Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All that said, the traditional measure of using the past 52 weeks to identify high/low IV necessarily requires a trader to accept that the past year of TSLA trading has been "normal". As I’ve posted above, in the context of 2 or 3 or 5 years, TSLA IV is still pretty high. Current IV30 (the green line below) is ~57; the long term IV30 floor has historically been in the ~low 30's (the red line below), with very few spikes above ~80. Mid-high 50's has historically been either ~mid IV or ~high IV.

View attachment 634193

Super interesting analysis! I guess one must base their decisions on the presumption that either the last year is now the new normal, or an outlier and we will return to a lower, more stable IV range.

Reactions: bxr140
Back on 'sell to open' covered puts. Here's an example for this week and next week. And with **JUST** a fraction of a portfolio. What I like about selling puts is that I'm actually hoping to acquire shares this way **AND** getting paid to do it. Now that TSLA is in the S&P the high premiums (high IV) may dry up, but they are still good now.

Strategy is 'sell to open' puts on dips and dips usually occur at 1030am eastern. Also, Tuesday's (in general) as Monday's are usually up as Fridays (which just happened) are usually controlled to meet Max Pain.

Obviously there is so much more to it than that, but this might help others get started.

options week ending feb12.png

Back on 'sell to open' covered puts. Here's an example for this week and next week. And with **JUST** a fraction of a portfolio. What I like about selling puts is that I'm actually hoping to acquire shares this way **AND** getting paid to do it. Now that TSLA is in the S&P the high premiums (high IV) may dry up, but they are still good now.

Strategy is 'sell to open' puts on dips and dips usually occur at 1030am eastern. Also, Tuesday's (in general) as Monday's are usually up as Fridays (which just happened) are usually controlled to meet Max Pain.

Obviously there is so much more to it than that, but this might help others get started.

View attachment 634310

Congrats, that is one impressive portfolio if you have $573k free to cover 7 puts at a time! I can only do 1 or maybe 2 depending on strikes.

Last edited:
Congrats, that is one impressive portfolio if you have $573k free to cover 7 puts at a time! I can only do 1 or maybe 2 depending on strikes.

Easy enough if you have margin available on your position. I can cover 5 Puts easily with available margin liquidity but choose to have up to 10 active at a time but at different expiries. There's very little chance of execution anyway unless I choose to as I can always roll out.

Ugh, I keep making that error. You're right; it is a call that I sold, not a put. I just had been selling puts for much longer, use to saying puts and not calls!

You and me both. :-D I seem to write puts/call almost random in most of my posts. :-D

I haven't found any really juice calls I would want to sell yet.. I am too bullish/greedy to want to do this.

Sticking with naked puts. Will try to sell some more on the next MMD - using 40% of my margin now.. but SP seems stable, so I am considering adding another 10-20% temporary margin usage. (That's greed speaking).

My goal is to get close to 10% monthly return on my margin - have been at 5-6% past two months, but I can do better.;-)

Edit:
Have had 10-15 $760 3/5 naked puts open for past weeks.
Sold 10 contracts after ER for $33, then premium jumped to $58 on Friday after ER.
Sold 5 more, margin usage went uncomfortable high 60%+, so closed these on pop Monday.

Last week premium declined steadily, and margin used went down to 25% so it allowed me to sell 5 more mid week at a dip $25. I have 15 open contracts now, with remaining premium at $17 - my margin usage is 40%.

Will try to stay at 40%, and looking to roll them up a bit closer to SP on a MMD dip next week/or sell more as we get closer to expiry. Plan for now, is to close all 2-3 days before expiry.

Last edited:
Crazy there is no discussion here about the massive put buying. Like historic put buying on zero news...

I have nothing to say about it. A lot of money goes into calls and puts of Tesla, and they don't always pan out. Tesla Option Traders Are Dumping Massive Amounts Of Calls like this 44mil bearish bet.

Tesla has no real reason to drop any time soon. Their sales figures were great, they made the 1/2 mil guidance made three years ago, their factories are being completed all over the world, and they just released a refreshed, more expensive model S and X.

It is pretty amazing...here's this coming Friday's put expiry. 316k $20 puts! No idea how much they cost...maybe $2 each?

View attachment 634517

That’s likely someone avoiding a margin call. A relatively massive one at that. Remember that buying deep OTM puts is a way to reduce your exposure for maintenance excess purposes.

You sold puts after the IV spike? How did you catch that timing? That's incredible.

Well, I had a limit sell order open on Friday afternoon for a 2/12 $830 put and it looked like there was no way it was going to fill. And then late in the afternoon, it suddenly did, without the stock price changing meaningfully. It wasn't a genius move or anything, I feel like mostly I just got lucky. I had the order set for what I figured the price should be if the stock price dipped to $845, and it filled with the price right near $850, so not a huge difference, but I was pleased.

Reactions: MXWing
Well, I had a limit sell order open on Friday afternoon for a 2/12 $830 put and it looked like there was no way it was going to fill. And then late in the afternoon, it suddenly did, without the stock price changing meaningfully. It wasn't a genius move or anything, I feel like mostly I just got lucky. I had the order set for what I figured the price should be if the stock price dipped to $845, and it filled with the price right near $850, so not a huge difference, but I was pleased.

What's gonna happen is I'm going to wake up one day and see 2000 shares of TSLA fill at $420 for some long lost limit order.

It would be excitement the first second and investing in $ROPE the next. :D

What expiration? Remember that farther expiration IV moves much less than close expiration. IV30 had a pretty significant drop from ~80 to ~66. If you're playing earnings (= you're expecting to burn down sold option value via a post-earnings drop in volatility), you want to generally be closer in expiration. Weeks, generally, not months.

Certainly the run up to earnings was a bit of a dud considering other 2020 volatility spikes, but at the same time, IV30 = 100 was a bit of a hope-real-hard number as opposed to an "expecting" number.

Potentially good news is that IV may hit a post-covid ~bottom in a couple weeks.
View attachment 631740

Of course, if you believe 2020 to be an anomaly, your outlook on IV is much different.
View attachment 631741

IV starting to drop on the call I sold it has gone down to 75%.

How did you get that IV view in the IB TWS? TIA

Does anyone know how to graph the different IV's or graph the IV of a certain call on E-trade or Power E-trade? Power E-trade has something called IV Constellation but I am not sure what I am looking at. There is not much info out about it.

I been selling naked and put spreads since my shares are tight up on the LEAPs that I sold. I been selling the naked puts way OTM about 30-25% out. So far I sold 10x 610P one week and 10x 600P the other and collected $2k and 3k accordingly for the weekly puts. I didn't sell any for this week but with the recent put premium increase late on Friday it might be worth it on Monday.

How did you get that IV view in the IB TWS? TIA

In TWS Mosaic, go to the New Window menu then down the bottom under Option Tools is Option Analysis. Hover on Option Analysis and you will be able to pick Volativity Over Time. Hover on this an you can select Implied Volativity By Expiry. This opens up a new graph where you can select various option expiry dates and time periods to see how the IV has varied for each expiry in the past.