Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Porsche!? Tempted to jump ship, new Taycan Turismo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This 30 minute charge time sounds familiar.

"For the first two years, IONIQ 5 drivers will get unlimited 30 minute charging sessions at Electrify America locations."

It looks like Sandy was trying to charge in a mall parking lot during the day. There were only a few chargers, maybe 4, so I could see how EA wouldn't want someone to plug in for multiple hours and hog a stall. I think he commented in another video about only being able to charge for 30 minutes.

My local SC (Mountain View) has ~9 stalls and it's one of the smallest in the Bay Area. It's only 150kW, but I've never had to wait there. That being said, I always check for free stalls before heading over.
I've never seen anything about reserving either. Maybe it's something new coming... or maybe it was a legacy thing that never was added yet somehow floated to the surface of a software upgrade? Maybe it's something that EA can do if a customer calls complaining that one location didn't work or was offline etc and support directs them to the next closest place?

Who knows; all I know is that the usage of EA stations generally seems to be far less "enjoyable" than superchargers.... at least right now. Hopefully that changes fast, but in the last year it doesn't seem like they've done much to make the useability better.
I saw that too but I haven’t found anything that supports the requirement of an EA reservation.

I like Sandy but he’s not always right.

You really can’t go wrong with a Porsche. They are bombproof pretty much and build high quality vehicles. They are still run by their own people and not VW after the buyout and continue their tradition.

Go for it. It’s a premium brand with a premium price. But they back it up.

You really can’t go wrong with a Porsche. They are bombproof pretty much and build high quality vehicles. They are still run by their own people and not VW after the buyout and continue their tradition.

the taycan has been a little short of bomb proof. there are 2 active recalls of some sets of cars, there are many software issues that need to be sorted out and there is a very small group who have had their cars shut down for no apparent reason while driving. and there are a few cabin rattles that need fixing on many cars.
the early teslas had similar teething problems and overall the build, fit, finish of the taycan is superior to the tesla.

My Posche's must ahem been exceptions. Bombproof? My 964 was in the shop roughly 1/3 of the time I owned it. My 993 had steering failure that produced an off-road excursion. Those two ended my Porsche experiences.

It is strange that no manufacturer actually an deliver 100%. However, My Tesla experiences have been closer than has been any other.
It would take a serious brain dysfunction to get me back in a Porsche. My two Ferrari's were much more reliable, even my Maserati's were better and that is a brave statement indeed.

My Posche's must ahem been exceptions. Bombproof? My 964 was in the shop roughly 1/3 of the time I owned it. My 993 had steering failure that produced an off-road excursion. Those two ended my Porsche experiences.

It is strange that no manufacturer actually an deliver 100%. However, My Tesla experiences have been closer than has been any other.
It would take a serious brain dysfunction to get me back in a Porsche. My two Ferrari's were much more reliable, even my Maserati's were better and that is a brave statement indeed.
Heh,
all Porsches I've had have had major problem. 996 Turbo Coupe, 964 Targa, 996 Turbo Cab, and even GT4 had a transmission replaced after a year and 7K miles. First one 996 Turbo Coupe almost bankrupted me when I was younger engineer...
I still love them, amazing steering and great on the track, but I won't buy a new Porsche, and especially not new tech Porsche.

Reactions: electricar
To me today's EV cars are more like computers and phones. That's why Tesla is smart to do air updates which helps negate this. But even with that I think new electric cars will age faster in technology than in the past. Sort of like smart phones and lab tops with their continuous hardware and software updates. Three or four years and they are dated. So its buy and trade in or lease. Depending on your budget and needs that will be the only way to stay up on the latest. Ice cars didn't change much in the last 10 years but that is over I think.
That is not what has been observed. Tech has been aging slower as time went on. Highest evidence is from gamers like me who in the 90s and 00s had to buy a new computer every 2 years. Had mine currently for 4 and still doing well.

Now there's something I don't think I have ever heard. Ferrari reliable? All Porsches I have owned have been fantastic - no issue just maintenance.
I'm Porsche for life.

I won't bore everybody with a rehash of my Taycan test drive, But as impressive as the car was, it was really disappointing in some surprising ways.

Pros:

1) Great build quality, interior materials, and instrument layout and operating system.
2) Porsche cachet value – but partially offset by the VW groups seriously compromised image around the disgraceful dieselgate scandal and the unreliable nature of the Electrify America charging network – As somebody once said VW managed to become the 'anti-Tesla' in that scandal, and all their subsequent talk about electrification and the environment seems disingenuous.
3) Practicality of the Tourismo body Shell.
4) Better handling than prior generation Stock Model S, although I have not driven the new Plaid – But no better handling than a properly tuned Model 3 – Still impressive.
5) Way better thermal management than prior generation Model S but probably no better than Current Plaid
6) Surprisingly good handling and dynamics given its weight . Reminds me of Colin Chapman's aphorism "do your best design and then add lightness." Taycan feels easily 500 pounds lighter than its rather overweight statistic.

