Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously considering trading in for the performance model....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this in August; had a RWD from January and sold it to get a stealth Performance (which is no longer available) which I picked up in August. The service I used was Vroom: Buy, Sell or Trade-In Used Vehicles Online as suggested to me by another forum member; everyone was telling me I would need to sacrifice on price because of the fed tax credit. Not so; I think I got a fair price and more $ that some naysayers on the forum suggested :)

Times were different then; it was hard to get any Model 3 but now it's impossible to get a RWD LR? Hard to speculate what your car is worth now but look at vroom, carvana, shift, and edmunds to get an idea.

The fed tax credit, according to our accountant, is valid on both cars for us since intent in both cases was not flip/resale. I never filed for CA because car pool stickers are gold out here..

Good luck.

Don't forget to ask Tesla for a tradein offer. Tesla gave me hundreds MORE than the net cost of my RWD after Fed and Colorado credits when I inquired about a trading up to an AWD. It was like having a free lease of an M3 for a few months.

I also considered this but you will have to pay back CVRP. i feel like we got shafted with the LR RWD....

Depends on how you feel about the performance. The LR RWD for all intents and purposes is the better car as a daily driver. Only when you decide to race or floor it, would it be a huge difference.

The LR RWD has more range and is more efficient, and cheaper so it'll keep its resale value the best. As you've already noticed, us P3D+ owners already got the $5k shaft *almost* had it not been Fred and Elon saving our butts. Its amazing performance, and every launch still puts a smile on my face, but I'd certainly be happy with a RWD as well. It just won't put a smile like a performance.....:p.

I'm not sure if I helped you or made it worse....

• Funny
Reactions: GuyDude
i did contemplate this but offer i got for my LR was 42k. that offer was for a 3 month old car with 1200 miles on it, photosync tint on all windows and a ceramic pro cosating. mostly will keep the car for 5 years and see what’s out there then

428759E8-C5D7-4185-8716-2BB2B5DC5D7D.png
Official numbers on the CVRP program are that the registrant needs to own the vehicle for 30 consecutive months. If ownership of the vehicle changes then CARB may attempt to recoup some of the rebate. It’s on the CVRP website

Can you elaborate? Haven’t picked up mine, upgraded from MR thinking it was worthwhile,

Which variant of the Model 3 to get really depends on what you intend to use it for. I'm very glad I got the LR RWD, because I regularly make trips between SD and LA. With the range of the LR AWD, I can easily make the round trip with 50+ miles to spare (7k+ miles driven and have never been to a Supercharger), although I drive at the flow of traffic in the leftmost freeway lane and with the A/C on. I originally wanted the AWD to make ski trips easier, but now I can't imagine losing 7-8% range to AWD. Sure, I may enjoy the performance of AWD or PAWD once in a while, but RWD is plenty fast for everyday driving.