Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still do think this weekend would be a good time for Tesla to announce the CyberTruck delivery event. I do think the announcement will provide a 4-5% pop to the stock that will be short lived.

I don't plan on holding the bull call spread to maturity. If I can sell for a 3x and close both sides I will. Alternative is to sell the +287.50s on a pop and hold the -290s to expiration.

STO a few -C290 9/22 for $2 @$275.88
Starter position, looking to add if we try today's highs later on.

1694795799883.png

1694795777736.png

Manipulate back and set it for a penny below :cool:
OK, that pop back to $276 got them sold AND closed out the remainder of this week's puts 20x -p270's @10c

Rather pleased to have gone from 40x -c260's & 20x -c270's written last week expiring today, for very low premiums, to 20x -p270/-c270 & 20x -c280 for next week without losses -> chased them all the way up with put straddles rolled and rolled again, very effective. That's the huge benefit of keeping a pile of cash on hand

OK, that pop back to $276 got them sold AND closed out the remainder of this week's puts 20x -p270's @10c

Rather pleased to have gone from 40x -c260's & 20x -c270's written last week expiring today, for very low premiums, to 20x -p270/-c270 & 20x -c280 for next week without losses -> chased them all the way up with put straddles rolled and rolled again, very effective. That's the huge benefit of keeping a pile of cash on hand
Great work!! Need to learn from you how to wiggle out of positions that go against us.

🏅

You have to learn to be willing to accept pain.

short term pain,
longer term gain!

So true! It's painful sitting on a position going so red while waiting to burn off theta and roll, and watching it go redder and redder. It plays with your head. I can't imagine how @Max Plaid does it.
Mastering that is major.

Great work!! Need to learn from you how to wiggle out of positions that go against us.

🏅
In this case it was a hell of a lot of work and patience, catching the dips and pops to close, resell, roll, etc.

But the main winner was rolling puts - last week I had written 50x -p230's for 9/15 and they'd already gained 60% profits by last Friday, so I rolled up to 30x -p245, which looked like a poor decision when we closed at 245 last week, but genius on Monday when we gapped-up... this of course put my calls in the dumpster, but the -p245's went to nothing fast, closed them for 10c and rolled them to 30x -p260, these also lost value fast an I could close on Wednesday 80% profits, then wrote again at -p270, which also allowed me to straddle with 20x of the -c260's

Yeah, it was not easy, but all the profits on the put rolls covered all the call losses, but I cannot do that every week, not funny!

The 50x -p230's were initially sold for $5850, but the sequence of rolls generated $36800, plus the profits from the -c270's closed today, an extra $6780, which offset the total losses on ITM call/rolls $39600 -> so in fact around $4k realised for the week = not much, but when you get a +10% day and you have a ton of short calls, that's a good outcome

The mechanics of options trading is really simple, but trying to explain it I find really hard!!

So true! It's painful sitting on a position going so red while waiting to burn off theta and roll, and watching it go redder and redder. It plays with your head. I can't imagine how @Max Plaid does it.
Mastering that is major.
@MP knows that it is just that “the position sizes are larger”.. gains and possibly losses.. it took me several years to be comfortable just increasing position size, but a long history of 85% win rate told me I would be rewarded.. that and the fact that for whatever reason, my allocations to trades that end up in the 15% column are SIGNIFICANTLY lower in $$ terms than the 85% win column. And not just because it’s only 15% of the win/loss metric.

Whatever one calls it.. first loss is best loss, take your lumps early, it’s just math - don’t turn it into emotion, taking losses is hard for anyone but to be a highly successful Investor and certainly TRADER, it must be achieved in order to outpace the rest.

Last edited:
Anyone selling/buying calls/puts for next week?
Might be chop through Wednesday (FOMOC) and seasonal softness afoot.

Likely close around $272 if no flush or last minute surprises.

I have:
15x -C290 9/22 @$2
25x -C290 9/29 @$5

Looking to STO more on any new strength and BTC on any weakness.

1694805763253.png

Last edited:
What does that mean? ;- )
Information cannot escape black holes so you get nothing from staring at them. P&D can change everything so everything I say, from buying 255 to selling 290, is only valid till 9/29. After that it's wait and see. That's the collective understanding between traders so we can always count on a little reversal to the mean a few days before a big release as the winners want to take home some spoils instead of risking it all on the unknown.

You can make a few small bets looking at the chart right before P&D, but not in the sizes we're trading here.