Cons:

1) Sticker shock pricing, with a crazy à la carte options list that can add easily 50 to 80 grand to the car – they are the anti-Tesla in relationship to options and pricing. Or as somebody once said why bundle things when you can gouge individually for each item?
2) Severe performance decrement relative to the Plaid which is cheaper, faster and longer range. That's a tough one – especially for folks who once could argue that yes the Taycan is more expensive but it's got a little bit more performance and a lot more build quality. One of those checkboxes is now gone.
3) Surprising nonlinearities in relationship to accelerator and torque delivery, especially when going from full throttle to trailing throttle. It's nothing less than abrupt and jerky, and in that sense it's much harder to drive smoothly if you're trying to drive really fast. This was shocking but it was very discernible. The dealer confirmed that this was not an aberration on my particular Turbo S model.
4) Inability to configure regen breaking to more than 0.1 G default. This is just baffling and frankly unacceptable. The first 0.3-0.4 G's of braking achieved when pressing on the friction brakes are regen. Why Porsche chose to lock in users to an old meme instead of transitioning to the much more practical and safer use of heavier regen is just this side of bizarre, and makes you ask the same question here as you do around the diesel gate scandal – namely what are they smoking?! One pedal driving is simply not possible. Hopefully Porsche will wake up and reconfigure this in a future software update. Speaking of which, are they still forcing you to bring the car in to the dealer to get a software update? Seriously?
5) Weight. Heavier than old generation Model S and now ~300 pounds heavier than plaid.
6) Interior space including trunk space but also backseat for the size of the car is really disappointing. This is the cost of a legacy chassis design crossed over into an EV. Tesla started with a clean sheet of paper clearly has much better space utilization, especially in the model 3 and model Y, but also in the model S.
7) Value. Just can't see how the Taycan is any kind of good value in view of the plaid or the Model 3. You can get a Model 3 Performance, install aftermarket wheels and tires and the MPP suspension kit and still come in under 60,000 bucks. You can't get anything in Porsche for 60,000 bucks new.
8) Electrify America network versus Supercharging network. Sorry that's still just not even close And don't tell me about the theoretical advantages of the 350 kW charging and the 800 V architecture. Good luck doing an actual road trip where any of that is meaningful compared to how many EA charging stalls are dead.

Brand loyalty is very tribal so I'm sure people who are very loyal to Porsche will hear all this as a slam. It's not. It's simply a statement of where the brands sit right now in terms of what they're offering for your dollar.

I really enjoyed the Taycan when I had it but I would not trade it dollar for dollar for the Model 3 Performance. Or for that matter for a new Plaid Even up.

Last edited:
Reactions: wooter and X Fan
i agree overpriced. A house downpayment for a car? lol
Even a Tesla is equivalent to a down payment in many parts of the US.

Back on topic, if you can afford and like a Porsche, just do it.
Not sure how it’s even a comparison between a Model 3 and a Taycan. Very different cars in very different price leagues.
I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone debating between sticking with their existing BMW 3 series or buying a new Panamera. It’s either you can afford to or not.

I think Porsche look and drive fantastic. I have a few GT cars and love them. Here’s my only issue with Taycan lineup, range. That’s it 200 mile for a starting price of 90 grand. And anyone who has shopped Porsche knows they have a laundry list of options, some of which you’ll want. The basic Taycan will be 100k with minimal,option selection and still be 200 mile range. It’s the same price as a FSD Models LR with paint, interior and wheel upgrades. You can easily skip the FSD and save 10k.

I do believe the Porsche fit, finish and experience will be better but I just can’t see being that range limited for the money. 400 v 200. That’s quite a bit to give up. I’d rather get the new smaller Audi Q4 etron 221 range for 60k.

I preordered and got an alocation of the MB EQS 580 which probably cost 10k less than a MS Plaid equipped the way I want. it should match range pretty well with the MS LR and my experience MB products has been excellent.

Now there's something I don't think I have ever heard. Ferrari reliable? All Porsches I have owned have been fantastic - no issue just maintenance.
I'm Porsche for life.
I agree with you. I’m probably buying (actually leasing) a Taycan this week. I have a 996 and a 991.2 GT3s and they’re awesome. I’ve previously owned a 996 Turbo Cab that I wish I had back and a 997.1 TT. The comment on Ferraris as more reliable is kind of odd given the service interval and cost of service alone, at least pre-430 vehicles.

I like my Tesla. It pretending the brand doesn’t have problems, and many according to JD Powers where it ranked low, is denial. Moreover, Tesla’s ranking was unofficial because it lacks all of the bits that other cars did in the test. I’m guessing quality surveys will rank EV’s differently? Hopefully not being the only brand in the game will be good for Tesla too.

My wife will use this as a DD for her around town errands—most charging at home. The ride quality and fit and finish was better in the p-car. And the complete lack of wind noise will be welcome. Prior to the MS my wife drove a 17 S550 so very different in fit finish and ride quality.

I agree with you. I’m probably buying (actually leasing) a Taycan this week. I have a 996 and a 991.2 GT3s and they’re awesome. I’ve previously owned a 996 Turbo Cab that I wish I had back and a 997.1 TT. The comment on Ferraris as more reliable is kind of odd given the service interval and cost of service alone, at least pre-430 vehicles.

I like my Tesla. It pretending the brand doesn’t have problems, and many according to JD Powers where it ranked low, is denial. Moreover, Tesla’s ranking was unofficial because it lacks all of the bits that other cars did in the test. I’m guessing quality surveys will rank EV’s differently? Hopefully not being the only brand in the game will be good for Tesla too.

My wife will use this as a DD for her around town errands—most charging at home. The ride quality and fit and finish was better in the p-car. And the complete lack of wind noise will be welcome. Prior to the MS my wife drove a 17 S550 so very different in fit finish and ride quality.
This video sheds a different light on that JD powers survey. It’s not as bad about Tesla as they would like to have you believe. And the “reliability” survey is misleading too.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doc Brown