Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 9/30 -c315 is +40% today.

View attachment 857570

undecided if BTC tomorrow and lock in the profits. I suspect this will expire anyway (Wed and Fri - Feds speaking).

i don't think month-end window dressing + TSLA Q3 will steamroll me in 2 DTE, and TSLA hasn't reached 315 since May.

my plan for 10/7 and 10/14: buy-writes only; not opening directional bets near earnings. I am too chicken!
converted to BCS yesterday; closed now (i know, i know, why spend on fees if it is expiring anyway, etc)

1664469397449.png

As needed, I normally roll covered calls by simultaneously entering market orders to btc and sto, taking what the market gives me soon after taking the decision to roll. With this peculiar dip Friday/Monday prior to P/D and ER, considering doing a little market timing today/tomorrow by closing all the following, and then selling before or after ER. Anticipating a small spurt. It’s about the same as buying calls, and could be an opportunity to reset at something like Jan23 $325+.

- Mar23 $320
- Apr23 $308.33 and $325

Any comments?

Closed the first two at midday today at 30-day lows, and SP $272. The $325 is a buy-write at cost that I’ll hold for awhile. Looking to resell after the dust settles on the P/D.

Only remaining covered calls are 111822-c$360 (another buy-write at cost).

Yesterday on a small SP rise, rolled my 9/30 -c/p310s to 10/7 -c/p305s for overall credit. Today I closed the CCs, also too early. Used some cash buying shares down to $269.69 and (stupidly) a +c270 for Friday. Oh well, I’m always jumping in too early. I still hold 10/21 -c/p300s in one account, but less than $100 cash (ooops), so unless something really crazy happens, I’m doubling my share count soon. Really really appreciate these buying opportunities, but it’s getting a bit tiresome at times.

Edit: Are we really testing $265.42, 50% Retracement From 13 Week High/Low? It certainly looks like the geopolitical situation has deteriorated. If Russia annexes the Donbas, the use of nuclear weapons looks more and more likely. Damn, a nuclear winter is really not something that the world should consider as the solution to global warming. Nothing I can do but harvest/can another 15 liters of green beans. Better be prepared for more pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: juanmedina
Yesterday on a small SP rise, rolled my 9/30 -c/p310s to 10/7 -c/p305s for overall credit. Today I closed the CCs, also too early. Used some cash buying shares down to $269.69 and (stupidly) a +c270 for Friday. Oh well, I’m always jumping in too early. I still hold 10/21 -c/p300s in one account, but less than $100 cash (ooops), so unless something really crazy happens, I’m doubling my share count soon. Really really appreciate these buying opportunities, but it’s getting a bit tiresome at times.

Edit: Are we really testing $265.42, 50% Retracement From 13 Week High/Low? It certainly looks like the geopolitical situation has deteriorated. If Russia annexes the Donbas, the use of nuclear weapons looks more and more likely. Damn, a nuclear winter is really not something that the world should consider as the solution to global warming. Nothing I can do but harvest/can another 15 liters of green beans. Better be prepared for more pain.
Is it a coincidence that TSLA and APPL are the two big names being targeted here? And that they happen to be a primary destination for retail dollars and options trades? Smells to me like this is MM's harvesting a few shares from retail and crushing retail options holders before what everybody knows will be blowout earnings.

Would be a strong coincidence indeed that today (of all days) the institutional investment world has decided that the geopolitical landscape has tipped into "deteriorated". The options rolling day before Tesla P&D confirms the range of earnings for 3Q22......shocking!

What a week it will be next week as the MMs fight off bullishness and try to expire all these $330, $350 and now maybe even $300 calls.

tsla10-07.png

All of the sudden seems quite doable, right? What a coincidence!

B-W this morning when price was 273, Oct 7 -c285 for 6.3 , bought back the call at 267 for 4.5 ... kept shares at an effective cost of 271.2 ... figured may as well capture something in this wild swing to the 260s. Not really, it will help subsidize the debit roll of a +285/-260 spread to next week and a -305csp as well.

I hesitate to post as I'm still a total options newbie and I still have some BPS in the money That I've been kicking down the road since January.

Anyway today I sold a Jan '25 $300 strike Put for $98.54 and an Oct 21 $220 strike Put for $3.72. I did this because I need to raise some cash in the near term and I figured that if I'm assigned I would be happy to buy at these strikes.

Picked up a bunch of 10/21 C330s for an average of $1.89 today, currently trading at $1.82. I did the same a few days ago but, luckily, sold them on the pop yesterday. Between AID2, PD, and Earnings, I'm sure there will be pops to unload these at a profit. Hopefully the pop isn't from 200! I was waiting for $263.XX to purchase but not sure we're getting there today.

closing it now; quick 7.6 credit in 4 hrs

edit: buy 281.01, sell 288.65

View attachment 857819
with the success of this test, today i started a "leg-in write"

bought shares at 270 (i missed the 268 bottom), waiting for sp to rise before deciding whether to sell shares or open BW

"Leg-In Writes (OTM)
This strategy is a variant of the OTM write, but even more bullish in outlook. Assuming the stock in fact will rise as anticipated, it is far more profitable to buy the stock only and wait until it has risen before writing the calls. This is known as legging in, because the stock leg of the covered call is put on first. The calls may be written days or weeks later, depending on the stock’s movement and the amount of return sought. Using this technique can double or triple the uncalled return in the OTM write and can seriously boost the assigned return. When the stock really is moving strongly, many times the leg-in writer simply will elect not to write a call at all but simply profit from the stock’s price movement."

Straight rolled -p300 to next week, still holding -p280. Also converted 100 shares to 2x 1/25 c300 and cash.

The weekly calls I've been buying are ugly but still hoping for a pre-delivery number bounce tomorrow. If no bounce tomorrow, will load up more calls for next week and 10/28.

Is it a coincidence that TSLA and APPL are the two big names being targeted here? And that they happen to be a primary destination for retail dollars and options trades? Smells to me like this is MM's harvesting a few shares from retail and crushing retail options holders before what everybody knows will be blowout earnings.

Would be a strong coincidence indeed that today (of all days) the institutional investment world has decided that the geopolitical landscape has tipped into "deteriorated". The options rolling day before Tesla P&D confirms the range of earnings for 3Q22......shocking!

What a week it will be next week as the MMs fight off bullishness and try to expire all these $330, $350 and now maybe even $300 calls.

View attachment 858188

All of the sudden seems quite doable, right? What a coincidence!
Totally agree. Yesterday we got the fake "Apple scuppering plans to increase iPhone 14 production" garbage - conveniently ignoring that they had never announced an increase for iPhone 14, but were looking to ramp-up iPhone 14 Pro, and still will do so...

Then the "rare downgrade" from BofA on AAPL, lots of coverage of that, but not much on the upgrade from Rosenblatt

I think this was a pre-determined short-signal to the bears to jump-in and short everything

And we're the lucky ones who realise this and also profit off it - imagine the average retail investor getting wiped-out by this, od the folks cashing-in their pensions right now at lower-than-expected values

It's a f******g disgrace, and nothing ever gets done about it - are the SEC that incompetent or on-the-make as well?

Bunch of *****, the lot of them

@Papafox had a prescient reason for today’s manipulative dump:
Check out the blue 50 day moving average approaching the 200 day moving average for the soon-to-be Golden Cross. They're about $1.70 apart at the moment and a strong day on Thursday could give us the cross that will make technical traders cheer. TSLA would also climb above the mid-bollinger band at that time, setting the stock back into a position of strength for the end of the week.