch, then apply the proper lubricant.

A/C Desiccant Bag
Replace the desiccant bag.

Brake Fluid
Perform the full system bleed procedure.

Brake Caliper Pad Slides
Note: This is recommended for cold weather regions.

Note: Cleaning and lubricating the caliper pad slides/abutments is not included in the Annual Service price.

Note: Perform the following steps on all 4 calipers.

1. Remove the pad retaining pins and collect the anti-rattle spring.
Note: Always check that the anti-rattle clip has not been damaged. This part is easily damaged and is important to help eliminate squeaks.

1. Use a suitable tool to gently push the pistons back into caliper.
  2. Remove the brake pads from the caliper.
  3. Thoroughly clean the caliper pad slides and abutments with a hand brush (1057223-00-A) and soapy water.
Caution: If there is rust or pitting on the caliper that cannot be removed with a hand brush, replace the caliper.

• Front brake caliper.
    • Rear brake caliper.
  1. Apply an even layer of Silaramic lubricant (1063021-00-A) to the caliper pad slides. Remove any excess lubricant.
  2. Apply an even layer of copper paste between the shim and the backing plate. Remove any paste that squeezes out after installing the shim.
Caution: Ensure that the brake pads move freely.

Caution: Do not apply copper paste to the caliper, seals, or any component other than the shim and backing plate.

Transmission Fluid

Drain and refill the fluid from the gearbox(es):

• Rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the large rear drive unit.
  • Non-Performance Dual Motor vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the front drive unit.
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the small rear drive unit.
  • Performance Dual Motor vehicles:
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the front drive unit.
    • Drain and refill the fluid from the large rear drive unit.
Tire Rotation

1. Refer to the recommended tire rotation pattern for the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheels and reinstall them in the appropriate positions.
Thermal System Test

1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox 2.0 or later to the vehicle.
  2. Navigate to Panels > Thermal > Thermal System Test.
  3. Click the Start/Play button.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Suspension Fasteners

1. Check the torque of the front suspension bolts.
  2. Check the torque of the rear suspension bolts.
Wheel Alignment Check

Perform a wheel alignment check

Wheel Alignment Adjustment

Note: This is recommended if the wheel alignment check determines the wheel alignment is out of specification.

Note: Wheel alignment adjustment is not included in the Annual Service price.

Perform a wheel alignment adjustment.

And what about the firmware / software check?
Abnormal battery / motor degradation inspection?

And can we buy cabin air filter directly from Tesla + carbon filter for those with Biohazard mode?
One of the guy at the service center mentioned something about needing software/firmware access to do work on battery coolant / electric motor oil?
The software is done over the air.
Tesla does not do anything special with the battery or motor.
You can buy cabin filters from Tesla, there are also aftermarket version available.
The motor oil is drained and filled with drain plugs.
The coolant is drained and filled with a pressure pump.

• Informative
The software is done over the air.
Tesla does not do anything special with the battery or motor.
You can buy cabin filters from Tesla, there are also aftermarket version available.
The motor oil is drained and filled with drain plugs.
The coolant is drained and filled with a pressure pump.
Thanks for all the advice & information. So I'm assuming you've been doing your own maintenance?

The brake fluid change was needed at my 50k service on my CPO. My brakes were getting mushy indicating there might have been condensation in the system. Felt much better after the 50k service.

Brake fluid goes “bad” by time not always just by use.

The first service also includes a transmission/drive oil change

If you know what you’re doing you can service any car.

Would you buy a car that’s got little or no manufacturers service history? If it doesnt bother you then carry on, if it would then think about what you’re doing. Or put another way, if you think you’d pay 2k more for a 50k mile car with full history v one without, it’s false economy not to get it serviced.

My thoughts are to get it serviced every 2 years or 25k miles, it’s a happy compromise in my book and I’d buy a car with that history, it’s the same interval as other premium cars.

Yes, you can request that Tesla just do portions and they will charge ala-carte for the services.

I really don't think there is anything special for the brake fluid flush, you could have that done anywhere or do it yourself.
The only portion that could be tricky would be getting the fluid changed in the ABS system without the Tesla Toolbox software. That's true on any car though.

What, no spec for the tranny oil?? Tesla probably has carefully chosen this fluid and I would not presume we can use just any ATF etc here. Brake fluid is mostly affected by ambient humidity so in dry climates you can do this half as often as long as fluid remains clear. Brakes themselves DO need to be carefully checked, cleaned and slides lubed. Battery coolant would be better left alone IMO esp if temp stays within limits.
--

What, no spec for the tranny oil?? Tesla probably has carefully chosen this fluid and I would not presume we can use just any ATF etc here. Brake fluid is mostly affected by ambient humidity so in dry climates you can do this half as often as long as fluid remains clear. Brakes themselves DO need to be carefully checked, cleaned and slides lubed. Battery coolant would be better left alone IMO esp if temp stays within limits.
--
Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-F and earlier: Mobil SHC 629

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-J and later: DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Rear drive unit (small and large): DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

I'm going to do all I can to avoid Tesla service. I don't like it when it's out of my hands. In the short time period that I've had my car, I got curb rash at my first service center visit. They had my car for two weeks for a couple of minor issues. Granted the body shop had it for a few days, so they may have damaged it. Tesla paid for the wheel repair.

Also on another body shop visit to replace one of my doors, when I picked it up there was some kind of adhesive on the hood and front bumper. The body shop said it was on there when I dropped it off:rolleyes:. They paid to have it removed, but there were swirl marks left on my Xpel from the method they used. They paid to have two of my doors Xpel'd to make up for the hassle.

Ive already rotated my tires, so I think my next task will be to do the first year motor service, if I can figure out how. Does anyone know what Tesla charges for this in case I change my mind?